Interview with Matt in Time Out Magazine - 'Muse go galactic'

NicoleW

I get the impression that it's always been about the music with Matt. There may have been different ways of expressing it such as aiming it for large venues and bringing in theatrical elements to support it, but he has said he believes in the music they are doing and I believe him.

+1

I never got the impression that it wasn't about the music. I could maybe see how some people might think that, but it never hit me that way.

I get the impression that it's always been about the music with Matt. There may have been different ways of expressing it such as aiming it for large venues and bringing in theatrical elements to support it, but he has said he believes in the music they are doing and I believe him.

of course you do carrie.

+1

I never got the impression that it wasn't about the music. I could maybe see how some people might think that, but it never hit me that way.

well that's fine. i figure when the production is so huge and inflexible that they are unwilling or unable to play anything except essentially the same setlist for a year now that it's not about the music.

if people enjoy the production great. but i didn't become a fan of muse concert productions. i became a fan of their music.

well that's fine. i figure when the production is so huge and inflexible that they are unwilling or unable to play anything except essentially the same setlist for a year now that it's not about the music.

if people enjoy the production great. but i didn't become a fan of muse concert productions. i became a fan of their music.

The setlist has never bothered me. I thought my mom had made a good point of saying that when they play their big hits, even the casual Muse fans could really enjoy the concert.

I can see your point, though.

The setlist has never bothered me. I thought my mom had made a good point of saying that when they play their big hits, even the casual Muse fans could really enjoy the concert.

I can see your point, though.

thanks :) i think even casual fans would appreciate the hugeness of some of their less well known, yet equally massive songs...if given the opportunity to hear/see how great they are live.

Nice interview with Matt about the upcoming Wembley shows, expanding a bit on what NME already reported. Scans below, haven't got time to transcribe, so if someone else fancies it feel free! :)

TimeOut1.jpg

TimeOut2.jpg

Thank you for the scan! Nicely done interview!

Bring on the intimate avenues Matt (of maybe only 12,000?) I can't see corporate promoters letting them do gigs for 1 to 2K people. Can you imagine the presales for those? Gone in 3 seconds.

Stripped down, yes. Entire acoustic album? No thanks. I feel that would be so boring, especially for Muse.

I agree. I became a big fan because of the richness of their sound. Much as I love, love Unintended, I can't see a whole show of Unintended variations.

Maybe occasionally an all accoustic show will be a treat and fun for Matt, and to give the other 3 boys a vacation!

I'm a relatively new Muse fan, but I was under the impression that part of their audience appeal (fan base) came from Matt's destruction of guitars on stage, jumping off drum sets onto Dom, jumping through set elements, pouring champagne on the audience, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the music, but also a fan of their theatrics. I think their concert productions have just evolved into more expensive and tangible theatrics.

It would be a nightmare! :eek::LOL:

even if they did more contest type special gigs, like they did a couple times in paris and berlin interspersed with larger arena gigs it would be good. and they could still get away with doing venues of 8-12k or so with a less restrictive production.

the way they did tickets for teignmouth i thought worked out great. :)

I'm a relatively new Muse fan, but I was under the impression that part of their audience appeal (fan base) came from Matt's destruction of guitars on stage, jumping off drum sets onto Dom, jumping through set elements, pouring champagne on the audience, etc. Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of the music, but also a fan of their theatrics. I think their concert productions have just evolved into more expensive and tangible theatrics.

well, even if that were true, i think those moments were generally more spontaneous anyway. that kind of energy isn't the sort of thing that distances the audience or limits them (the band) musically. i would imagine that's why early audiences felt so connected to the music and to the show.

the larger shows have limited that a lot...and i think fans have been trying to make up for that distance much more so than the band has. people going in groups wearing wigs, making signs/banners/flags, chucking glowsticks etc. has maybe made them feel more a part of the concerts than they would otherwise.

i dunno...just a guess :)

even if they did more contest type special gigs, like they did a couple times in paris and berlin interspersed with larger arena gigs it would be good. and they could still get away with doing venues of 8-12k or so with a less restrictive production.

the way they did tickets for teignmouth i thought worked out great. :)

I would love if they did the mixture of smaller/huge venues! And I would enjoy seeing a less restrictive production at some point. But I can't help loving the towers as well :)

How did they do the tickets for Teignmouth?

Keep in mind that they're touring in support of an album, which only has 9 songs playable live. Of those 9, IBTY is too eccentric to play more than once in a blue moon, and MK Ultra is a difficult vocal for Matt, so you're left with 7 songs that can be played regularly.

All of the remaining songs belong in a certain part of the set due to their mood and instrumentals. USoE needs a piano intro for example. UD is a slower, less powerful song, so it needs to be towards the end. Uprising, GL and Overture all only work in a certain part of the set. That leaves only US and Resistance which can be moved around the setlist.

There's not much they can do with the set without dropping a significant portion of the album they're touring in support of.

Archived