Guest Batman.
My Electronic EP is up!! :awesome: It's taken months of work but its finally ready :awesome::awesome:

[soundcloud]

[/soundcloud]

Sounds alright, just it's quite repetitive.

A lot of your stuff makes me think of weird neo-noir films, especially that Hugo thing on your soundcloud. In a good way, though :awesome:

Not particularly this though.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone !! :)

First sorry for my english, i'm french but i 'll give my best to speak english correctly (LOL). :LOL:

I hope I'm not on the wrong forum to post my covers. ;) I'll let you look at my last cover of Supremacy, from Muse of course : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAVnwjXCj9o .

Feel free to comment and "like" as you feel ! :happy: Thanks everyone. Je vous fais un gros smack de la france ! Merci !!

The vocals went through a PA, but it's hard to put the Zoom H2N in a 'perfect' spot. Will experiment with that a bit more :)

And Enter Sandman? :LOL: I had NOT expected that as a reference.

:LOL: I just listened and thought, Enter Sandman? Probably a little bit but I doubt they were thinking it.

Either way, you captured a lot with it. I find vocals are hardest to get when recording a whole band setting anyway, especially with something like the Zoom.

Also, I need monitors so I can mix this but here's a song that sounds like Muse apparently despite the fact that I (playing bass) am the only one that listens to Muse. I may have posted it before maybe to demonstrate a drum recording but this was a live instrumental with vocals quickly done over the top.

[soundcloud]

[/soundcloud]

@Δ, instantly listening. Thought Portishead. I approve, now I'm going to have to listen into that station if you guys get lucky enough to have a play on there :) A slight criticism, not that I can really talk about mixing/recording too much after what I just posted but the vocals sound quality could sound clearer. I understand the effect you want though, just sounds too pre-washed. That keyboard intro is nice though, reminds me I should start playing the keyboard a bit more. :)

Edited by Crowella

@Δ, instantly listening. Thought Portishead. I approve, now I'm going to have to listen into that station if you guys get lucky enough to have a play on there :) A slight criticism, not that I can really talk about mixing/recording too much after what I just posted but the vocals sound quality could sound clearer. I understand the effect you want though, just sounds too pre-washed. That keyboard intro is nice though, reminds me I should start playing the keyboard a bit more. :)

thanks for the feedback! Even though the vocal performance is great, I wasn't 100% happy with the recording quality of it, but it's all I could use. After EQing to remove the pretty terrible hum it was sounding pretty muffled, so I really did all I could with it. I still cringe a little bit in parts but i've come to the conclusion I'll never be perfectly happy with a mix :LOL:

thanks for the feedback! Even though the vocal performance is great' date=' I wasn't 100% happy with the recording quality of it, but it's all I could use. After EQing to remove the pretty terrible hum it was sounding pretty muffled, so I really did all I could with it. I still cringe a little bit in parts but i've come to the conclusion I'll never be perfectly happy with a mix :LOL:[/quote']

No probs. I was trying to remember who it was here that posted about terrible hum. Out of interest, how did you go about recording vocals? Was it room buzz, mic buzz or other things?

In my song I just posted, I hate my bass tone. Partly because it was my first time with that amp so it wasn't set but also the studio failed to send me one of the two bass tracks recorded so it sounds thinner than it should have. I kind of brought it out as much as I could but I needed it since I kind of play most from the low E to the 19th fret or something on the G which requires a bit more than just a picked out tone.

Don't think it's possible to be happy with a mix. You just abandon it when it's good enough. Probably, I don't know, who takes my advice. :LOL:

No probs. I was trying to remember who it was here that posted about terrible hum. Out of interest, how did you go about recording vocals? Was it room buzz, mic buzz or other things?

In my song I just posted, I hate my bass tone. Partly because it was my first time with that amp so it wasn't set but also the studio failed to send me one of the two bass tracks recorded so it sounds thinner than it should have. I kind of brought it out as much as I could but I needed it since I kind of play most from the low E to the 19th fret or something on the G which requires a bit more than just a picked out tone.

Don't think it's possible to be happy with a mix. You just abandon it when it's good enough. Probably, I don't know, who takes my advice. :LOL:

It was actually the first time I've ever recorded vocals. It recorded straight into my Zoom R8 interface, and I assume it was almost all mic buzz because I've been having issues with that input for ages so put the gain up way too high so I could get the volume we needed (bad move :LOL:)

That song you just posted is great! You're right about the bass part having a huge range, and due to that it can lack a little bit in times. But honestly its nothing big to worry about, I would never have picked a problem with it unless you pointed it out, and it being all I'm thinking about while listening.

I caught a session on production at Bigsound (a music conference in Brisbane) this year and the general message about a mix was to find something that you don't immediately hear something that desperately needs to be fixed while listening, then its time to let it go. Definitely a good point to keep in mind when you're not sure if you're happy with what you've ended up with

• 3 weeks later...
Getting our heavy on :LOL:

We finally got a drummer too. While he won't be our recording drummer, at least we might be able to gig soon. :D

Anyway, basically, we just took a take or two each at this so again, not perfect but we need to get a few recorded.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/adamcrowell1990/the-architect-demo[/soundcloud]

Sounding really really good for a demo! What's your recording setup for this one?

Getting our heavy on :LOL:

We finally got a drummer too. While he won't be our recording drummer, at least we might be able to gig soon. :D

Anyway, basically, we just took a take or two each at this so again, not perfect but we need to get a few recorded.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/adamcrowell1990/the-architect-demo[/soundcloud]

:eek:You guys are amazing!

Sounding really really good for a demo! What's your recording setup for this one?

We cheated a bit here. We used EZDrummer and an electronic drumkit for the drums because my mics have been sent off overseas for repair and I'm too broke to get them back here :$ That said, the drummer did 100% of the work, no edits, no repositioning of the MIDI track. You'll even find there is no closed hi-hat because we don't even have a working pedal for the electronic kit. :LOL: Also if I recall, the song had to be split into two takes for the drums at the tempo change part because Logic kept running out of memory on us at random times which was strange.

The bass is a mix of DI and a condenser mic on the cab. Oddly enough, the guitar is actually recorded the same way through my bass amp also but using a ME50 for the distortion and effects. It just made it easy to do quickly and in a tight space. The Wangcaster features too as the weird solo bits. :happy:

:eek:You guys are amazing!

Aww, thanks :$

We cheated a bit here. We used EZDrummer and an electronic drumkit for the drums because my mics have been sent off overseas for repair and I'm too broke to get them back here :$ That said, the drummer did 100% of the work, no edits, no repositioning of the MIDI track. You'll even find there is no closed hi-hat because we don't even have a working pedal for the electronic kit. :LOL: Also if I recall, the song had to be split into two takes for the drums at the tempo change part because Logic kept running out of memory on us at random times which was strange.

The bass is a mix of DI and a condenser mic on the cab. Oddly enough, the guitar is actually recorded the same way through my bass amp also but using a ME50 for the distortion and effects. It just made it easy to do quickly and in a tight space. The Wangcaster features too as the weird solo bits. :happy:

You fooled me with the drum track! I thought it had such a great sound, here I was wanting to know what you used to get such a good sound :LOL:

I still wouldn't call it cheating, you a really impressive demo out of it! Really good sound for something that was done in what I'm assuming was a short amount of time :)

[soundcloud]

[/soundcloud]

posted this one a while ago, but here is a mixed and mastered version :D

still some of that mic buzz lingering over the mix at the beginning, but they did a better job of hiding it without destroying clarity of the track than i could!

• 2 weeks later...
[soundcloud]
[/soundcloud]

posted this one a while ago, but here is a mixed and mastered version :D

still some of that mic buzz lingering over the mix at the beginning, but they did a better job of hiding it without destroying clarity of the track than i could!

Ohhh this is super chill. Nice drum programming and vocals, especially.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/superimposition/this-is-a-wip[/soundcloud]

This isn't done yet, obviously. It's only bass up until now, I'll add beats, a synthline and maybe vocals.

• 2 weeks later...
Ohhh this is super chill. Nice drum programming and vocals, especially.

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/superimposition/this-is-a-wip[/soundcloud]

This isn't done yet, obviously. It's only bass up until now, I'll add beats, a synthline and maybe vocals.

I think it's a pretty good bass line. Done anything new on it?

Another song, this time from my other band. Bit more calm and electronic.

[soundcloud]

[/soundcloud]