yeah he used to use double bass in the past - but the only time we ever heard him use it was for that cave intro on hullabaloo...

the rest can easily be played on one foot.

and yeah its a Buchla 200e synthesizer which Dom plays with at the beginning of Take A Bow....

but no other drummer (as far as Ive seen) does that.

• 2 weeks later...
Watchy!

(Currently the 6th top rated music video on youtube! Help make it number 1! :D)

Nice one. :D *gives a 5* :happy:

So today my friend told me that their drummer dropped out of the talent show so I'm filling in... I've gotta learn double-bass in a matter of days! :LOL:

I dunno if I can pull it off, but whatever. :LOL:

We're planning to play a little bit of Hysteria for an intro, then a little bit of either Cemetary Gates by Pantera or Can't Stop by RHCP (yeah, insanely different :LOL:), then a little bit of Crazy Train by Ozzy, then all of Scarified by Racer X. :happy:

Scarified:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPGA3vjMLgE

Featuring my favorite drummer. :happy:

I've been wanting to learn double bass for a while (just to be a more all-around drummer and it sounds nice as an accent) but I don't wanna buy a double pedal, but I'm borrowing my friends so I have no excuse. :LOL:

Argghhhh I can't get my right foot and left hand to play at the same time! :LOL:

I mean it's really simple if I have a single, but all of a sudden when you play straight 8ths with a double pedal it's so freaking hard to keep everything together. :(

And I'm good enough with a single now, so having a double-pedal isn't exactly cheating since I'm playing with a double only what I can't play on a single. ;)

Yea, there is a point where you have to use double bass when heel-toe won't cut it. You've never player double bass before? Thats gonna be next to impossible to learn that song in a few days!

Well the actually talent show isn't until the 4th of April, but the audition is sometime next week... or maybe the week after? O.o

For the audition I'm thinking I'm just gonna play a really simplified version of the song. :LOL: They won't care, haha. Then I'll just learn it all before the 4th. I hope I can do it! :stunned:

the only thing that pisses me off about double bass pedals, is the pedal itself. It takes up to much space. I like the hi hat pedal and the hi hats really close to the snare, its like 4 metres away with a double bass pedal :LOL: They are good however for building up your co ordinance.

adam really won't accept the fact that double bass is just as much of a skill than heel toe, will he?

i mean, i use heel toe but i'd LOVE to get a double bass pedal.

nope! :D

Pointless in my eyes.

Double bass allows you to do constant drumming on the bass drum - which sounds horrible IMO

and

various double hits 'accents' etc which I can do with one foot anyway

So no double bass for me ta!

nope! :D

Pointless in my eyes.

Double bass allows you to do constant drumming on the bass drum - which sounds horrible

You've NEVER heard someone use a double bass well?

it doesn't have to be used for constant drumming until it just sounds dull and monotonous, it can be used to make a good beat.

I think this song has a decent drum beat on the double pedal(wait until about 40 seconds into it, )

You've NEVER heard someone use a double bass well?

it doesn't have to be used for constant drumming until it just sounds dull and monotonous, it can be used to make a good beat.

I think this song has a decent drum beat on the double pedal(wait until about 40 seconds into it, )

you can play the same beat with a floor tom! ;)

Sounds like MOTP :p

and thats another point im adding to the "anti double bass" movement!

When we first heard MOTP we thought it was double bass but no - its played with the hands.

you can play the same beat with a floor tom! ;)

Sounds like MOTP :p

and thats another point im adding to the "anti double bass" movement!

When we first heard MOTP we thought it was double bass but no - its played with the hands.

yes but if you play it on the double pedal it leaves your hands free tp do other things.

But I do see your point...

I just don't see the point of refusing to use a double-pedal. Surely if you had one, you'd learn how to use it?

I mean it's just nice to know. If someone throws a double-pedal at me I want to know how to use it. I wish I did now. :( I can't think of any beat on a single that would suffice for the Scarified song I'm doing for the talent show without sounding empty. :$

And no, the floor tom won't suffice either. :LOL:

And the obligatory Marco Minnemann Video. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsnYA2N8pkk

:happy:

I just don't see the point of refusing to use a double-pedal. Surely if you had one, you'd learn how to use it?

I mean it's just nice to know. If someone throws a double-pedal at me I want to know how to use it. I wish I did now. :( I can't think of any beat on a single that would suffice for the Scarified song I'm doing for the talent show without sounding empty. :$

And no, the floor tom won't suffice either. :LOL:

And the obligatory Marco Minnemann Video. :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsnYA2N8pkk

:happy:

because theres no need.

Im not going to get one!

And if I had one, i wouldnt use it!

And in your situation id either A) adapt the song and play it with a single pedal, or B) say "that music's shite im not playing it!....I have standards y'know!"

hahaha :LOL:

If it needs a double bass drum for it to sound "full" then the song must be a weak song musically and the double bass must be generating "noise" as opposed to a good beat.

I havent clicked that video but Im guessing what it is - and all vids like that demonstrate extraordinarily good drummers. They must spend hours on the kit at a time for years.

I cannot be arsed to be as good as that.

I'll stick to what Im doing.

Adam, could you please get off your high horse and accept that people have different tastes? Jesus, it's so fucking annoying that all you seem to do is talk about how anyone who uses a double bass pedal isn't a drummer and how every song that has double bass in it is complete crap.

how the hell can you drummers be playing a normal beat (example stralight verses) and tap the hi hats pedal with the other foot? :eek: it's driving me mad :(

just try getting the hi-hat going and then try and add the beat when you feel your ready to. Just keep doing that and you should get it pretty quickly.

how the hell can you drummers be playing a normal beat (example stralight verses) and tap the hi hats pedal with the other foot? :eek: it's driving me mad :(

its easy. Its the same with playing any beat. You have to teach your brain to let you coordinate your body to do seperate things n st00f.:LOL: