Guitar for similar sound to Muse/Matt Bellamy?

Liam-Muse

Nice,

I think I understand how you've got it wired - I'm not actually sure if Simno's guitar is wired so you can use the sustainer as an actual pickup...hmm

I'm not sure how they're supposed to be wound if you're using them as one huge humbucker, but I would assume no different than each coil in a standard humbucker (one needs to be reverse wound)

I always get a ton more beef with my tokai 3 pup sg when in the middle position, its the neck and middle pup out of phase. Saying that they are paf's but it would be interesting to see if those dual p90's are wired in parallel or out of phase depending if they are hotly wound etc...

I always get a ton more beef with my tokai 3 pup sg when in the middle position, its the neck and middle pup out of phase. Saying that they are paf's but it would be interesting to see if those dual p90's are wired in parallel or out of phase depending if they are hotly wound etc...

That'd be interesting to hear! I wonder how it would work if I switched the phase of it while still having to be wired into the sustainer.

• 3 months later...
Which one do you have?..

The MBK2 is a huge part of his sound, and also, you can hear quite a difference when he switches from an MBK2 equipped guitar, to a dual bridge P90 equipped guitar. So I wouldn't say it's all down to his amps.

I am fortunate to have an MB1. No doubt there are some differences between his individual guitars but his signature sound now is a very 'jangily' sound that feels stratish but still has massive amounts of poke. I can't get that sound on any pickup setting on the MB1 so I assume he has some serious mid range boosting going on with either that Diezel Amp head or some additional equalisation.

I think the basics for the Bellz0r toanz would be:

MBK2/Motherbucker/Bare Knuckle pickup

Fuzz Factory

ProCo Rat

MXR 6 Band EQ

Not really sure about an amp, can't really recommend a Diezel as they're shit expensive. I think most valve amps would suffice. I used a Peavey Royal 8 Valve King and use the ProCo Turbo Rat for distortion, Digitech Bad Monkey for crunch and EHX Little Big Muff Pi for teh fuzz.

A phaser might come in useful too, either MXR Phase 90 or 100.

I am fortunate to have an MB1. No doubt there are some differences between his individual guitars but his signature sound now is a very 'jangily' sound that feels stratish but still has massive amounts of poke. I can't get that sound on any pickup setting on the MB1 so I assume he has some serious mid range boosting going on with either that Diezel Amp head or some additional equalisation.

That's because he mostly plays guitars with P90s in them.

Matt has weird mids.

Bells has a MXR 6-band EQ in his effects for mid boosting.

I don't think he uses that for his main sound though. It's definitely switched on during some solos and outros though.

I'd personally suggest something along these lines:

Whatever guitar you want with your choice of muse whatever era pickups: motherbucker, miss. queen, mbk, etc..

Amp: Either an AC30 or say a JVM of some sort. Wait, Laney's are from the UK right? One of those might fit the bill fairly well as they are a pretty good combo of Voxy/Marshally and incredible amps at that.

Pedals:

-Zfux fuzz factory or any fuzz face variant

-Phase 90

-Whammy IV

-A good versatile delay pedal such as the DL-4 or Boss DD-20

-A 10 band EQ to change your amps sound...not necessarily for mid boosts but it obviously can be used that way. You can enormously change your amps character with an EQ pedal in the loop.

If you picked the AC30 then a good Marshally distortion such as the wampler plextortion, the MI Audio crunchbox or one of the 9000 others.

Matt's distorted sound is very low-mid heavy. Both Diezels and Bogners share that characteristic. Bogners just don't have the sizzly high end that Diezels do.

'Sup!

I'm thinking about buying a new guitar, and I really like the tone, shape and pretty much everything about the Telecaster 72' with the Humbuckers. Exactly like this one (http://mansons.co.uk/shopping/search/popular-modded-guitars/squier/fuzz-factory-tele-custom-electric-guitar/zoomimage-1.html) only without the fuzz factory.

Does this modified Tele keep the original tone and only adds de fuzz factory and how much difference does it make from the original Tele to the Squier?

Thanks!

'Sup!

I'm thinking about buying a new guitar, and I really like the tone, shape and pretty much everything about the Telecaster 72' with the Humbuckers. Exactly like this one (http://mansons.co.uk/shopping/search/popular-modded-guitars/squier/fuzz-factory-tele-custom-electric-guitar/zoomimage-1.html) only without the fuzz factory.

Does this modified Tele keep the original tone and only adds de fuzz factory and how much difference does it make from the original Tele to the Squier?

Thanks!

For the love of god don't buy a Fender from Mansons. I just have to assume it'd be the most overpriced guitar on earth. Just buy from a regular old shop.

Both the tele custom you linked and the tele deluxe Russel_A linked are great guitars. Couldn't go wrong with those.

For the love of god don't buy a Fender from Mansons. I just have to assume it'd be the most overpriced guitar on earth. Just buy from a regular old shop.

Both the tele custom you linked and the tele deluxe Russel_A linked are great guitars. Couldn't go wrong with those.

Hum... I didn't find it that expensive. It's a Squier, but it also has a Fuzz Factory installed. I mean, the original '72 deluxe reissued Russel_A linked is about $780,00 in the US, where I intend to buy it. I'm brazilian, so everything here is extremely overpriced. The '72 is aprox. $1.800,00 over here :(

I love the 72's, so I want to know if there is such a huge difference between their tones. If Manson's is the '72 + Fuzz Factory, then it wil be enough for me. If it's a bad guitar with a FF it won't.

Thanks for the help!

Hum... I didn't find it that expensive. It's a Squier, but it also has a Fuzz Factory installed. I mean, the original '72 deluxe reissued Russel_A linked is about $780,00 in the US, where I intend to buy it. I'm brazilian, so everything here is extremely overpriced. The '72 is aprox. $1.800,00 over here :(

Buy a guitar from America and get it shipped to Brazil?

Either way you are shipping a guitar if you decide to buy from Mansons. The fuzz factory doesnt make the guitar bad, just hugely expensive. The guitar they have modified is a Squier, so its the budet fender. By no means are they bad! but better quality woods and craftsanship can be found in American Fenders.

Hope this helps.

Buy a guitar from America and get it shipped to Brazil?

Either way you are shipping a guitar if you decide to buy from Mansons. The fuzz factory doesnt make the guitar bad, just hugely expensive. The guitar they have modified is a Squier, so its the budet fender. By no means are they bad! but better quality woods and craftsanship can be found in American Fenders.

Hope this helps.

There is a version with the Fender MIM '72 Tele though, you get the badass Tele with a FF, win win :happy: In fact I'll admit I've thought of getting one...

http://www.mansons.co.uk/shopping/categories/popular-modded-guitars/fender/fender-72-tele-deluxe-custom-fuzz-factory-electric-guitar/

There is a version with the Fender MIM '72 Tele though, you get the badass Tele with a FF, win win :happy: In fact I'll admit I've thought of getting one...

http://www.mansons.co.uk/shopping/categories/popular-modded-guitars/fender/fender-72-tele-deluxe-custom-fuzz-factory-electric-guitar/

Two words.

The price.

Fender 72 Deluxe

so they want £570 for a fuzz factory and a scratchplate installed...

Guess I'm going for the '72, since I already tested it and it sounded pretty awesome. I'm playing safe ;)

BTW, I'm visiting London in february. Any tips about some good music stores?

Thanks, guys!

Apparently locals hate Denmark St. (prolly because everything is overpriced as it's a bit of a tourist thing) but I highly reccomend it, had a blast and saw some neat stuff :)

Archived