Do you like Mercy?  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Mercy?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

That's actually Bono from U2, not Matt.

You say that like it's a bad thing....which I can only assume, because most of the posts I've seen you make have been anything but positive.

Bono is/was a great singer. Matt's chest voice sounds like Bono....that's not going to change whether you like it or not. Mat is a much better singer now than he was in the early days. Much less whiny.

Listening to the whole album, Mercy is the track I find the weakest of them all. It's not bad at all, and the pre-chorus/chorus section is powerful, but the whole thing is not particularly original or engaging enough to make you want to listen to it again after you arrive at the end of the album, actually.

I kind of agree with this...Another reason I'm thinking this will be the first song I skip is that the lyrics are very dark which contrasts with the bright Starlight-like instrumentation and melody....if I had only heard the instruments I would've expected it to be more like "Glory!" Instead of "Mercy!" Also, I find that this one advances the story of the album the least. I doubt I would miss it if it wasn't there....

I guess my big disclaimer is that I haven't listened to anything past Defector, but from what I've read in other reviews the music seem to at least reflect the lyrics in the other songs.

I just saw the preview Muse posted for the Mercy video.

The mix sounds different, I can hear more clearly the synth arpeggios, the guitar volume is lower and definitely less saturated and Matt's voice sounds a little different.

Perhaps they realized what an atrocious mix they made and they'll update the song. They sort of did this with Psycho, the first time I downloaded in iTunes it had the guitar strum at the beginning and now it starts right away at the riff.

Did anybody else noticed this or am I imagining things?