I agree it's all opinion! But this is kinda my problem, I want to be comparing to Abso singles or even BHAR not the last two. I know it was unlikely to be up there but again it's subjective if maybe TR or 2nd Law are your favourite albums it might be different.

Sorry guys for coming in all negative. I'll drop it now & wait for the inevitable stream :)

I just think people need to forget about the guys ever sounding like they did pre-Black holes era. It seems like an argument that's raged on for nearly a decade now. Every band has their purple patch, some rare bands put out consistently acclaimed music their entire careers. I think Muse's best days, when they were at their most creative and original, are behind them now sadly. But even when they are at their worst it's still better than half the stuff out there so I'll always look forward to a new album. Plus, despite Matt's voice seeming like it's deteriorating slightly, the band as a whole keep getting better performing live with each album, so there's that as well.

I just think people need to forget about the guys ever sounding like they did pre-Black holes era. It seems like an argument that's raged on for nearly a decade now. Every band has their purple patch, some rare bands put out consistently acclaimed music their entire careers. I think Muse's best days, when they were at their most creative and original, are behind them now sadly. But even when they are at their worst it's still better than half the stuff out there so I'll always look forward to a new album. Plus, despite Matt's voice seeming like it's deteriorating slightly, the band as a whole keep getting better performing live with each album, so there's that as well.

I wouldn't say their best days are behind them, I think the quality of the writing and performance is better than its ever been (Animals, Reapers, T2L: Isolated System etc). I just think that any band (unless you're AC/DC or Mike Love) wouldn't want to be in the same place musically as they were 12 years ago, so I think it's unrealistic to expect them to keep on aping Absolution.

I think Muse's best days, when they were at their most creative and original, are behind them now sadly.

Black Holes & Revelations was very creative and original, and some songs are insane (KoC, Assassin, CoD), The Resistance has Exogenesis, an instant epic win, and this Drones album sounds very promising, so i'd say Muse are still at their peak.

Black Holes & Revelations was very creative and original, and some songs are insane (KoC, Assassin, CoD), The Resistance has Exogenesis, an instant epic win, and this Drones album sounds very promising, so i'd say Muse are still at their peak.
You mention 3 songs from The Resistance, and none from T2L. You sure they're at their peak?

BHAR was their creative peak IMO. We've seen moments since but I don't think they'll get back to that level again. I'll be very happy to be proved wrong though of course

BHAR was their creative peak IMO. We've seen moments since but I don't think they'll get back to that level again. I'll be very happy to be proved wrong though of course

I have to agree with you there! As you say there have been moments since though and there will be more to come

Brilliant discussion!

Yeah, I get where people come from, comparing how they compose their music now to how they did in say Absolution or BH&R, but I lean more to the people saying that they've still got it like with Animals, Exogenesis, Isolated System, etc. and how they're getting better with live performances.

Yeah, they evolve - they're not in the same mindset of their mid-20s selves. 12 years on, we should be glad they change and still look into new concepts.

I like Foo Fighters, but they have a fairly consistent sound to them that just makes it hard to constantly listen to them. Muse have so many varying songs and albums, it's easy to obsess listening to them for months at a time.

So, being mindful that their sound changes, their mindset changes, that they naturally produce creative albums and unique pieces, regardless of any subjectively flawed songs, Muse still have "it". Even if "it" is not the same as it was 12 years ago.

At least Muse don't go, oh, since a lot of our fans like that album, we'll just make the same formula and make another one of those albums... that's also not how the music industry works.

I wouldn't say their best days are behind them, I think the quality of the writing and performance is better than its ever been (Animals, Reapers, T2L: Isolated System etc). I just think that any band (unless you're AC/DC or Mike Love) wouldn't want to be in the same place musically as they were 12 years ago, so I think it's unrealistic to expect them to keep on aping Absolution.

Whilst that is obviously true, I don't think it's simply just a natural progression of sound though. It seems like there came a time (roughly around BH&R) where the guys look like they thought people might be taking them too seriously. Like when I hear people say "they've always had a deliberate element of cheese" I'm afraid I don't agree. There is nothing, to me, cheesy about anything from Showbiz-Absolution. Sure, unpolished moments which come off as a bit amateur and some questionable lyrics, but it was always serious and sincere and I think the music benefitted immensely from it. Most of the heavier songs had a sense of urgency and the slower numbers were dark and full of dread. But it's not simply the fact they aren't putting out rock records, as Tjet said, they've been doing pop since 1999. It's like they've lost something else which is hard to articulate. Maybe they've just grown up a bit and we all simply prefer the ramblings and ruminations of a young Matt Bellamy, as opposed to the older one :LOL:

But it seems like maybe they felt they were being pigeonholed into an inaccessible band who were catering only to a select few, perhaps it was studio involvement? Dom's comments many years ago about "everyone thinking they are a band who just sing about the Apocalypse" and Matt's reluctance to play older numbers like Dead Star at Shepherd's Bush because it was "weird" seem to go along with this theory though.

Again they appear in this week's issue of NME is going to be their review of the album.

BTW, I thought Jools was at 20h (GMT)

10pm UK time (which is GMT+1 at the moment)

Too many Españoles xD

Quiero ser de España pero vivo en Yorkshire

BHaR at the time jarred because the styles were a bit all over the place and some of the songs seemed too polished compared to what earlier live performances suggested the album would be like. It's certainly better than The Resistance, which seemed too much of Muse trying to 'do a style' on individual tracks rather than an album. MK Ultra-I Belong To You-Exogenesis parts sound so messy having not listened to the album in a long time but also completely different to the first 4-5 tracks.

To me 2nd Law is a mix of the bad elements BHaR and The Resistance. Creatively ambitious but executed crazily, done to extreme, so all over the place. Some works but as an album it just feels like Matt was on a series of 'Stars in their Eyes'.

Brilliant discussion!

Yeah, I get where people come from, comparing how they compose their music now to how they did in say Absolution or BH&R, but I lean more to the people saying that they've still got it like with Animals, Exogenesis, Isolated System, etc. and how they're getting better with live performances.

Yeah, they evolve - they're not in the same mindset of their mid-20s selves. 12 years on, we should be glad they change and still look into new concepts.

I like Foo Fighters, but they have a fairly consistent sound to them that just makes it hard to constantly listen to them. Muse have so many varying songs and albums, it's easy to obsess listening to them for months at a time.

So, being mindful that their sound changes, their mindset changes, that they naturally produce creative albums and unique pieces, regardless of any subjectively flawed songs, Muse still have "it". Even if "it" is not the same as it was 12 years ago.

At least Muse don't go, oh, since a lot of our fans like that album, we'll just make the same formula and make another one of those albums... that's also not how the music industry works.

Muse to me are at the stage where they have 3 strong albums, a decent enough debut and then 'the odd song' to keep my interest. It's fine but for a live show a run of Explorers-Resistance-UD-Starlight-Dead Inside-Guiding Light-Follow Me for example would be painful but also realistic.

I'll always think BHAR is their peak moment. KoC for me just encapsulates everything I love about Muse just being so brash and grandiose :D.

I feel they were on similar ground with Survival in that regard though.

I'll always love and remember that quote about Survival before it came out which described it as "More metal than the golden gate bridge" :LOL:

I'll always think BHAR is their peak moment. KoC for me just encapsulates everything I love about Muse just being so brash and grandiose.

I feel they were on similar ground with Survival in that regard though.

I'll always love and remember that quote about Survival before it came out which described it as "More metal than the golden gate bridge" :LOL:

Don't forget Take A Bow:

A crescendoing apocalyptic tale of orchestral, electronic and apocalyptic rock.

And USoE: A piano ballad that moves into epic harmonic vocals, a Middle-Eastern section, then funky ballad, concluding with a classical cover.

I recently rediscovered just how awesome BH&R is, and how highly it ranks for me. I mean, TaB, KoC, MoTP, SMBH, CoD, Hoodoo and Invincible are all great, and Soldiers Poem and Starlight aren't bad in any way. Assassin is a disappointment but still not bad, and Exo is...well...decent. Not really a great average considering there are albums where I love every song, but then I should take into consideration how many times I've actually listened to Muse's albums. That it still keeps me interested says a lot.

I recently rediscovered just how awesome BH&R is, and how highly it ranks for me. I mean, TaB, KoC, MoTP, SMBH, CoD, Hoodoo and Invincible are all great, and Soldiers Poem and Starlight aren't bad in any way. Assassin is a disappointment but still not bad, and Exo is...well...decent. Not really a great average considering there are albums where I love every song, but then I should take into consideration how many times I've actually listened to Muse's albums. That it still keeps me interested says a lot.

I think Hoodoo is up there with anything they've ever done TBH. Absolutely sublime song musically and lyrically.

Agreed! On everything, wow, for once haha

..... Because it's not assassin grand omega bosses edit :p

I think the GOB edit when they do the breakdown and Matt comes in on his own for a few seconds playing the riff and then Dom comes crashing in on drums is one of the coolest things I've ever heard. Just sounds awesome :D

Yeah BHAR was their peak for me. Personally the Resistance and T2L were quite a heavy drop off for me (and the other half) bar a few nuggets here and there. What's worth mentioning though is that, even there crap songs are still better than the majority of the durge out there at the moment which gives testament to how good these guys are.

What's worth mentioning though is that, even there crap songs are still better than the majority of the durge out there at the moment which gives testament to how good these guys are.

This.

I listened to Explorers a couple of days ago, and it's actually quite amazing. Harmonies are nice, bass sounds lovely, piano has an airy timbre about, vocals are just right. I mean, it's no over-the-top wow Muse song, but it works.

And the last chorus how Chris sings a separate line to what Matt sings and then comes back in unison...

Definitely much better than stuff out there these days.

I didn't think TR was as much of a drop-off as a lot of people. It's still very close behind BHaR for me, and I'm actually more likely to listen to TR all the way through than BHaR. T2L was definitely a mixed bag, but I still enjoy most of it. I think Reapers is the best song (excluding Exogenesis) that they've done since BHaR, so I have high hopes for Drones.