Most progressive?  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Most progressive?

Knights of Cydonia seems an obvious choice for me but then again, Citizen Erased has more sections...it would help if we all knew the absolute definition of prog rock.

progressive = change in change signatures, tempos, not really repeating sections, technical, more in common with a classical score rather than 3min pop etc

basically, muse aren't a prog band, even citizen erased isn't, just a change in sound for the second verse, the chords don't change from the first and it has a chorus that's played three times, it's only the change to the outro that's anything close to 'progressive'.

Floyd were, but more-so the likes of Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, back at the time when it all kicked off. There is an argument to be made for it kicking off earlier (early-to-mid-60s), particularly after Sgt. Peppers came out.

Hm, Rush were prog as well weren't they?

Hm, Rush were prog as well weren't they?

Yes, but Rush didn't realy get going until 74 and never got any huge notoriety until the 80s.

+ They were Canadian, and progressive music as it was over here didn't take off in the way it did here. Listen to Rush, and then listen to Yes' or Genesis' music from 70-73 - the difference in style, despite fundamentally being 'prog' bands is immense.

Also, and I'm not trying to slate you, but I hate the way that whenever the word 'prog' comes up, the first two bands are always Pink Floyd and Rush - they were prog bands, yes, as far as I'm concerned, they were in no way the backbone/coreof 70s prog music.

Albums to check out:

- Yes - The Yes Album

- King Crimson - In The Court Of The Crimson King

- Genesis - Nursery Cryme

- Jethro Tull - Living In The Past

Progressives tendencies really got into "mainstream" from an originally German scene titled "Kraut Rock", which influenced from early sixties to seventies. Check out Amon Düül 2, Neu! and Can for example. The Brit acts got their influences from there.

Muse aren't prog at all, it's just that the music press have decided that they are the acceptable face of what they're calling modern-prog, or some such.

Song length does not = progressive.

I also think that the media think that anything that isn't poppy indie ...rubbish is somehow not mainstream and therefore must be prog "or sumfink"

Muse aren't prog at all, it's just that the music press have decided that they are the acceptable face of what they're calling modern-prog, or some such.

Song length does not = progressive.

This is truth. If song length equated progressiveness, then we would all have to think of Sister Ray by Velvet Underground (17 minutes) as the original prog epic, despite it only have three chords and bearing more of a resemblance to punk than anything else. Muse are definitely not prog, and they will probably never write a prog song. It would be interesting if they do, so long as they do it with some maturity and don't just paste stylistically inappropriate piano solos in at random points.

I don't think Pink Floyd can be classed as prog, by the way. They have a couple of prog songs like Dogs and SOYCD, but the vast majority of their output is straight forward and sticks to normal song structures. They covered far too many styles for one tag to be applied to them.

NEU! didn't really have an influence on the prog movement because it was already in full swing by the time their first album came out. They tended to go for minamlistic song structures rather than writing long suites, so I don't see them as progressive on a purely musical level. Their influence was more prominent in later electronic music than anything else. Bowie wanted Michael Rother to play guitar for him on Low, which is one of those LPs that influenced so-called 'industrial' music like NIN (I don't think they're industrial at all, but whatever) and various other electronic-based groups.

The Krautrock movement was strange. Some of it definitely influenced prog, but it also had a strong influence on punk and post-punk. A lot of it was contemporary to prog, so it's difficult to tell exactly who was influenced by it. The first proper Krautrock LPs came out in 1969 (Monster Movie and Phallus Dei), but the likes of Zappa, Soft Machine, Van der Graaf Generator, The Nice and King Crimson were already active by then, so the prog scene was already happening.

I think electric Miles Davis probably had as much influence as the early Krautrock albums.

Bowie wanted Michael Rother to play guitar for him on Low, which is one of those LPs that influenced so-called 'industrial' music like NIN (I don't think they're industrial at all, but whatever) and various other electronic-based groups.

NIN aren't industrial, but clearly influenced by it.

If you want Prog from Muse, listen to Radiohead :LOL:

Archived