Haha! @james90 - Actually the rectifier thing got sorted out years ago. It did go through a few quite quickly in the first year or two I had it, but then I found out I had an older model, and that problem had been resolved on newer ones later. I called them up and they said the fix was offered as a free upgrade if I could post the main part of the amp to their nearest facility or whatever. I think I got it back about a week later and I've never had another problem with it since. They threw in a spare rectifier tube to make up for the ones I'd had to buy before as well for good measure. Very nice service.

14 hours ago, james90 said:

Nice to see my phaser was worthy of a painted enclosure, even though I recall you got it for free 🤫

Also, what happened to Dave? Did you voluntarily change it back to Longan? I trust Matthijs didn't accidentally reset it on purpose!

People still don't believe me when I tell them you gave me a Phase 90! Haha

I don't know, some weird forum-fuckery. Matthijs says he'll try to get it fixed permanently, but if that's not possible, I won't get upset over a full stop.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, james90 said:

Nice to see my phaser was worthy of a painted enclosure, even though I recall you got it for free 🤫

Also, what happened to Dave? Did you voluntarily change it back to Longan? I trust Matthijs didn't accidentally reset it on purpose!

Basically, the merge of .mu and board accounts isn't a friendly one...

7 hours ago, Dave said:

People still don't believe me when I tell them you gave me a Phase 90! Haha

I don't know, some weird forum-fuckery. Matthijs says he'll try to get it fixed permanently, but if that's not possible, I won't get upset over a full stop.

"A phase 90 you say? What happened to the original enclosure?"

"The guy that gave it to me for free lost it."

"Bastard. Wait, are you actually serious? 🤯"

"Yes. Just listen to the three-dimensional swirl on this song by The Mars Volta that I am about to play..."

And fixed permanently like his reputation number? 🤔 I want to see if it will go up to 10,000... but I don''t want to be the one to do it!

5 hours ago, matthijs said:

Basically, the merge of .mu and board accounts isn't a friendly one...

In that case, I'm guessing it wasn't just Longan Dave

• Like 1

18 hours ago, james90 said:

"A phase 90 you say? What happened to the original enclosure?"

"The guy that gave it to me for free lost it."

"Bastard. Wait, are you actually serious? 🤯"

"Yes. Just listen to the three-dimensional swirl on this song by The Mars Volta that I am about to play..."

That's almost word-for-word a conversation I had with someone one time haha
Honestly, I don't think I'll ever get another Phaser. Every time I see a DIY version of a really interesting one like those Maestro Stage Phasers , I look up a demo and feel like it just doesn't sound right. Then I use the Phase 90 and it's just what I think a Phaser should sound like.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave. said:

That's almost word-for-word a conversation I had with someone one time haha
Honestly, I don't think I'll ever get another Phaser. Every time I see a DIY version of a really interesting one like those Maestro Stage Phasers , I look up a demo and feel like it just doesn't sound right. Then I use the Phase 90 and it's just what I think a Phaser should sound like.

Almost word-for-word, because you used the phrase "high velocity swooshing" instead?

Yeah they are a bit good. Remind me, did that one have the green PCB? Or was it one of the newer red ones? Asking for a friend..

Also, in the notifications bit, this new board lists an option for "Someone I am following makes a post"

Step 1. Turn on notification.

Step 2. Follow @Bs

Step 3. Put Buck Rogers by Feeder on.

Step 4. Wait.

typ42yc.gif

21 hours ago, james90 said:

Almost word-for-word, because you used the phrase "high velocity swooshing" instead?

Yeah they are a bit good. Remind me, did that one have the green PCB? Or was it one of the newer red ones? Asking for a friend..

It was definetly red. I stared at that PCB on my desk for so many years I think I could redraw the circuit from memory :LOL:

• Like 1

It plays surprisingly well for a 650 euro bass :D thing it does need the active mode to bring it to life, but it's by no means bad in passive. Need to set up pickup height etc a bit better.

Fretboard etc. great, small radius for a 5-string, but not too narrow. Blocks & Bindings look nicely done: I'm a happy kitten. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Also said:

Well, I don’t know about that guy, but yours sounds much better than mine 😂

Well I'll never be as good as that guy. Especially considering he wasn't using a MIDI track 🤯

Did you make yours from scratch? I think I've almost got the main section sounding right, but need to adjust one part. Then onto the middle section which will take another year or two. 😬

On 2/23/2019 at 6:06 AM, james90 said:

Well I'll never be as good as that guy. Especially considering he wasn't using a MIDI track 🤯

Did you make yours from scratch? I think I've almost got the main section sounding right, but need to adjust one part. Then onto the middle section which will take another year or two. 😬

I see 😂😂

I have two midi files, I got the first one on this forum years ago from Dominic IIRC (Dominic Green on Youtube). 

Then I TRIED to make one when I got my Axe FX III. I wanted to replace my Whammy V in order to free some space on my rack, but the sequence I programmed sounded like shit (it was totally my fault).

So I’ll stick to my Whammy V. 

4 hours ago, Also said:

I see 😂😂

I have two midi files, I got the first one on this forum years ago from Dominic IIRC (Dominic Green on Youtube). 

Then I TRIED to make one when I got my Axe FX III. I wanted to replace my Whammy V in order to free some space on my rack, but the sequence I programmed sounded like shit (it was totally my fault).

So I’ll stick to my Whammy V. 

I remember that one. STILL deserves more views.

How is the whammy patch on the axe? I think the whammy V works just fine for this (the DT doesn't even seem necessary) but the fuzz/distortion begins disappearing the lower you go with the -2 octave setting.

The video I posted was with the DSL 50 on what would normally be a useless setting. Super high presence and treble on lead 2 (highest gain.) Also with a buffer (Boss SD-1 switched off) after the whammy, which does make a bit of a difference.

I have no clue how he's getting this to sound the way it does at around 6:21. Unless it's staged and not actually the whammy? Note the automation on the computer screen in the background, but he's still controlling the pedal by foot.

Meanwhile, I think I MIGHT have figured out that bit that was giving me trouble this whole time...only had to slow it down to around 35bpm before noticing.

But I don't know. I'll let the rest of you (all three of you? What happened to nerd herd?) have a listen and decide if it sounds closer.

On 2/20/2019 at 9:34 AM, james90 said:

Also, in the notifications bit, this new board lists an option for "Someone I am following makes a post"

Step 1. Turn on notification.

Step 2. Follow @Bs

Step 3. Put Buck Rogers by Feeder on.

Step 4. Wait.

typ42yc.gif

I'm now imagining walking down the street, looking over my shoulder, and seeing a man with a Kaoss Pad for a face hiding behind a lamppost, haha!

That Unsustainable video is insanely accurate by the way. Really nice work.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, james90 said:

I remember that one. STILL deserves more views.

How is the whammy patch on the axe? I think the whammy V works just fine for this (the DT doesn't even seem necessary) but the fuzz/distortion begins disappearing the lower you go with the -2 octave setting.

The video I posted was with the DSL 50 on what would normally be a useless setting. Super high presence and treble on lead 2 (highest gain.) Also with a buffer (Boss SD-1 switched off) after the whammy, which does make a bit of a difference.

I have no clue how he's getting this to sound the way it does at around 6:21. Unless it's staged and not actually the whammy? Note the automation on the computer screen in the background, but he's still controlling the pedal by foot.

Meanwhile, I think I MIGHT have figured out that bit that was giving me trouble this whole time...only had to slow it down to around 35bpm before noticing.

But I don't know. I'll let the rest of you (all three of you? What happened to nerd herd?) have a listen and decide if it sounds closer.

The pitch shifter on the Axe FX 3 was recently updated, but I haven’t tried my unsustainable patch since. For downtuning it’s working pretty well (if you go too far up or down the artifacts sound more noticeable and the tone loses some meat but that happens with the Digitech too). 

The problem I had with my automated whammy patches there was that they “felt” different. I think the Whammy V and the KP2 will be staying in my rack (although i’m using the KP for like 1 minute a month max).

Btw, I always put the whammy first on my signal chain and I try to boost the resulting signal with some compression and a little extra OD immediately after.

It’s hard to tell what’s happening on the video, but there could be lots of studio wizardry behind that tone (multitracking etc), but I think you’re nailing it on your clip. 

Edited by Also
  • Like 1

Just did this quickly. Does the new board let you upload and embed attachments? Let's find out...

(I guess not)

Still needs a slight bit of adjustment in that first +2 octave triplet part I think. That's what I've been scratching my head over this entire time