james90

And Claypool

And Wooten

And me in the future...

...I hope

Shh! Don't tell people about the bass side of EMG's. Then we'll lose all our secrets. :LOL:

I'm certain that aside from the Seymour Duncan in one of my basses, mine are all rebranded EMG's and they sound freaking amazing.

Actually, I put EMG's in my brother's guitar and they sound very warm when clean, would make for good rhythm work.

Edited by Crowella

I don't pay tax yet, but my dad probably pays between 25-30% of his income. What are you paying in the UK?

The problem for me is that, wonderfully pretentious as the US can be, if I want to live over there I either have to renounce my US Citizenship and pay only UK tax or keep my US Citizenship and pay a US expat tax on top of UK taxes. Hooray for the only country in the world who charges you not to live there.... :facepalm:

I pay 20%. It does up higher as you get into higher earnings those. I think anything over £34k you pay 30 or 40 % on.

I would prefer SDs over EMGs. But perhaps you should check out some more bass brands Bentley, EMG is not the 'holy grail of tone'.

I'd agree with that statement (secretly I love music man tone) but Ive been going more into wooten-style jazzy harmonic stuff (for which my hands hate me) and claypool funkadelia, and I prefer EMGs for those kinds of playing. That said, Ive been wanting to try some Bartolinis and SD's too, just to see what their strong suits are

Emg make alot of pickups, most people think they only make 81/81 81/85 the 60 and the 91 are great pickups, also some of the passive stuff are great, its just people think emg

= teh CHUGGZ, but the 60 are great for blues the 91's for jazz stuff :)

have you heard of the 89R? the guitar I bought recently (a japanese strat from Impulse 101) has one of those in the bridge. I forgot what the other two pickups were though.

I'll give them a chance anyway. I have some EMG selects (passives) in another guitar and they just sound horrible, but I understand those are nothing like the active ones

have you heard of the 89R? the guitar I bought recently (a japanese strat from Impulse 101) has one of those in the bridge. I forgot what the other two pickups were though.

I'll give them a chance anyway. I have some EMG selects (passives) in another guitar and they just sound horrible, but I understand those are nothing like the active ones

thats the duel mode pickup isnt it?

The Selects are crap. They were not even made my EMG. They just designed them and had some company in China build them from shit parts. They were only OEM on low end guitars.

The Pickups in the Hot Rod Strat that's on it's way to you now (Dimarzios are in the bag too.) are SAV prototypes and an 89R. The SAV's are actual single coils with exposed pole pieces and all. They even hum when you're not touching the strings. The only difference is that they have a preamp and are very quiet when you are grounding the strings. The bridge pup is the 89R and I have it in my PRS and my old '62 reissue strat that I use as my drop D tuned head basher. The tonality of the 89R is close to a Duncan '59 but with more top end from the low impedance output. It's a great pup and is my favorite in the EMG line.

JT