Guitar for similar sound to Muse/Matt Bellamy?

Liam-Muse

Well i really need a new guitar but don't have the money for any sort of Manons signature. Therefore, anyone know of a guitar which has a similar sort of sound to Matt's guitars?

I was going to buy an Ibanez and kit it out with a MBK-2 pickup set but maybe i shouldn't. Max price i can really go to is about £450, £500 is pushing it but might be able to get the money. :/

Anyone got any ideas?

Hey thnks for all your asnwers. After working things out ive decided that if i can stay away from spending money :stunned: i can probably go up to £1,100 - not that i really need to spend anywhere near that lol.

Thanks for your answers anyway. I'll probably go with a Tele or an Ibanez.

Hey thnks for all your asnwers. After working things out ive decided that if i can stay away from spending money :stunned: i can probably go up to £1,100 - not that i really need to spend anywhere near that lol.

Thanks for your answers anyway. I'll probably go with a Tele or an Ibanez.

Get one of those err 2009 custom teles with two humbuckers (they're £600) and replace 'em with nailbombs :D

• 1 year later...
You won't get Matt's tone by buying his Manson guitars. I have one and trust me it doesn't sound like him, its down to his amps and boosting of mid frequencies of which there are many.

Which one do you have?..

The MBK2 is a huge part of his sound, and also, you can hear quite a difference when he switches from an MBK2 equipped guitar, to a dual bridge P90 equipped guitar. So I wouldn't say it's all down to his amps.

Which one do you have?..

The MBK2 is a huge part of his sound, and also, you can hear quite a difference when he switches from an MBK2 equipped guitar, to a dual bridge P90 equipped guitar. So I wouldn't say it's all down to his amps.

I think my ear is not as trained as yours, and I'm interested in the topic. What are those differences? If there is any video to show it, feel free!

I think my ear is not as trained as yours, and I'm interested in the topic. What are those differences? If there is any video to show it, feel free!

Take this for example - dual P90 guitar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKJP4eClJok

sounds a bit more attacking, has a bit more clarity, not quite as 'beefy' as...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYYPOQ7nZnw

single bridge MBK2 humbucker - just an overall heavier sound, but it doesn't seem to have as much clarity as the P90s do.

Only other thing is that sometimes I think he has the upper pickup on sometimes with the dual P90 guitars - not always the bridge alone.

But I think there is a difference when he switches to a guitar with a different pickup configuration.

Take this for example - dual P90 guitar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JKJP4eClJok

sounds a bit more attacking, has a bit more clarity, not quite as 'beefy' as...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fYYPOQ7nZnw

single bridge MBK2 humbucker - just an overall heavier sound, but it doesn't seem to have as much clarity as the P90s do.

Only other thing is that sometimes I think he has the upper pickup on sometimes with the dual P90 guitars - not always the bridge alone.

But I think there is a difference when he switches to a guitar with a different pickup configuration.

It's always tricky for me to tell as I'm never sure if it's the pickup or the effects. Neck/Bridge pickup is easier to tell though (I think for Plug in Baby he uses both, is that right?). Thanks for the info!

I'd say for plug in baby he uses only the bridge (that's the mirror manson which has two humbucker sized P90s in their normal positions) - otherwise it could get a little muddy sounding with the fuzz

but here, with the dual bridge P90 guitar..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mddXUCXqBAs

the beginning (house of the rising sun intro) sounds like the bridge pickup only, but that riff at the end (5:00) sounds like he has the upper pickup mixed in too - almost like a neck pickup sound, but not quite, since he's probably got both pickups on, and the top pickup is closer to the bridge than usual.

I'm really found of the "neck" P90 in my dual p90 setup, a little thicker, but still bright with lots of attack. I find when both P90's are selected, it sounds a little strat like in the middle position when clean.

How have you got it wired?

Simno got his new Manson with that pickup setup recently, and it's wired like this...

1. bridge alone

2. bridge and neck separately

3. neck alone

BUT, there's a push pull which makes them act as a humbucker, and he says it's HUGE sounding.

How have you got it wired?

Simno got his new Manson with that pickup setup recently, and it's wired like this...

1. bridge alone

2. bridge and neck separately

3. neck alone

BUT, there's a push pull which makes them act as a humbucker, and he says it's HUGE sounding.

Setting aside the neck sustainer, i have a seperate 3 way toggle that wires into the other 3 way toggle into the bridge pickups position. Sounds kinda weird...

Theres a 3 way toggle where I can select the neck, bridge, or both P90's to be on. Once that is selected, it inputs the signal into the other 3 way toggle as a normal guitar. So you can choose sustainer pickup, sustainer and p90's, or just p90's.

I asked Bareknuckle how to wire them together awhile back, and they said do just that. Connect them so they are both on. However, I think I may have missed something. They did a reverse wind on one of them, so they do "cancel hum." I'll throw up a video shortly.

Archived