What is Matt's Mic Stand?

coltonredwine

http://www.musewiki.com/Microphones

Matt's Microphone stands have until recently been K&M 23850 desk mounted stands, these crane mics suiting Bellamy's singing technique.

Most recently during The Resistance tour, both Matt and Chris use Yellowtec MIKARM YT3201 Studio Mic Booms which are Aluminium frames giving optimum movement. These are desktop mics mounted on a stage mic stand and usually cost around $225.00 . (unfortunately they can't seem to be found in the UK) These mic stands, previously believed to be custom built for Muse are actually used in studios, most commonly in radio stations.

• 6 months later...

Those are definitely Yellowtech Mika arms, I have six studios at work that are full of them. They are better than the old spring tensioned broadcast boom arms because they are silent. The springs on the old style mounts would generate noise by vibrating and would slap against the arm itself when moved quickly and the way that Matt moves on stage I'm sure that they changed for that reason.

JT

• 7 months later...

I've just ordered the K&M mic arm online, hoping to make a mic stand like Muse, I've also ordered a speaker stand to mount it so it stands on the floor.

Just wondering if anyone has tried to do this themselves before and how it went with them.

I'm a vocalist and guitarist, so obviously it's useful to stop guitars hitting off the mic stand,and I figured Muse have the right idea! :-)

I've just ordered the K&M mic arm online, hoping to make a mic stand like Muse, I've also ordered a speaker stand to mount it so it stands on the floor.

Just wondering if anyone has tried to do this themselves before and how it went with them.

I'm a vocalist and guitarist, so obviously it's useful to stop guitars hitting off the mic stand,and I figured Muse have the right idea! :-)

The stuff arrived in the post not long ago. The k&m mic arm is connected to a k&m speaker stand and it looks epic!

Shall try to get some pics up if I can :-)

• 1 month later...

Cheers Peter, its epic!!

Works like a charm, absolutely brilliant, so I see why Matt used them all these years.

Plus as a guitarist and vocalist it really works well, keeps clear of the guitar but lets you move around a bit as well.

They're both K&M and th Mic arm is attached to a speaker stand, since Muse's floor base were custom made - I was more worried about it just being stable. :-P

I got both of them for about £100 plus delivery. Not sure how much that'd be in dollars or how delivery would work but all the same - it's a German based music company called Thomann. Check it out :-)

The speaker stand was K&M 23850 I think. Or 21850... Something like that.

Any more details, or for assembly- pm me or whatever :-)

Plus stick a Dunlop pick holder on there and you're good to go :-)

Hope this helps you and anyone else! :-D

Plug in Baby!!!

Archived