House of the rising sun

Claudia O

It got re-released on the Warchild-compilation „1 love“ 

ok. Never heard it before … but I think Muse butchered this song, sorry. Yeah, it‘s cool when Matt screams the lyrics. Yes, they made a shorter version of it, so made it their own. But I love the original, it‘s a masterpiece. Those high-hats are so high, in general it sounds so thin  😖 but! I‘d love to hear their version live now, with Matts lower vocals, more warmth to it, more richer in the sound 🤩 maybe I‘d like it then. 

your opinions?

On 9/15/2021 at 11:52 AM, Claudia O said:

It got re-released on the Warchild-compilation „1 love“ 

ok. Never heard it before … but I think Muse butchered this song, sorry. Yeah, it‘s cool when Matt screams the lyrics. Yes, they made a shorter version of it, so made it their own. But I love the original, it‘s a masterpiece. Those high-hats are so high, in general it sounds so thin  😖 but! I‘d love to hear their version live now, with Matts lower vocals, more warmth to it, more richer in the sound 🤩 maybe I‘d like it then. 

your opinions?

I always liked Muse's version. I'm a sucker for a noisy or "heavy" song with a 3/4 or 6/8 time signature. Add to that he ballsy intro, the vocal delivery (a bit more than just screaming, I think), the bleep-bloop arpeggios Muse couldn't do without back then, it all fits perfectly with their sound from that time.

Besides, there are so many renditions of this song already (at least for the last 400 years, apparently), that it would be silly to stay too close to any previously recorded version, it's kind of a nice blank slate that way. 

1 hour ago, minnie said:

Sorry, nothing, nobody, no how beats The Animals version!

Yes, exactly. Same goes with Bridge over troubled water … or Sound of silence … but I prefer  f.e. Joe Cockers version of „ With a little help from my friends“  to the original by The Beatles 😏

Edited by Claudia O

19 hours ago, minnie said:

Sorry, nothing, nobody, no how beats The Animals version!

It’s not a competition though.

And it’s kind of what I’m saying, it would be silly if Muse tried to approximate or copy the Animals’ version of a public-domain old folk song, and they didn’t. They made it their own which makes it a successful cover in my opinion. 

Edited by That Little Animal
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 12/16/2021 at 5:05 AM, Citizen_Eraser said:

Thanks for posting this! I'd been looking for a digital version of this for a while earlier this year after losing a HDD of music and going to apple music to get everything back. This song wasn't listed forever. 

Got the FLAC of it from the CD if you’re the kinda person to want that stuff