Which Expression/Volume Pedals are compatible with a Digitech Whammy WH4?

rust_relic

Can anyone else help? I've got an old WH4 Whammy (my first one I bought 11 years ago) and the expression pedal is worn out so it doesn't stay up anymore. I was going to stick it in my rack and try and control it from an expression pedal plugged into my Rocktron All Access and controlling it by MIDI

I have an old Bespecko Expression pedal (similar to the Line 6 EX1) for my Line 6 and that doesn't seem compatible with it, I have also recently got an Ernie Ball Volume Pedal Jr 6180 with a Stereo-Mono Y Lead and that doesn't seem to work properly either.

If I have the Whammy on up 1 octave and pick an E note with the pedal back and then push it al the way forward it will go from that E up to about D# so won't go all the way up to the octave, doesn't matter what I do when trying to recalibrate the Whammy

Don't want to keep buying and selling Expression Pedals until I get it right, does anyone know which pedals will work please? :)

i think the molten voltage guys will have something for you

they even willing to burn custom firmwares on their chips

edit: disregard this, i though you need some external pushbutton style control pedal

btw due to the mechanics of these pedals, i think they can't really utilize the pots full travel

i think the value of the pot does not matters because it acts as a voltage divider

the taper should matter, with digital stuff like the whammy i would use linear taper because that makes sense but maybe the engineers @ digitech calculated the use of log pots into the whammy control voltage slope or whatever is it called.

i don't know anything about expresion pedals coz i have never had any but i think they should use linear pots and only volume pedals should use log pots.

this is borrowed from musecasters, showing Matt used a Stereo 25K pedal plugged into the back of his Roctron but not sure why it is only wired from one output, I thought with Volume Pedals you have to use a Y lead

Looked into it and one of these is £190, might as well buy a new whammy instead!! :)

rocktron-1.jpg

I'd suggest a boss FV-500 (I don't remember if i have the high or low impedance)

I like mine 10x more than the Ernie Ball footpedals. I can't stand the string that the Ernie Balls use. I currently use 2 of them with my all access to control a ton of stuff with my axe-fx.

Thanks! :D

If you do end up going the boss route I'd suggest you buy 2 separate cables for it. You can do an 1/8th inch stereo on both ends into the "pedal 1" jack of the all access or you can do 1/8th inch stereo (all access side) to 2 1/8th mono jacks to plug into the input and output of the pedal. I do it the second way because it seems to give me better results with the sweep of the pedal.

Board.jpg

This is my board. The Boss FV-500H pedals are hooked up using insert cables (TRS to dual TS 1/4" Jacks) they run anything in my rack that accepts MIDI CC messages. It's very easy to set up and the Rocktron pedal works in exactly the same manner. Get any decent volume pedal and it will work pretty much regardless of the impedance of the pedal. Taper makes a difference, but only a slight one as it only affects the throw of the pedal.

JT

Archived