2013.04.23 - Bell Centre, Montreal Quebec, Canada

Alimuse

I'll have the stack of Dead Star signs up at the front of the queue again for this show, so if you want one to hold up (and you'll be at barrier) come say hi, and grab a sign!

around wich time do you think you'll be here tomorrow for queuing?

Just checking in...Can't wait for the show tomorrow! Seems like an eternity. I'm happy to see that the setlist is somewhat fluid. Not the same set for each show. Woohoo! Maybe Dead Star will happen??? And i'm sad about Biffy Clyro. Really like their sound. Not sure I can say the same for Dead Sara. Time will tell...

Does anyone know how things went last night with the paperless tickets thing?

Ya.

If you got them from Evenko then you just proceed in line normally. If you got them from .mu there is a place outside of the line that you have to go to. Hard to describe where it is but you get the tickets there and on the outside it writes billeterie or something like that.

What the shit? On April 23rd, we only got the routine show with no Showbiz song and on the 24th they played Sunburn and Micro Cuts?! This is the third time I see Muse live and the third time I only get the routine stuff, while the next show ''Eh guise! Here's Citizen! Here's Sunburn!". This is kinda starting to piss me off...

What the shit? On April 23rd, we only got the routine show with no Showbiz song and on the 24th they played Sunburn and Micro Cuts?! This is the third time I see Muse live and the third time I only get the routine stuff, while the next show ''Eh guise! Here's Citizen! Here's Sunburn!". This is kinda starting to piss me off...

This was my 3rd time too, the same night as you, and can't believe they played Micro Cuts. When were the last times you saw Muse? Was it always in Montreal? Because they played Bliss, City Of Delusion, Sunburn in 2006 at Quai Jacques-Cartier, and they were rarely played, I would say 25% of the Black Holes & Revelations tour. Though in 2010 during The Resistance tour, we got the routine show at the Bell Centre, I would have love to see Ruled By Secrecy...

But even if we got the routine show, it was amazing as usual. I thought that the songs from The 2nd Law were given justice when played live, even those I found just okay on the album. Great show!

This was my 3rd time too, the same night as you, and can't believe they played Micro Cuts. When were the last times you saw Muse? Was it always in Montreal? Because they played Bliss, City Of Delusion, Sunburn in 2006 at Quai Jacques-Cartier, and they were rarely played, I would say 25% of the Black Holes & Revelations tour. Though in 2010 during The Resistance tour, we got the routine show at the Bell Centre, I would have love to see Ruled By Secrecy...

But even if we got the routine show, it was amazing as usual. I thought that the songs from The 2nd Law were given justice when played live, even those I found just okay on the album. Great show!

I saw back in March (Montréal) and October (Québec City) in 2010 and it was just the routine songs :(

Ya.

If you got them from Evenko then you just proceed in line normally. If you got them from .mu there is a place outside of the line that you have to go to. Hard to describe where it is but you get the tickets there and on the outside it writes billeterie or something like that.

Thank you for your answer, it helps a lot! :)

I posted this little write-up over in the General Tour and Setlist discussion thread, but I figured it was worth posting here too since it's specifically about the two Montreal shows:

Having just got back from an amazing week in Montreal for the back-to-back Muse shows there, I figured I'd share some of my thoughts on the experience this tour. Sorry if it's a tad long of a post, but wanted to share lots of thoughts :)

I saw Muse for the first time in 2010 at the Toronto ACC show (which was absolutely incredible), and had excellent seats on Chris' side of the stage. Living in Halifax NS means going to see Muse requires a good bit of a trip either way...Toronto made sense last time, but this go round, my girlfriend and I decided to go for Montreal instead. We got GA tickets for the first night through the .mu presale, and then ended up getting seats for the second night (front row of section 216) so we could really appreciate the full stage setup. What an amazing decision!

First night, we showed up around 10:30 am, and there was already a pretty decent line, but between the two of us and a super nice local girl we met in line and became friends with over the course of the day, we were successful at making it to the barrier!! Just off center, basically right in front of Chris. All I can say....amazing.

Thoughts on the first show:

-Being on the floor and at the barrier was an unbelievable experience. Loved it in every way, and it's definitely the best show experience of my life. Absolutely worth the almost 8 hours in line, and would be willing to wait longer if I had to. I'm still kind of in shock of just how awesome it was.

-I unfortunately didn't manage to shake Matt's had during the UD barrier walk, but my girlfriend did. That's a really great part of the show, and something I hope they keep doing (and maybe even more!). Everyone went wild both nights when that happened.

-The first night was packed, and crowd was absolutely mental. Matt said something about this being the best crowd so far this year, and I believe it. Everyone was singing along and moving to everything, and it was just incredible.

-The set was pretty good. Isolated System was a cool opener, although I agree with others' observations that it drags on a little bit. Was very glad to get MoTP, USoE, and Stockholm.

-Some people next to us (also from Halifax!) had a sign asking for Chris' harmonica. He tried to throw it to them, but they missed it and it fell into the crowd. After a bit of a scramble, noone seemed able to find it. I'm pretty sure someone pocketed it, which was a seriously dick move given that Chris was extremely clear who he was throwing it to :(

Thoughts on the second show:

-Had a great view from the seats (that stage looks AMAZING from farther back), and actually thought the show sounded better from there than at the barrier.

-Unsustainable is a much better opener than IS, especially now with the smoke canons and the descending pyramid, lifting to reveal the band (a big improvement over the walk-on entrance). IS also sounds much better later in the show, as Dom did start drumming towards the end and Matt got on with his Kaoss-y stuff (which they didn't do on the first night).

-The second night setlist was so much better than the first! Adding in Hysteria, PiB, Feeling Good (I know it's hated here, but I like it :)), Sunburn (just about lost it when that started!) and MICRO CUTS! We were expecting Dead Star once the roulette landed on green, so Micro Cuts came out of nowhere, but I wasn't complaining. It sounded brilliant, and the crowd did seem to get into it. The amount of rotation and changes was enough to make it feel like a really different show, and not just a pure repeat of the night before. Plus we got Liquid State both nights, which I can't complain about :)

-The second crowd was also great. Looked like another pretty much packed house, and lots of energy. Our section was mostly sitting, but we stood up and danced anyway. Noone gave us hell for it, and by about half way through the show, pretty much everyone else was up on their feet too.

-Only big disappointment of the night was the lack of Animals, which they apparently "forgot" to play :facepalm:(according to the CHOM radio interview afterwards...see the thread on the Media board)

A note on "ticketless" and "will-call"

This almost turned out to be a disaster. The .mu presale tickets were "will call", but when I inquired ahead of time, I was informed that all GA tix were ticketless, so I should just go up with credit card and ID in hand (besides, how was I supposed to pick up "will call" tickets after 6pm at the box office, when the doors were to open at that time?). Well about 25 min before doors open the first night, after waiting in line for over 7 hours, I started to get paranoid because I noticed other people with physical tickets in hand. I left the others in line and slipped out to the box office, only to find that yes, I did need to pick up those will-call tickets. Several other people around me in line were in the same predicament, which they realized about the same time (when I returned with tickets in hand). This is something that really should have been made clearer, given that it could well have resulted in the disastrous situation of waiting all that time, only to be sent back to the box office upon reaching the gate. I'm all for the pros of ticketless options, but there should be consistency, given that only the .mu presale tix were not ticketless.

Overall thoughts on the new stuff

-New songs sounded great live. Supremacy was a beast, Panic Station was a lot of fun, Follow Me was great (although I think the "drop" may have destroyed my camera's mic : ), and Madness was a lot more enjoyable live. My girlfriend even managed to enjoy Explorers (which she despises on the album)! Liquid State is a great live song too, and wubwub and IS sounded really good. And SURVIVAL....brilliant closer. No complaints at all.

As far as old stuff goes, no complaints either. A lot of the stuff sounds much better now than it did last tour (imho). It's a little weird to have KoC farther up in the set, but nice that when the insane energy from that song settles, there's still half the show left to go!

Thoughts on T2L tour vs. TR tour:

I will admit that I did really like the tower design for the last tour. I thought it was just a really cool and original concept, although I recognize the restrictions it imposed on the show. But this tour was hands down better than TR, no doubt about it. Way more energy, wickedly cool stage design (the moving pyramid is genius and looks great, and I love all the myriad of video screens), better sets, more engagement with the audience, and better performance. A lot of the songs sounded better this go round, and if they'd just keep bringing back some more interesting older songs, I'd have nothing to complain about.

Also nice to see Morgan getting a little bit more visibility with his light-up console (rather than being hidden in the shadows of the towers).

Overall thoughts on the concerts: BRILLIANT. Absolutely loved it all, and even two shows was not nearly enough, and cannot wait until my next chance to see them! Now if only they'd come to the east coast of Canada....given that the working title for "Cave" was apparently "Nova Scotia", I think they owe us a visit to Halifax ;)

And finally...

Thoughts on meeting Muse...

As if the concerts weren't already good enough, we did also successfully manage to meet Muse!!!!! Thanks to the advice of our new Montreal friend from the first night, we staked out the rear entrance at the Bell Centre where bands apparently often exit. No luck the first night, but on night 2, just as we were about to give up, their chauffeurs came out for a smoke and confirmed that a) the band was still there and that b) they'd be leaving via that exit! They said they couldn't influence whether the band chose to stop to meet us, but they did promise to "drive slowly", which they did :)

Chris and Dom were in the first vehicle, and got out to meet our little group (7 of us in total), sign autographs and take photos with each of us. Matt also came out of the second vehicle a few minutes later, and did the same (although he just did one group photo with us). All of them were very nice, although Chris was definitely the nicest, followed by Matt. Dom seemed a bit tired, and I don't think he smiled even once during the whole time.

Meeting them was really amazing, and just capped off an unbelievable experience in the best way possible. Muse has been my far-and-away hands-down favourite band for years (they were the band that first got me really into music), so getting to see two unbelievable shows from them back to back, the first night at the barrier, and the second night meeting them...well...I still can't really believe last week happened.

:D

timberley---LOVED reading your detailed recaps and observations!! Not too long at all, IMO! I love reading super detailed accoutns of other fans experiences, so this was a great read, for me!

And CONGRATS on meeting Muse!!! WOWOW!! Just out of curiosity, how long did you have to wait before they left??

timberley---LOVED reading your detailed recaps and observations!! Not too long at all, IMO! I love reading super detailed accoutns of other fans experiences, so this was a great read, for me!

And CONGRATS on meeting Muse!!! WOWOW!! Just out of curiosity, how long did you have to wait before they left??

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it :) I'm one of those who loves reading these sorts of accounts as well, which is probably why I also like writing them! I do always hope that at least someone else out there feels the same and appreciates it.

With regard to meeting Muse (which I still can't believe actually happened :D ), they left just after 11:40pm, and with the show ending around 10:15, that would have made it close to an hour and a half after the show (it sure felt like longer!). I think though that they left sooner the first night, as some of our group waited until around 12:30 that night with no sign of them, leaving us to guess they left straight away or by more covert means.

Honestly, the only thing that kept us there the second night was their chauffeurs coming out to smoke. Otherwise we wouldn't have known they were still there, and we were almost ready to go home because of our lack of success the night before. We're all really glad we stayed!!

• 5 weeks later...

Hi ! I'm new on the forum, I wanted to share with you my experience of the show of April 23rd. :happy:

I arrived around 10 in the morning, my friend was already there since 7, we were waiting for 2 of our friends who were supposed to arrive on time for 6PM. I was waiting to meet the dude who sold me the tickets. (because I was broke in October, I missed the sale, and for me, it's GA or nothing, so I'm used to pay the big price ^^' :rolleyes: I discovered that the dude bought the tickets from the muse fan club, so I could get a ticket and I didn't had to wait to show a credit card... (seriously, ticketless is the worst idea ever :mad: ))

While the day, people invited us to sign a big banner and just before the doors opened, somebody gave us sheets with Dead Star written on it. (I just noticed that this guy is a forum member ^^) Me and my friends were like "Hey ! Let's use the back of the sheet and request our songs", and so we did. On my sheet, I wrote Micro Cuts ;)

We managed to be first row for the show (it was the 2nd time it was happening in my life, I was so proud). The show was incredible, when Matt sang Explorers, I had a ton of shivers running through my spine, I cheered when they played Map of the Problematique... and when Undisclosed Desired played, I wasn't expecting Matt passing in front of me !

I succeeded to shake his hand, I was still holding my Micro Cuts sign, he noticed it, he stepped back and took the sheet from my hands ! :D

I was sure they would play it but they didn't, I didn't care, I was so happy from the awesome show.

And then, I learned that they played it the night after, but I wasn't there... life isn't fair ! But oh well, I was happy to give them the idea ;)

Great review timberley, very nice to read!

I was there the first night, and the show was completely amazing, far better than The Resistance tour, even though I also liked the stage, I thought the sound was a lot clearer on The 2nd Law tour.

I completely lost my voice for a week, sang along the whole show, very nice setlist, though I would have love to be there the second night just for Micro Cuts and PIB...

Really enjoyed the show!

Yeah, I couldn't believe it when my friend wrote me on facebook and told me the playlist !

Then I watched the video on Youtube and I was like "if only I knew, I would have gone to both gigs in Montreal" (instead of going to the one on April 23rd and Quebec city on April 26th) :p

Archived