Long shot, but anyone familiar with blending a standard mic setup with a direct signal for guitar? I gather this is a fairly common way to record bass.

I am, it's ALL about the phase. You really have to pay attention to your mic positioning. Try summing both signals to mono, as you move the mic around, you'll hear the low end get weaker where the signals are out of phase. That could be a useful effect if you reverse the polarity (of the neutron flow?) to get the bass to sum, in a similar way you would blend in a rear mic from an open back cab to get more beeeeeef.

I am, it's ALL about the phase. You really have to pay attention to your mic positioning. Try summing both signals to mono, as you move the mic around, you'll hear the low end get weaker where the signals are out of phase. That could be a useful effect if you reverse the polarity (of the neutron flow?) to get the bass to sum, in a similar way you would blend in a rear mic from an open back cab to get more beeeeeef.

Wish I knew about this before. I've struggled to capture the sound accurately from that 4x10 combo - mainly the extreme midrange

But yeah, I'm just thinking of using a single mic setup with a very specific #details unit with a speaker sim for running direct at the same time.

I could always try that setup with the line out and the impulse responses, but... that would be too easy.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Good read, thanks

Guitars

Cort MBC-1 Matt Bellamy Signature

Manson DR-1 Matt Bellamy Signature

Manson Metal Bomber custom build

Manson MA-2 EVO

Gibson SG Standard

Ampeg Dan Armstrong

Amps

Ampeg V-4B (modified by Matt Wells)

Diezel VH4

Marshall JTM45

Marshall JCM800 (modified by Matt Wells)

Black Volt Amplification the Crazy Horse (owned by Rich Costey)

Vox AC30

1970 Marshall 1960A and 1960B cabs

Mills Acoustics Afterburner 412A cab

Effects

Chase Bliss Warped Vinyl HiFi

Chicago Iron Tycobrahe Pedalflanger

DigiTech Whammy 5

Electro-Harmonix Big Muff

Eventide Space Reverb

JHS Pedals VCR Ryan Adams Signature Volume/Chorus/Reverb

JHS Pedals Colour Box Preamp

MXR Dyna Comp Mini Compressor

Strings and Picks

Ernie Ball 2221 Regular Slinky (.010–.046)

Dunlop Tortex standard .73 mm

:erm:

You mean the V4B?

Those are great amps, just I think he's had his modified for an even more extreme midrange and more gain... that or he's altering the sound after it's profiled.

Quite curious about what's been done to the Marshall. That's the same one he's been using since the BHAR tour, and it's been used to record too. I recall he said it was used for the main riff in Supremacy.

Anyone still here? nerd herd? Matthijs? Jaicen?

....Bs?

@nerd herd, the offer is still on the table for those fret erasers (at least until #afterbreakfast) but I've just tried out Music Nomad FRINE

I might switch to this. While it doesn't remove scratches like the more abrasive fret erasers do, it removes all the texan mojo and does it a lot quicker.

They warn you not to get any on the fretboard itself (guards are included for this) but supposedly it's harmless if it's cleaned off right away.

Hey thanks a lot Jaicen! It's great to know we have your appr...

Awkward.

....From what I've heard of the live version of break it to me, the solo is fairly different. I imagine it was pieced together in the actual recording using who knows what.

But I'm wondering if he's using a kaoss pad in the live version at all. Or was that already obvious?

If so...

Awkward.

Anyone still here? nerd herd? Matthijs? Jaicen?

....Bs?

@nerd herd, the offer is still on the table for those fret erasers (at least until #afterbreakfast) but I've just tried out Music Nomad FRINE

I might switch to this. While it doesn't remove scratches like the more abrasive fret erasers do, it removes all the texan mojo and does it a lot quicker.

They warn you not to get any on the fretboard itself (guards are included for this) but supposedly it's harmless if it's cleaned off right away.

Always here :ninja:

I can’t find any old recipe irn bru so it wouldn’t be a fair swap.

I’ve heard loads of good things about the Music Nomad stuff. Need to try some of their matt/satin finish cleaner on my MB.

For the break it to me solo, it sometimes sounds like setting 75 on a KP2 and scratching the strings, but I’m not sure. It always looks like he’s touching the xy pad, but might be controlling some other MIDI magic gear.

• 4 weeks later...