Muse influences (classical music)

flowerwalk

Hello there! I'm not a classical music lover, but I suppose it will be easier for me to start listenning it if I find something familiar, maybe some Muse tunes. What would you recommend?

I'm also interested in composers whose influences are clearly heard in Muse music, maybe you can point on some song and show the "quotation"? Anyone?

Hello there! I'm not a classical music lover, but I suppose it will be easier for me to start listenning it if I find something familiar, maybe some Muse tunes. What would you recommend?

I'm also interested in composers whose influences are clearly heard in Muse music, maybe you can point on some song and show the "quotation"? Anyone?

Stockholm Syndrome is great to help listening to classical music! :LOL:

Rachmaninov is the fave composer to compare to/link to for classical influences, but you could also try Chopin, Holst, even Berlioz. Also, Rich Costey worked with Philip Glass and drew some influences from that into his production work on Absolution.

Matt's claimed to be influenced loads of varying composers at one time or another, but I think Rachmaninov's style is still the standout influence in their songs (practically ripped off in some parts of Space Dementia :p), but you can hear undertones of other artists in there, especially in OoS era.

Rachmaninov is the fave composer to compare to/link to for classical influences, but you could also try Chopin, Holst, even Berlioz. Also, Rich Costey worked with Philip Glass and drew some influences from that into his production work on Absolution.

Matt's claimed to be influenced loads of varying composers at one time or another, but I think Rachmaninov's style is still the standout influence in their songs (practically ripped off in some parts of Space Dementia :p), but you can hear undertones of other artists in there, especially in OoS era.

+1

Yeah, I was given an ABC Centre voucher by my grandparents for Christmas, and my parents made me buy something classical related (I play the flute, but I can never really be stuffed listening to classical stuff)

So I bought Rachmaninov's 2nd and 3rd Piano Concertos cuz I saw on Musewiki that Space Dementia has a bit of the 2nd in it... a minute and a half in and I noticed it hehe :)

Anyways, defs start with Rachmaninov, but Chopin is really good, and as a personal favourite, I love Percy Grainger (Aussie!) ... he's a pretty cool turtle :)

Enjoy!

Collateral Damage, the second part of United States Of Eurasia is a cover of a Chopin waltz in Eb major (that's not what it's called, I can't remember the name). So I guess that could be a direct link to his classical background.

are you thinking nocturne? hehe... I tried to play that on the piano once = EPIC FAIL.

are you thinking nocturne? hehe... I tried to play that on the piano once = EPIC FAIL.

Yeah... Matt makes it sound easy.

Nocturne in E flat, Op. 9, No. 2.

Also, maybe not directly Musey, but Tchaikovsky is quite extravagant at times (Like Muse)... Especially his 1812 overture. Listz has lots of good piano stuff, and Rossini's overtures are superb.

Also, maybe not directly Musey, but Tchaikovsky is quite extravagant at times (Like Muse)... Especially his 1812 overture. Listz has lots of good piano stuff, and Rossini's overtures are superb.

THE THIEVING MAGPIE!!!

Hehe... I don't really have many other favourites... but I like Romeo and Juliet by Prokofiev (not only because it's in HAARP...), and Vivaldi... :D

Sorry I can't remember my sources... but here here are some classical songs/artists that have influenced Matt:

Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No. 2 - Matt said (I believe!) this was one of his favourite piano concertos, and he said there is a bit of it in Space Dementia. (the concerto is also one of my favourites, by the way :happy:)

Matt has also played variations of Rachmaninov's music, like the live intro to Screenager.

Tchaikovsky Piano Concerto No. 1 - The really powerful piano chords that enter in Hoodoo are like the opening of the first movement. Matt said this somewhere... or maybe it's on Muse Wiki.

Berlioz Grande Messe des Morts (sorry if I messed up the spelling!) - Muse collectively have said this was an influence/that they like it. In my opinion it wouldn't be the kind of music you should start with if you are just getting into classical music...

Chopin - Certainly one of Matt's influences, as mentioned before, like through Nocturne in United States of Eurasia/Collateral Damage...

Whoa, I kind of went a bit overboard... this is what I could think of right now. but I hope it helps!

Rachmaninov Piano Concerto No. 2 - Matt (I believe!) said this was one of his favourite piano concertos, and he said there is a bit of it in some of it in Origin of Symmetry. (the concerto also one of my favourites, by the way :happy:)

Oh my god! That is pretty much my most favourite piece of classical music ever!:eek:

Whenever I hear "Dance of the Knights" by Prokofiev, I always skip the part where KoC begins... :)

Oh my god! That is pretty much my most favourite piece of classical music ever!:eek:

Whenever I hear "Dance of the Knights" by Prokofiev, I always skip the part where KoC begins... :)

I know, it's amazing! :awesome: Probably my favourite. Also Ravel's Piano Concerto in G probably in second.

Ahh yes... Dance of the Knights... that's usually what I do to. :chuckle:

Forgot this one... Lots of fun!

Rachmaninov's rhapsody on a theme of paganini

:D

Of course :happy:, love it.

The Rachmaninov piece I mentioned earlier as being the inspiration for the live Screenager intro:

... and Matt's (Eurockenees 2002 - the only one I've seen, not sure if it's the best one or anything!):

Beautiful. :awesome:

Of course :happy:, love it.

The Rachmaninov piece I mentioned earlier as being the inspiration for the live Screenager intro:

... and Matt's (Eurockenees 2002 - the only one I've seen, not sure if it's the best one or anything!):

Beautiful. :awesome:

Wow! That is amazing! Matt is amazing! I reckon the bestest thing ever would be if Matt turned some classical pieces into rock pieces... :)

I really love classical music. Just getting it out there :)

Tocatta and Fugue in D minor by Bach = :D

And 'The Kraken' from the second Pirates soundtrack:

Wow! That is amazing! Matt is amazing! I reckon the bestest thing ever would be if Matt turned some classical pieces into rock pieces... :)

I really love classical music. Just getting it out there :)

Tocatta and Fugue in D minor by Bach = :D

And 'The Kraken' from the second Pirates soundtrack:

That would be amazing! :awesome:

As do I. :yesey:

Haha, I played The Kraken in my symphony a while ago. :awesome:

And... Matt playing Chopin's Ocean Etude Op. 15, No. 12 as an intro to Sunburn, in 2001:

That would be amazing! :awesome:

As do I. :yesey:

Haha, I played The Kraken in my symphony a while ago. :awesome:

And... Matt playing Chopin's Ocean Etude Op. 15, No. 12 as an intro to Sunburn, in 2001:

Humoresque in G flat major, op. 101 no. 7., by Dvořák

Very soft and slow and beautiful

Humoresque in G flat major, op. 101 no. 7., by Dvořák

Very soft and slow and beautiful

:yesey: I love the piano version too! Also here's Maxim Vengerov and Bassiona Amorosa playing Czardas. The bass is crazy!

And my second favourite piano concerto, Ravel's Piano Concerto in G:

Although it is quite... experimental? Not really sure how to describe it. It has kind of jazz elements like in Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue (another fantastic piece of music :happy:), and it may be an aquired taste...

:yesey: I love the piano version too! Also here's Maxim Vengerov and Bassiona Amorosa playing Czardas. The bass is crazy!

And my second favourite piano concerto, Ravel's Piano Concerto in G:

Although it is quite... experimental? Not really sure how to describe it. It has kind of jazz elements like in Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue (another fantastic piece of music :happy:), and it may be an aquired taste...

I love it when composers mix genres.

Maybe that's why I love Muse so much!

DAMMIT. And I've studied music history for three years. :$ I should know this.

But I find it a really fun song to play. I can see exactly why Matthew used it. playing it feels like playing a Muse song.

I think this one also inspired the middle part of Assassin GOBE…also, anyone else hear a bit of Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto no. 2 in Megalomania as well or is it just me?

btw, never saw that bit of Matt playing Chopin's Ocean etude before……always loved that one. Very interesting to see how he interpreted it, even if it was a bit botched up. :D

I think this one also inspired the middle part of Assassin GOBE…also, anyone else hear a bit of Rachmaninoff's Piano Concerto no. 2 in Megalomania as well or is it just me?

btw, never saw that bit of Matt playing Chopin's Ocean etude before……always loved that one. Very interesting to see how he interpreted it, even if it was a bit botched up. :D

Yeah I thought so too.

He played it better than I could, hence, I don't care.

Archived