Origin XX

Jobby

Yeah that’s what I saw too

Can’t just be basically another remaster though, surely? We got that literally a couple of years ago 😂

Edit: ah, now I’m seeing it’s apparently been (at least somewhat) re-recorded? oh jeez oh dear, pls be ok

edit 2: the more I think about this potential idea, I really really really really do not want

edit 3: muse re-recording fucking origin of symmetry is really an event that needed the old board to still be alive for it

edit 4: potentially false alarm, I’m not seeing that it’s “unused takes” - you’d better fecking hope but, even still, I don’t like this kinda revisionist vibe of literally your magnum opus. Like, are these versions and this tracklist now gonna become the ‘official’ versions? ‘Cos kinda no pls

Edited by Jobby
  • Like 2

pffff... not sure about remixes of Rock-songs, I mean remixes are mostly dance-tracks! I hope, no - I know ! - they won‘t be dance-songs 🤣

re-recordings: are they any good? If so, you‘d need to change them ... I love OOS, my fave Muse album. I don‘t want it changed.

Dear Matt, Dom and Chris just give us dates for a OOS -tour: the whole album, plus their B-sides .. and we‘d be more than happy 😁😎

• Like 1

I really like the remixed CE, looking forward to hearing the rest. I don't think it's meant to replace the originals, but I really like that the drums, guitar, and piano are much more prominent in the new mix. Also it seems they finally added the strings that were originally supposed to be in the song (in the outro section). 

1 hour ago, Tesseract said:

I really like the remixed CE, looking forward to hearing the rest. I don't think it's meant to replace the originals, but I really like that the drums, guitar, and piano are much more prominent in the new mix. Also it seems they finally added the strings that were originally supposed to be in the song (in the outro section). 

The strings sound strange, maybe because I‘m not used to  them being there .. I didn‘t know they were supposed to be in the song! 

I’m not and will probs never be an audiophile so I won’t claim to be a wealth of knowledge on mixing and master but that sounded like just a big nope to me

Completely blown out, the harmonics and snare in the intro sounded horrible. So many things felt like they just got lost in the “TURN IT UP” sesh. This felt like CE if it gorged itself on an all-you-can-eat buffet for a month straight. The outro felt so much...heavier and ploddier, rather than tender and vulnerable. The chorus/flange effect on the clean solo honestly made me chuckle in a kinda morbid way. Literally the only thing that I heard and found in anyway cool were the tweaked falsettos in the chorus, but even then I wouldn’t say I preferred them to the original’s.

I legit saw some people hyping this up as a better mix than the original CE and this is officially my new #1 most confusing Muse opinion after the people who claimed Mercy sounded like Dead Star. Just...bloated. Like, I have to listen to the rest of the record out of morbid curiosity at the very least but my christ am I kinda dreading it. Why would you do this to my favourite child moose?

edit: I’m at least 80% sure they ran this through audacity, clicked “amplify” by x% and just laughed when the “this will cause some clipping” warning popped up

Edited by Jobby

44 minutes ago, lew99 said:

£22.99 on amazon uk apparently... still a bit confused as to what this is though. 

It’s mostly a heavy remixing job with the odd part sounding like it’s re-recorded. Judging from CE at least.

• Sad 1

Even though the original OOS will always be the original OOS for me, I can't help but get hyped af for this! The more OOS content, the better! And yeah, I was one of those mooks who never got to buy the Origin Of Muse set, which I will regret every single day, for the rest of my life.

Do you know what would‘ve been a much better release? Oos live, in full, at Reading 2011 - on Vinyl. For Record  Store Day or not, I don‘t care. Yes, the one from the boxset. Why not do the fans a favour? There are many who couldn‘t afford the boxset..

Who‘s drunk idea was it to mix a masterpiece?? Or did Warner say „Let‘s make it modern!“ 😳😕 

edit: for me a remix is changing a song, like they did remixes of songs on b-sides! Change them to reggae, or techno or whatever, done by DJs... I get it that this remixing means something else, ok! 

Edited by Claudia O
  • Like 1

I’m not sure how I feel about this. 
Citizen Erased has forever been my favourite song of all time. On first listen and being a total noob with audio/mixing/production I didn’t hear a massive difference to justify a entire new release or reimagining of this album. It sounded good, don’t get me wrong, I could hear some strings, but will have to have a few more listens to have a proper opinion on this. 

I feel like a nice deluxe repress with a fancy coloured vinyl and futurism in the track list would have been fine with a anniversary tour. 

The opening drums are weak as fuck, but other than that, I like a lot about the new mix. It's not gonna replace the original, but it's fun to hear certain parts more clearly.

It's interesting how they back in 2001 went "nah, the strings are too much" but in 2021 it's "yeah, put those strings back in". Very telling of the difference between 2001 and 2021 Muse.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hat said:

It's interesting how they back in 2001 went "nah, the strings are too much" but in 2021 it's "yeah, put those strings back in". Very telling of the difference between 2001 and 2021 Muse.

Literally knew this would be exactly the case before I even heard the strings were back in. No shock that they’re apparently added back in for other songs too :’)

5 hours ago, Claudia O said:

Found this: 

See, some of the wording of this is what I don’t like. They’re not talking about it like an alternative/optional version imo, it’s like a revised update. Big “this is what it *should’ve* been like” vibes to me. “Rescuing parts”, “making great strides” and featuring “all facets of its intricate original production”. Go awaaaaaayyyyy. This stuff wasn’t ‘hidden’ or ‘lost’, it was fecking intentionally cut for artistic reasons that made it beloved by everyone else as well.

Ugggggh honestly more power to the people who do enjoy it but this feels so icky to me. Origin is a product of its time and these decisions were made intentionally, and they’re all part of why it’s your most acclaimed album. Don’t try to imply that you’re now ‘restoring’ some kind of secret real version just because this is how you’d do it 20 years later, as completely different people.

Edited by Jobby
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Yeah, I can’t quite tell if they’re intentionally going for a retro ‘nu-millenium cool’ vibe or if it is just a mess 😂 merch has been pretty dry since even T2L now I feel but it has felt particularly naff lately

Edit: also I pointed this out on Twitter but I do think it’s worth noting at this point that, since Muse started celebrating anniversaries with the R+L shows in 2011 - Origin has been at the heart of 2.5/3 within 10 years 😂 lads I know we went on about it a lot back in the day but there are also other *pretty* good albums that could actually do with at least a flippin’ remaster

Edited by Jobby
  • Like 1

I quite like it as s an alternative. Bass has more oopmh and the vocal layers are a lot clearer. Looking forward to hearing the rest. There's a weird arpeggio like keyboard track in the last chorus of Darkshines that gets drowned out, so I'm looking forward to see if it has been restored in this version. Not sure why some folk are throwing their toys out of the pram, the original version still exists and is commercially available. Just a shame it costs £300 to listen to the remaster because the band bundled it only with a limited supply boxset....

On 5/19/2021 at 5:41 PM, Jobby said:

edit 4: potentially false alarm, I’m not seeing that it’s “unused takes” - you’d better fecking hope but, even still, I don’t like this kinda revisionist vibe of literally your magnum opus. Like, are these versions and this tracklist now gonna become the ‘official’ versions? ‘Cos kinda no pls

I'm sure these won't become the "official" versions. Hopefully will remain just an alternative version. I'm excited to hear this. Like a harpsichord in Micro Cuts? Hell yeah.

And 100% if this had happened in 2011 the hype on this board would have been awesome. RIP.