Guardian Webchat

Jobby

Matt and Dom are doing a live webchat and answering fan questions for The Guardian on Friday at 12pm GMT.

Get yer questions in the comments here. If you’re like me and sad enough to bother signing up. At 3am.

(I managed to go 2 questions before pretty much outright requesting HT&ILY though, so yay me)

Edited by Jobby

Full answers: https://www.theguardian.com/music/musicblog/live/2018/feb/13/muse-webchat-thought-contagion-matt-bellamy-dominic-howard

Includes answers referring to Matt and Dom's dogs, Origin of Muse now possibly being a Showbiz 20th anniversary release, the Drones Tour DVD taking longer to work than anticipated but still in development, the idea of doing more rarity small shows, whether or not the band lurk on this place, and a denial that Augmented Flex is the name of the new album.

Interesting.

Regarding rarities, it's more likely that we'll do occasional shows for the hardcore fans that want rare and early material. Regarding the bigger shows, the majority of the audience don't respond to the rare deep cuts. And filler songs - sometimes I need a vocal break. - MB

Was surprised they picked a question addressing the live filler. Answer wasn’t particularly thrilling like but y’know. Same old story w/ rarities, pretty much exclusively at small shows ‘cos “people don’t know ‘em”.

Mixed between laughing and actually feeling quite sorry for Matt when he said he stopped visiting the board after he saw Supermassive’s reaction. On the one hand - bloody hell, that’s a long grudge to hold and you must’ve seen it coming but on the other - it must’ve hurt/annoyed him a decent amount to stop him coming permanently.

Thought Contagion confirmed for La Cigale as well, prefaced with a ‘be warned’.

That did make me laugh tbf. Was it that bad when SMBH first came out?

I mean...can you not imagine? :chuckle: Look at the reception something like Dig Down/Thought Contagion gets, and that’s off the back of 3 records that haven’t really landed with the fanbase. Supermassive’s only predecessors were Showbiz, Origin and Absolution.

I have heard tales of how bad it’s reaction was though. People genuinely convinced it had to be a joke and whatnot. Invincible was kinda the Guiding Light of their discography back then as well iirc. Until, well, Guiding Light came out.

Edited by Jobby

I mean...can you not imagine? :chuckle: Look at the reception something like Dig Down/Thought Contagion gets, and that’s off the back of 3 records that haven’t really landed with the fanbase. Supermassive’s only predecessors were Showbiz, Origin and Absolution.

I have heard tales of how bad it’s reaction was though. People genuinely convinced it had to be a joke and whatnot. Invincible was kinda the Guiding Light of their discography back then as well iirc. Until, well, Guiding Light came out.

I remember that Invincible was seen quite negatively when I was first on the board, then after a while Guiding Light took its place as the board whipping boy.

Think I saw someone saying TIRO was booed by a couple of people at some Absolution Tour gigs.

The SMBH release was lolarious.

There was just so much complete denial :LOL:. Then a few hours later, most people were totally loving it.

Impressive.

Tbf, I can see why it might have an odd reaction given that while now it sounds like classic Muse, back then it probably sounded like a different band altogether.