Matt Bellamys muting / guitar technique

eivdjo

Sounds like that would be massively overcomplicating the situation. If you cant play a guitar part cleanly without removing strings, you need to practice more.

Why am I still awake?

You wouldn't believe what producers sometimes have to deal with when it comes to recording! There's often a lot of drunk, stoned, egos strutting around, as well as musicians who are very sloppy players.

It's not always an option to use tricks like that. If the problem string is used in the next chord or picking pattern you'd spend more time editing and punching in than it would take to just move on to another musician or editing session while the guitarist learns to play his part. The studio is a ruthless bitch that will tear your soul apart if you are unprepared for it.

JT

It's not always an option to use tricks like that. If the problem string is used in the next chord or picking pattern you'd spend more time editing and punching in than it would take to just move on to another musician or editing session while the guitarist learns to play his part. The studio is a ruthless bitch that will tear your soul apart if you are unprepared for it.

JT

I'm sure it depends on the band's budget too. If they can't afford to be fucking off in the studio, then they'll be more likely to have their shit together when they go in. ;)

Everything is about budget. For indy bands preproduction should be the most important thing. If everyone has their shit together before they hit the studio you are in a much better place. I hate to say it but it also helps to make sure the weak links are either compensated for or out of the process. Can you tell I've learned some hard lessons over the years.:(

JT

Everything is about budget. For indy bands preproduction should be the most important thing. If everyone has their shit together before they hit the studio you are in a much better place. I hate to say it but it also helps to make sure the weak links are either compensated for or out of the process. Can you tell I've learned some hard lessons over the years.:(

JT

Yes, I assumed you've got some experience. ;)

And personally, for every band I've known (indy types -- but I've never done anything myself) they have taken their studio time quite seriously, and have been well prepared. But then I hear stories from extremely reliable sources about people like Courtney Love, who while recording "Live Through This" was so strung out on smack that they had to drag her to the microphone to sing/play her parts! And if they didn't get it on the first take -- forget about it for that day! :LOL:

Yeah, that's a whole other world. When you have that kind of budget you can pull that shit. I've talked to some engineers who have been the A2 on some big name records and the stories are both hilarious and disturbing, but mostly hilarious.

Getting back on the main target. I spent a little while looking at Matt's style yesterday and even after watching him on hundreds of videos and seeing him live from a few feet away, I'm still amazed at how cleanly he plays for how aggressively he picks. I've spent years dialing my right hand technique back because I was breaking two strings at a time and he's up there flaying at his guitar like it kissed his girl without permission and he still nails his parts. I guess that it goes without saying that he's a singular talent and what works for Matt probably won't work for anyone else.

JT

JT

As a producer, you should be looking for solutions to a problem. It is brilliant when everyone in the studio has their shit together, but if you can't work with people who have no idea what they are doing, you're in the wrong job.

I realize it is odd to mention Dave Matthews on a Muse board, but he is incredible at the technique the OP is describing. He also does it in MUCH more complicated ways. It gives an incredibly percussive sound to single notes. See the DMB songs Warehouse or Rhyme and Reason for a good example. It's definitely just something you need to practice.

Actually here's a guy doing a demo of warehouse and demonstrates it fairly well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqr_FDKXM4U"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqr_FDKXM4U

and a link to Dave playing rhyme and reason

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfJEQo_SNKs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mfJEQo_SNKs

have you seen my guitarist? He has a fairly similar technique (hitting strings hard, clean playing) but I would go out on a limb and say he's better than Bellamy. Probably not the best demonstration but...

Me gusta. Those vocals remind me of Amplifier

Also, what guitar is your guitarist using?

As a producer, you should be looking for solutions to a problem. It is brilliant when everyone in the studio has their shit together, but if you can't work with people who have no idea what they are doing, you're in the wrong job.

No offense but you might want to read what you just wrote to see how ridiculous it sounds.

JT

Archived