Battle of the riff masters: Matt and Chris vs. Page and Jones

So obviously everyone knows that back in the early seventies around the golden age of classic rock, Jimmy Page, and consequently John Paul Jones, was considered the master of riffs as he seemed to have an endless supply of great ones. Not many guitarists (or bassists) since have come up with so many memorable riffs, most being lucky to find even one good one, however, after listening to Dead Star again recently and considering the increased solid riffage of DRONES, I believe Matt (with Chris of course) has written just as many, if not more, awesome riffs as Page (with JPJ) back in the seventies and late sixties. The only problem seems to be Muse's early stuff isn't nearly popular enough with the general public for most people to realize how much of a riff master Mr. Bellamy (with Chris) is, potentially the best riffmaker since Page (with Jones), and possibly even batter. Seeing as this is of course the Muse message board, I'm sure most of us would be more than a little biased in this discussion, but I would still like to ask: between Led Zep's riff masters and Muse's, which pair of riff heros is superior?

And of course if all else fails, we can just argue over the best and worst Muse riffs. :D

:LOL:

Considering they just wrote a song with an ancient one MAYBE THEY'RE RUNNING OUT :eek:

But then you've still got the riffs in The Handler, The Globalist, Defector, and Reapers, and the bass riffs in Mercy and Dead Inside. Au contraire, I think Matt just took a break from writing a bunch of riffs on the past few albums because it's so easy for him to do. When he wrote Psycho (I mean fleshed it out into a full song) he probably was just getting warmed up after taking such a long break from being the greatest riff writer in the world.

Dazed And Confused, Whole Lotta Love, Heartbreaker, Black Dog, Kashmir, Stairway To Heaven, etc, to name but a few, are iconic riffs.

Muse have undoubtedly written a number of great riffs, and certainly in Plug In Baby and Hysteria, some iconic ones of their own.

But Zeppelin's riffs were/are genre defining, they have inspired generations of musicians. I'm sure Muse's riffs will too, but they will always pale into significance when compared against Zeppelin.

Heck, Muse themselves have already borrowed heavily from Led Zeppelin's riffs and quoted a couple live, Heartbreaker / Who Knows Who? comes to mind.

And anyhoo, Zeppelin weren't even the class of their time/generation, that honour undoubtedly goes to Black Sabbath for sheer individuality of riffage at the time.

Zeppelin's riffs hawked the blues; Tony Iommi / Sabbath's riffs were unlike anything ever heard before and, quite literally, scared the shit out of people.

They as near as damnit single-handedly laid all the foundations, every single cornerstone of heavy metal. That > anything Muse will ever do.

Honourable mention for Deep Purple too. Ritchie Blackmore's riffs were so clever, so refined for their time. Muse will never get close to Stairway To Heaven, Paranoid or Smoke On The Water.

/thread.

butbutbut

Dead Star tho...

and CE?

Hysteria?

KoC?

US?

Supremacy?

The Handler???

A bunch of other songs!?

KOC, Dead Star, The Groove and maybe CE are the only ones I'd consider great.

The Handler, Fury, Supermassive, Execution Commentary, Psycho and a few others are good. Maybe the outros to Pink Ego Box and Ashamed as well.

Dazed And Confused, Whole Lotta Love, Heartbreaker, Black Dog, Kashmir, Stairway To Heaven, etc, to name but a few, are iconic riffs.

Muse have undoubtedly written a number of great riffs, and certainly in Plug In Baby and Hysteria, some iconic ones of their own.

But Zeppelin's riffs were/are genre defining, they have inspired generations of musicians. I'm sure Muse's riffs will too, but they will always pale into significance when compared against Zeppelin.

Heck, Muse themselves have already borrowed heavily from Led Zeppelin's riffs and quoted a couple live, Heartbreaker / Who Knows Who? comes to mind.

And anyhoo, Zeppelin weren't even the class of their time/generation, that honour undoubtedly goes to Black Sabbath for sheer individuality of riffage at the time.

Zeppelin's riffs hawked the blues; Tony Iommi / Sabbath's riffs were unlike anything ever heard before and, quite literally, scared the shit out of people.

They as near as damnit single-handedly laid all the foundations, every single cornerstone of heavy metal. That > anything Muse will ever do.

Honourable mention for Deep Purple too. Ritchie Blackmore's riffs were so clever, so refined for their time. Muse will never get close to Stairway To Heaven, Paranoid or Smoke On The Water.

/thread.

/thread /thread