Do you like Mercy?  

402 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Mercy?

• Yes
    • No
    • Maybe

You know...the more I think about it, the more I feel like Mercy would make a ton more sense and improve the album tremendously if it were placed next to Revolt in some fashion (minus the lyrics of course).

Anyone agree?

yeah I said that a while ago. It just doesn't sit right between Reapers and Psycho

it is a bit of a head scratcher, I personally think opening with Psycho would have been fantastic, but yeah then where to put DI and Mercy.... not sure tbh

Dunno if it would work but I guess something like this would be, even if it doesn't makes sense in the context of a concept album

Psycho(with DS)

Reapers

Mercy

Dead Inside

The Handler

Defector

the rest as released

Dunno if it would work but I guess something like this would be, even if it doesn't makes sense in the context of a concept album

Psycho(with DS)

Reapers

Mercy

Dead Inside

The Handler

Defector

the rest as released

Yes maybe. I don't know, it could work as a concept. He gets forced into the army to serve his country or whatever, then this puts a massive strain on the relationship at home and he ends up dead inside through hearing his beloved has been unfaithful and he's gotten used to killing. Dunno. I admit that's pretty weak but I'm pulling at straws :LOL:

Psycho(with DS)

Reapers

Mercy

Dead Inside

The Handler

Defector

the rest as released

I'd swap Dead Inside with Reapers and then Reapers with Mercy.

That way, Dead Inside would work as an immediate flashback after the loud and in-ya-face beginning with Psycho, then Reapers would be a return to actual reality; following next, Mercy is where the protagonist finally realises his condition, with The Handler as the definitive resolution.

After that, the flow of songs would remain as structured in the actual album.

Handler's falsetto on "from you" is the best on the album.

can i just hi5 u right now please

I'm thoroughly enjoying seeing your dog chirpily bounding through the forum, spreading joy and happiness. Bloody marvellous

and may I also hi5 this. dogs forever <3

• 3 weeks later...
Lyrically, none of those songs fit. The tone of the song may not fit, but the lyrics fit with the game's story and what's happening with Batman.

Meh, you could twist any of those songs' lyrics into fitting the plot of the game in some way, Mercy's actually probably one of the loosest connections tbh.

I think The Handler is the only one that might fit in tonally though, the rest are too upbeat.

Meh, you could twist any of those songs' lyrics into fitting the plot of the game in some way, Mercy's actually probably one of the loosest connections tbh.

I think The Handler is the only one that might fit in tonally though, the rest are too upbeat.

Batman wasn't feeling oppressed and transformed. He wants mercy in the game. He's alone and struggling, just like what Mercy conveys. He needs mercy from the powers that be. It fits perfectly. And there's a parts of the game that involved Mercy Bridge. I just feel that the tone and how desperate the song sounds fits Batman's struggle. The Handler has the protagonist feeling strong and angry, which wasn't Batman in Arkham Knight. I used to think Mercy didn't fit, but after playing the game, I realise that I was wrong and it was the only song on the album that fits with the game's plot and how Batman is coping.

The Handler is upbeat in tone, with the protagonist taking control and becoming empowered. Mercy is depressing and desperate sounding.

Batman wasn't feeling oppressed and transformed. He wants mercy in the game. He's alone and struggling, just like what Mercy conveys. He needs mercy from the powers that be. It fits perfectly. And there's a parts of the game that involved Mercy Bridge. I just feel that the tone and how desperate the song sounds fits Batman's struggle. The Handler has the protagonist feeling strong and angry, which wasn't Batman in Arkham Knight. I used to think Mercy didn't fit, but after playing the game, I realise that I was wrong and it was the only song on the album that fits with the game's plot and how Batman is coping.

I can't be arsed getting into discussions about lyrics at the best of times, let alone when it's about how they relate to a Batman game, so all I'm gonna say is that the phrase "Show me mercy" really isn't a phrase I'd associate with Batman. Like, at all. He's offered help quite a few times throughout the game and turns it down, which is the exact opposite of what's happening in the song. Also, the fact that the song shares a name with a bridge in the game is about as loose of a connection as you can get.

The Handler could relate to the Joker and how he fits into the game.

The Handler is upbeat in tone, with the protagonist taking control and becoming empowered. Mercy is depressing and desperate sounding.

Really not sure how you reach this conclusion but okay.

Really not sure how you reach this conclusion but okay.

Well, I first came to this conclusion when Matt literally spelled it out for us before the songs were released. The Handler is about the protagonist fighting back. Raw anger. His realisation that he was being manipulated. Mercy is the protagonist begging to be helped. How can you miss that?