Origin XX

Jobby

I mentioned in my email from the off that I didn’t think sending new copies would solve anything since, by all accounts, it’s a universal problem with this pressing. Followed that up by asking if things would be fixed with a future pressing and if there was any idea when that might be, so we could get a copy then instead (either sent as a replacement or with refund money).

Fingers crossed they’re working something out 🤞

On 7/11/2021 at 7:01 PM, svenisms said:

On a semi-unrelated note, Pitchfork finally reviewed OoS and I must say, I’m pleasantly surprised!

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/muse-origin-of-symmetry/

Nice! I think Pitchfork’s Sunday series of reviews of classics they’ve previously overlooked is (on their own scale) a bit skewed towards the positive. Probably because they are reviewed by people who already have an affinity for the albums, otherwise they wouldn’t consider them overlooked.

And, of course, a contemporary review carries a lot of hindsight within it, with time and Muse’s consequent  (Post Absolution) releases lifting OoS into a more favorable light over time. 

I’m sure they would have hated it back in the day. 

Edited by That Little Animal

They also say “the reissue is definitive” though, soooo

I find it amazing that they point out New Born’s drums specifically as something that improved, when to me they stand out for exactly the opposite.

Nah in all seriousness, I relistened to it all last night in super quality with headphones and honestly some of it is incredible, enough to make me a bit emotional even. Futurism is one of the best mixes I think I’ve ever heard, full stop. Hyper Music is comically blown out to fuck, there’s a weird hiss at the start of Bliss and a few songs have weak drums in spots but, other than that, the mixes themselves are great. Just wish they’d been able to hold back in terms of tampering with the original, it keeps songs like Space Dementia/CE/Micro Cuts from being my new go-to versions.

Black Holes next with Futurism treatment and personally consult me with what to re-add or take away and I’ll cry.

Edit: also, got a response to my support email, says they’re unaware of the Micro Cuts issue 🤨 doubt, but they say they’ve forwarded it higher for now

Edited by Jobby

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/19/2021 at 3:26 AM, That Little Animal said:

I’m sure they would have hated it back on the day. 

No doubt! But on the bright side, maybe this is some indication that history might look kindly on the legacy of Muse! They aren't exactly held in particularly high regard these days, at least in my travels; so maybe they're a band that really benefits from nostalgia and hindsight!

• 4 months later...
On 12/8/2021 at 9:00 PM, lew99 said:

any updates on the fact that micro cuts is still a bit fucked?

permafucked m8

I had an email exchange with support as soon as I got it, explaining that it was seemingly a universal issue and was obviously present on the digital copies at first as well. Said I’d be happy to leave a refund if they knew anything about it being fixed in a later batch and they just said it’d be best to take the refund.

Amazing cock up when you think about it. Proper up there in the Muse hierarchy