bass guitar

nendo

Hello. I have been playing bass guitar for over 3 years now. and tbh at this very moment in time i feel like i am going backwards at an increassing rapid pace.

I was at one time an ok bass player. Not fantastic but ok. But now when i listen to myself play it just sounds aweful.

I am currently finding that i have lost my technique when plucking by fingers. it sounds aweful and i find it harder and harder to switch from string to string without causing a pause between notes.

I take it i have hit the WALL at the top of the hill and it now rolling back down the hill getting faster and faster.

Would it be worth my while in paying for a couple of lessons to get me back on track?

anyone else have these problems?

I feel like I have hit a wall and I'm not getting any better, although I don't think I'm getting worse. Maybe a couple of lessons would be helpful although maybe just sitting down and doing a bit of practice each day might help get you back to where you used to be.

I don't think that you've hit a wall, but that you've become more critical of your own playing. A few lessons should improve your playing, but you can also do some simple exercises to get rid of these issues.

just start out with some songs slowly, and increase speed to improve your plucking technique, SMBH should be good for that one, because it is changing strings etc...

Lessons will also be good if you know what to ask.

You would have to be retarded to get worse. If previously you were playing fingerstyle and to you it sounded good, and now you're playing fingerstyle and to you it sounds worse than before, you have serious issues. Go to a teacher! If he finds out what's going on (acid in your cereal?) let us know.

If it's just that you've got more critical of your playing, then that's a good thing, just keep practising.

maybe youre just a bit dissatisfied with your playing. for example, i played the groove the other day and thought it was alright. then i saw musematts cover and nearly cried myself to sleep that night.:LOL:

i guess what im saying is dont get too down on yourself, cos if you really enjoy it you can only get better.

maybe youre just a bit dissatisfied with your playing. for example, i played the groove the other day and thought it was alright. then i saw musematts cover and nearly cried myself to sleep that night.:LOL:

i guess what im saying is dont get too down on yourself, cos if you really enjoy it you can only get better.

my covers aren't meant to do that :(

Have you changed your set up at all? Sometimes for me (Though I AM a retard) really simple things seem to effect how I perceive my playing. If I change one single dial even a small bit on my amp or an effect, I can start playing crummy and fuss about what's so wrong.

Don't get me wrong, you can see from pretty much any post I've written in the past I know NOTHING, but that's what happens to me and it's just a case of getting over it.. one day it just sounds better. Trouble is when I start thinking I'm playing bad, I start loosing interest and then continue to play terribly. Just keep trying.

make sure you practice often, im sure im not as good with guitar as i was a couple of years back, but im out of practice. i ended up only playing guitar when i played gigs, which was also the only time i would play with my band. i try and practice more now.

just play a lot and you'll keep it up. every day if you can

When I had first started playing I was pretty good for the first year, stopped playing for about a month, picked it up again and was greeted by the sound of something similar to a cat being raped by a drill :D Did you stop playing for a large period of time? If so, then maybe you're simply out of practice. It happens to everyone ^_^

Since you've been playing for over 3 years, just DON'T STOP PLAYING, no matter how crappy you may think you sound. If you really want to, try a pick, it's easier and faster for some people (not me!) Try some easy songs, that involve a bit of switching strings, then get progressivley harder, even if you feel like you're starting over again.

If nothing really works, then maybe a bass just isn't your instrument ;)

Hi

It really depends on what you're trying to play, but for the most part Ibanez is a really good brand that doesn't usually cost too much. If you can spend a little more money I would suggest a schecter.

To get used to the bass clef, just pretend the entire staff got moved down. If you've noticed the G is on the first line instead of on the second line. So just pretend the G is really still on the second line and go from there. Or really starting with any note.

i did go on holiday for two weeks haha but then again two weeks should be that bad? and it was getting worse before that. maybe it is just my perception or that i aint concentrating enough anymore. hmmm will try a few thigns out. thanks

i did go on holiday for two weeks haha but then again two weeks should be that bad? and it was getting worse before that. maybe it is just my perception or that i aint concentrating enough anymore. hmmm will try a few thigns out. thanks

pardon me..i'm curious...do you have a band you play with or people you jam with? any negatives from them?

i hate to think what i'll be sounding like when i get home. six weeks without my bass! :'(

:rolleyes:

hope you improve soon! :awesome:

pardon me..i'm curious...do you have a band you play with or people you jam with? any negatives from them?

i hate to think what i'll be sounding like when i get home. six weeks without my bass! :'(

:rolleyes:

hope you improve soon! :awesome:

nargh. not practiced with someone for quite a while. just on my own tbh

• 1 year later...

I'm a classical musician most of the time and I've just bought a cheap bass and amp off ebay just to branch out for fun. When I'm not playing the bass but the amp is on, ie while im just looking at the tabs or something, theres a background static hiss coming from the speak that only goes away if you turn the volume right down. Have i got the setting wrong, is this normal or is it just because i have cheap equipment?

I'm a classical musician most of the time and I've just bought a cheap bass and amp off ebay just to branch out for fun. When I'm not playing the bass but the amp is on, ie while im just looking at the tabs or something, theres a background static hiss coming from the speak that only goes away if you turn the volume right down. Have i got the setting wrong, is this normal or is it just because i have cheap equipment?

Does the noise go when you turn down the amp volume? Or the bass volume?

If the noise is still there when your bass is turned down, then the noise is probably in the amp (although could be a dodjgy cable). If the noise goes away when you turn your bass down, you have a noisy bass. Shielding could help, but if you bought a cheap shit bass, you probably have cheap shit noisy pups.

Does the noise go when you turn down the amp volume? Or the bass volume?

If the noise is still there when your bass is turned down, then the noise is probably in the amp (although could be a dodjgy cable). If the noise goes away when you turn your bass down, you have a noisy bass. Shielding could help, but if you bought a cheap shit bass, you probably have cheap shit noisy pups.

the noise goes away when you turn the amp down, whats shielding/pups

/noob

• 2 weeks later...

Archived