:noey:

They took away from all the spontaneity that Muse used to have... We want them to change up the setlist but since the show is so structured, they can't just randomly break out into Muscle Museum or something. :erm:

but here's the thing, they weren't likely to randomly break into muscle museum or whatever at any shows anyway. It's just not their style and as far as I have ever seen it never has been. There are only two instances that I know of where they changed the setlist (they added CE at a show in south america and in russia they added MM), and I'm not sure that those were mid-show changes so much as last minute additions.

Given what we've seen since October, there is no logic behind the argument that the stage keeps them from playing different setlists.

With the towers they randomly did B&H and Sunburn in Turin, then RBS and Bliss in Edmonton.

They don't regularly play RBS even though it has ready-made graphics, yet they regularly play MKU which, as I recall from my gigs, is mostly just the camera feed.

They played Cave and Unintended in Europe with the tower setup but aren't playing either in North America.

They played Can't Take My Eyes off You randomly in Japan, where, while they didn't have the stage setup, they were projecting the towers - so apparently they found something to put up there.

The towers are only used for the first three songs, the piano songs and Overture. Even with that there are really only 3 songs where they "need" the towers to continue with the current show - Uprising, Resistance and Overture (NB could easily be done all on the ground or be replaced with something else since it's half and half) For the piano songs, the fact that they're on towers doesn't in any way force them to do Feeling Good rather than any number of other piano songs.

The stale setlists are not because of the stage, they're because of Muse. Sad, perhaps - but all the evidence points to it being true!

</good mood mini rant ;)>

but here's the thing, they weren't likely to randomly break into muscle museum or whatever at any shows anyway. It's just not their style and as far as I have ever seen it never has been. There are only two instances that I know of where they changed the setlist (they added CE at a show in south america and in russia they added MM), and I'm not sure that those were mid-show changes so much as last minute additions.

Given what we've seen since October, there is no logic behind the argument that the stage keeps them from playing different setlists.

With the towers they randomly did B&H and Sunburn in Turin, then RBS and Bliss in Edmonton.

They don't regularly play RBS even though it has ready-made graphics, yet they regularly play MKU which, as I recall from my gigs, is mostly just the camera feed.

They played Cave and Unintended in Europe with the tower setup but aren't playing either in North America.

They played Can't Take My Eyes off You randomly in Japan, where, while they didn't have the stage setup, they were projecting the towers - so apparently they found something to put up there.

The towers are only used for the first three songs, the piano songs and Overture. Even with that there are really only 3 songs where they "need" the towers to continue with the current show - Uprising, Resistance and Overture (NB could easily be done all on the ground or be replaced with something else since it's half and half) For the piano songs, the fact that they're on towers doesn't in any way force them to do Feeling Good rather than any number of other piano songs.

The stale setlists are not because of the stage, they're because of Muse. Sad, perhaps - but all the evidence points to it being true!

I applaud your mini-rant!:D I personally loved the towers. Of course, I'm somewhat easily dazzled by flashy things, especially when coupled with raucous noises. I didn't think during either show I went to that the towers were restricting ... they were used in various ways during the show. It's not like they had to stand on their little blocks the entire time ... Matt ran all over the place during a lot of songs, and the towers didn't preclude that. And a lot of the graphics on the towers could have been used during any song. And really, this is Muse ... if they feel like doing something, they'll do it. If they feel like not doing something, they'll not do it.

If there's anything detrimental about the towers (and this is only speculative), it would be that they may be a huge pain in the ass to pack up and assemble, which may be motivation to do a shorter setlist and get the whole operation rolling to the next destination earlier. But I'm not a roadie nor a rock star or manager, etc., so I really have no idea how the elaborateness of a stage set affects touring.

Then again, I wasn't at all perturbed by the setlist to begin with, so maybe my opinion is ... :$

I didn't just wanna say I think they hate the east coast because it sounds pretty unintelligent, but yeah. It seems like they have more fun at the shows out west, and that's sort of where Bliss and RBS popped up.

I also feel like Matt's the setlist nazi, I'm sure we'd see more variety if Dom & Chris were choosing the songs :p

I didn't just wanna say I think they hate the east coast because it sounds pretty unintelligent, but yeah. It seems like they have more fun at the shows out west, and that's sort of where Bliss and RBS popped up.

Maybe they only play the east coast due to us having all the big name venues, thus they play only their bigger songs. While in the other areas, they don't have to worry too much about making a name for themselves so they throw in some songs that the fans want. *shrug* Ionno. I'm probably over thinking this. D:

Maybe they only play the east coast due to us having all the big name venues, thus they play only their bigger songs. While in the other areas, they don't have to worry too much about making a name for themselves so they throw in some songs that the fans want. *shrug* Ionno. I'm probably over thinking this. D:

This is why I want them to play the House of Blues in Cleveland. Very small, very intimate. :phu:

I think the Towers are fine. They can change up the set list with or without the towers. If they don't have video, just use camera footage. And they've played RBS, Bliss, Cave, and Unintended using them, yet they never shuffle those in.

Honestly though, while it was missing some songs I want to hear, I was still content with the set list in Houston and had an amazing time. Changing it or adding in some things would be nice, but if I had a chance to go to another show with the exact same set list, I would still do it.

House of Blues at any city would be great, but I doubt they would do it. I haven't been to the Houston one but it looks like a nice place. MGMT just announced a date there, I'm considering going.

I think the Towers are fine. They can change up the set list with or without the towers. If they don't have video, just use camera footage. And they've played RBS, Bliss, Cave, and Unintended using them, yet they never shuffle those in.

Honestly though, while it was missing some songs I want to hear, I was still content with the set list in Houston and had an amazing time. Changing it or adding in some things would be nice, but if I had a chance to go to another show with the exact same set list, I would still do it.

House of Blues at any city would be great, but I doubt they would do it. I haven't been to the Houston one but it looks like a nice place. MGMT just announced a date there, I'm considering going.

Boo, I wanna go to MGMT but I'll be in DC working for my mom that week. :(

Sorry, don't watch it :chuckle:

Doctor Who, on the other hand... :ninja:

I grew up on Seinfeld :D, that and Alf.

I've never seen Dr. Who though. For the most part I don't watch a whole lot of British TV. With the exception of anything Ricky Gervais touches and Dead Set (which was like the best tv series ever).

I grew up on Seinfeld :D, that and Alf.

I've never seen Dr. Who though. For the most part I don't watch a whole lot of British TV. With the exception of anything Ricky Gervais touches and Dead Set (which was like the best tv series ever).

I watch Doctor Who and Torchwood... and pretty much no TV besdes that :)

When it comes to movies though, I prefer older ones like Back to the Future and Ghostbusters. :awesome:

House of Blues here in Houston is great. I saw Arctic Monkeys there last year and it was badass. The only shitty part is the way they handle the line. You have to drop a good amount of cash to get to the front of the line.

House of Blues here in Houston is great. I saw Arctic Monkeys there last year and it was badass. The only shitty part is the way they handle the line. You have to drop a good amount of cash to get to the front of the line.

What do you mean? I want to know because I may go see Miyavi there this summer, or Wondergirls and 2PM. Yeah Asian pop!

I wanted to go see the Arctic Monkeys there but didn't get to.

So, your spot in line has to do more with dropping cash than getting there early?

I've been to the Woodlands Pavilion (For .38 Special/REO SpeedWagon/Styx, my parents wanted to go and I just tagged along), which is pretty nice, Reliant Stadium (Muse/U2) which is huge but doesnt have great sound, and Toyota Center (SSPU/Muse) which was great, and I'm going to the Verizon Wireless Theater to see Two Door Cinema Club and Phoenix, which looks like a cool place. If I go to the House of Blues one I can say I've been to pretty much every venue that matters in Houston, and all in the last year :p

Still not sold on the MGMT show though, probably going to be a lot of trouble to go. Going to see their set lists for other shows to see what they play (I noticed they only played 12 or 13 songs at this set a week or two ago) and ask around for opinions on them live, I haven't heard great things so far.

Man, it'd be killer if Muse would play one of the smaller venues like Verizon or House of Blues, but I know itd never happen

What do you mean? I want to know because I may go see Miyavi there this summer, or Wondergirls and 2PM. Yeah Asian pop!

You have to either spend money at the restaurant or buy merch from the HoB store. We didn't know this until after we had arrived. Thankfully my sister had some extra cash and went down to buy a t shirt. Then you use your receipt to show proof and you get to go ahead of people who haven't purchased stuff.

I wanted to go see the Arctic Monkeys there but didn't get to.

So, your spot in line has to do more with dropping cash than getting there early?

I've been to the Woodlands Pavilion (For .38 Special/REO SpeedWagon/Styx, my parents wanted to go and I just tagged along), which is pretty nice, Reliant Stadium (Muse/U2) which is huge but doesnt have great sound, and Toyota Center (SSPU/Muse) which was great, and I'm going to the Verizon Wireless Theater to see Two Door Cinema Club and Phoenix, which looks like a cool place. If I go to the House of Blues one I can say I've been to pretty much every venue that matters in Houston, and all in the last year :p

Still not sold on the MGMT show though, probably going to be a lot of trouble to go. Going to see their set lists for other shows to see what they play (I noticed they only played 12 or 13 songs at this set a week or two ago) and ask around for opinions on them live, I haven't heard great things so far.

Man, it'd be killer if Muse would play one of the smaller venues like Verizon or House of Blues, but I know itd never happen

Unfortunately yeah. That's the only thing we didn't like about the venue. You either have to buy merch from their store or buy food from their restaurant. They give you a receipt and that's proof of purchase.

You have to either spend money at the restaurant or buy merch from the HoB store. We didn't know this until after we had arrived. Thankfully my sister had some extra cash and went down to buy a t shirt. Then you use your receipt to show proof and you get to go ahead of people who haven't purchased stuff.

Did they have T-shirts for the band playing? I could deal with getting an MGMT shirt, but just a House of Blues shirt would be eh.

Do you just have to have a receipt proving you bought SOMETHING or does it have to be something like a t-shirt? Like could I buy something cheap in there (if there is anything) and use that? Or do you even know?

Archived