NME Greatest Singers Of All Time

JadeLovesMuse

Well Freddie is definitely the best, but apart from that, here's my top 10 in no particular order:

1. Freddie Mercury

Steven Tyler

Robert Plant

Aretha Franklin

Jim Morrison

Jeff Buckley

Michael Jackson

Paul McCartney

Axl Rose

And of course, Mr. Bellamy :)

There's probably some I'm missing.

I've never really liked Freddie's voice that much. I mean it's good obviously but it doesn't really do much for me.

It's like anything else really, some people will like it some wont, but i think the quality of his live performances (and not just vocally) is what really makes him stand out as one of the greatest.

This list isn't too bad.

I agree. The current rankings ( Matt at 9) looks pretty accurate except I don't agree that Axl should be 2nd. Maybe 10th, but like, say, Elvis has a better voice than Axl, as does Steven Tyler and even Damon Alburn (mmmmmm Damon.... :stongue:), but I ranked quite a few on list as 9 and 10 simply because I can. I also don't understand why Mr. Cobain is so high (no pun intended) as well. His musicality was fantastic, vocals very raw, but if Nirvana hadn't been so iconic would he be as high on the list? I think Layne Staley from Alice In Chains and Chris Cornell have better "grunge" voices, but their bands aren't "quite" as iconic as Nirvana across the rest of the world, if you know what I mean!

My two cents....:D

I agree. The current rankings ( Matt at 9) looks pretty accurate except I don't agree that Axl should be 2nd. Maybe 10th, but like, say, Elvis has a better voice than Axl, as does Steven Tyler and even Damon Alburn (mmmmmm Damon.... :stongue:), but I ranked quite a few on list as 9 and 10 simply because I can. I also don't understand why Mr. Cobain is so high (no pun intended) as well. His musicality was fantastic, vocals very raw, but if Nirvana hadn't been so iconic would he be as high on the list? I think Layne Staley from Alice In Chains and Chris Cornell have better "grunge" voices, but their bands aren't "quite" as iconic as Nirvana across the rest of the world, if you know what I mean!

My two cents....:D

Albarn ;)

Am I the only one who finds Axl Rose to be really, really, really annoying in every way? His voice is just painful.

His voice used to pretty awesome for the style of music, but yeah, pretty obnoxious in every way now! When I was in High school Appetite For Destruction had just come out and they were really unique compared to all the hair bands (Motley Crue, Poison, Skid Row etc) that was out. A breath of fresh air actually in the rock world. Now, not so much. He went waaaaaaayyyyy far up his own ass!

His voice used to pretty awesome for the style of music, but yeah, pretty obnoxious in every way now! When I was in High school Appetite For Destruction had just come out and they were really unique compared to all the hair bands (Motley Crue, Poison, Skid Row etc) that was out. A breath of fresh air actually in the rock world. Now, not so much. He went waaaaaaayyyyy far up his own ass!

Same. I still love Appetite For Destruction. Sweet Child o Mine was such a revelation at the time :LOL:

Archived