when our band recorded the engineer insisted that he added a midi sound under the snare.

The engineer was a tart.

he was south african. make of that what you will.

:LOL:

meh - fair do's. I can see why they're used for when a sound like a shaker is assigned but to add the sound of the thing that you are playing just seems a bit pointless! :LOL:

:LOL:

meh - fair do's. I can see why they're used for when a sound like a shaker is assigned but to add the sound of the thing that you are playing just seems a bit pointless! :LOL:

well it really depends on how good your studio is on a few factors...

1) it depends how good the sample you're layering is

2) it depends how good your studio mics are

3) it depends how good (read lazy) your engineer is

4) it depends how good your room sounds

5) it depends how good your real snare sounds

obv if you have a crap room, mic, snare or enginner the result will probably be better if you layer a sample, especially if its a good one

well it really depends on how good your studio is on a few factors...

1) it depends how good the sample you're layering is

2) it depends how good your studio mics are

3) it depends how good (read lazy) your engineer is

4) it depends how good your room sounds

5) it depends how good your real snare sounds

obv if you have a crap room, mic, snare or enginner the result will probably be better if you layer a sample, especially if its a good one

but muse have top of the range mics / engineers / snare drums and pa equipment

:D

I think i can say that's the most comprehensive and extensive list published on the internet right now.

Why thank you.

'ang on....

everyone says he uses the 11" oriental trash splash

zildjian website says hes uses 9" oriental trash splash...

which one is it?

and 'avedis zildjian'.....is that 'A zildjian' to you and me?

Yah, I don't like saying "A Sweet Ride" or "A Quick Beat Hats" so I write Avedis instead, that's the only reason it's like that on the muse wiki, too. Sabian were thoughtful enough to entitle their first series "AA".

aye. maybe dom just wanted a slightly less organic snare sound for that sound.. it does sound really cracky and if you listen to it theres a kinda stomp/clap type sound

Yup, it disgusts me. I've gone to exquisite lengths to buy a snare shell made out of exactly the right type of cherry wood and I'd hate for some engineer to disguise its dulcet tones beneath electronics.

Which reminds me, the snare shell is now on order. Specs:

14x6 American black cherry wood segment shell by Rhythm King Drums

5/16" (7.9mm) shell thickness

Dual 40 degree bearing edges

Standard snare bed with slightly extended depth

High gloss natural finish (polyeurethane over tung oil) and tung oil on the inside

Texture Coated w/ Power Dot over Classic Clear Snare Side heads

Slingerland Stick Saver batter side and 2.3mm triple flanged resonant side hoops

10 chrome bridge lugs, chrome hardware, el cheapo strainer

noticed that dom has something attached to his hi-hat ... i can see the latin percussion sign (LP) used on megolamania on hullabaloo...what is it

Gimme a tick.

Oh ok. I just figured that since I indentified every single item on the list and most of it had been copied straight out of the Drums page on Muse Wiki, that I wrote in its entirety (save for some corrections), that you might have been speaking to me. My bad.

Oh ok. I just figured that since I indentified every single item on the list and most of it had been copied straight out of the Drums page on Muse Wiki, that I wrote in its entirety (save for some corrections), that you might have been speaking to me. My bad.

oh thats right because without you no one will have known what he uses.

get off your high horse. :rolleyes:

yeah i copied bits - it was quicker. But you're not the only person who knows what his kit consists of.

Ok, where did you get the information from, then?

hintitsolderthanweare.jpg

Identify correctly every drum, cymbal and piece of hardware (or get your "source" to) in this image and I'll believe you (bonus points if you have enough general knowledge to identify the drummer and list a brand the drumstick definitely isn't).

The only way you know what cymbals, and hardware, and heads, and pedals, and snares, and special custom drum sizes Dom uses is because I told you.

EDIT: And another thing, fuck you. Sitting there smugly taking credit for my information and then having the unmitigated temerity to say that I'm not the only one who could possibly have worked it out? Who else could have, you? Just where does every piece of Muse drum data originate, then?

But you're not the only person who knows what his kit consists of.

No I'm not, but only because I told everybody.

Ok, where did you get the information from, then?

hintitsolderthanweare.jpg

Identify correctly every drum, cymbal and piece of hardware (or get your "source" to) in this image and I'll believe you (bonus points if you have enough general knowledge to identify the drummer and list a brand the drumstick definitely isn't).

Jon Theodore, formerly of Golden and The Mars Volta. Zildjian Cymbals. By the looks of the lugs, tom holder, and finish, thats a Ludwig set. Vic Firth 5B sticks. Remo Heads.

That and cut the crap man. Both of ya.