Best camera for Muse

Krissa90

Ok, I know this has been talked about before but I can´t find it :$

Can anybody tell me what is a good camera for a muse concert? My budget is arount 160 pounds.

You can lock this thread and post the link for other threads about this subject if you want ;)

The lumix is brilliant!! The only bad thing about it is that the battery doesn't last for a whole concert (I tried to film one last year and the battery ran low in the middle of Unnatural Selection:mad::mad:). But still, great camera! And fits easily in every pocket...;)

The lumix is brilliant!! The only bad thing about it is that the battery doesn't last for a whole concert (I tried to film one last year and the battery ran low in the middle of Unnatural Selection:mad::mad:). But still, great camera! And fits easily in every pocket...;)

Depends how much you film... I have used it to film and takes pictures at gigs before and never ran out of battery. Of course I don't film the whole gig!

I've had this at every gig I've been to but then I do a lot of filming. Not the whole gig by any means but maybe a couple of entire sings then bits and pieces of lots of songs.

I bought a spare battery (which I've had to use at every gig) at the same time I bought the camera as I'd already read lots of reviews in which poor battery life were mentioned so I was forewarned before purchase:)

Krissa, can you order from amazon.co.uk and have it sent to Iceland?

This is the camera Laure and I (and many others) use..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Panasonic-Lumix-TZ7-Digital-Camera/dp/B001T0H0RG

I've no idea what their policy or rates are for sending abroad though.

Many, many Musers use the Panasonic Lumix. Here's (I think) the latest model: http://www.letsgodigital.org/en/24874/panasonic-lumix-tz10/ You can get a better deal on an older model, and the main functions are the same. The newer models just add more bells and whistles. HTH! :)

Ah YES! That's the camera I have! But mine had 4x optical zoom...for someone who will be at level 5 at Wembley, do you think I'll be able to get any decent pics?

Ah YES! That's the camera I have! But mine had 4x optical zoom...for someone who will be at level 5 at Wembley, do you think I'll be able to get any decent pics?

Decent pics of the stage yes but 4x won't be enough to get pictures of the individual members I think.

Oh, I think so. Better than you'd expect, anyway. Mine (TZ3) zooms to 12x on the regular setting, but you can go into Menu and change the picture size from 10m to 3m and it will let you zoom 21x. Supposedly the quality is not as good at that setting, but I can't really tell.

With the 4x zoom, see if you can change that setting and maybe double it at least. Then you can always crop it on the computer to zoom in more. Worth a shot, anyway!

If you only have 4x optical zoom it can't be the TZ10 you have:erm:

There are many, many models in the Lumix series;)

I'll try and give you some idea but as Laure says, the absolute best you can hope for will be photos of the stage set, you won't get any decent photos of the actual band I'm afraid.

In 2007 I was in level 1 seats, block 125 (which is about as close to the stage as it was possible to be), row 7. This photo shows you our view and was taken without me zooming in.

590130594_d1a6c906eb_o.jpg

You can see how far from the stage (height-wise) the highest level (level 5) is. If your seats are further round the stadium then of course the distance will increase.

Again, a photo I took with no zoom..

589885587_072bdab852_z.jpg?zz=1

A photo I took with maximum zoom (10x optical zoom). At this time I has the very first in the TZ series, the TZ1. The TZ1 has a 10x optical zoom.

589890525_8eece77515_z.jpg?zz=1

It's not all that clear because your average compact camera struggles on maximum zoom in the dark and if you use digital zoom the photos will be even less clear.

Hope that gives you some idea what to expect.

Depends how much you film... I have used it to film and takes pictures at gigs before and never ran out of battery. Of course I don't film the whole gig!

Well I did, or at least I tried to film the whole gig... zooming was a bit difficult in the dark and my arms were getting heavier and heavier and above all it was incredibly hard to stand still, but yet, I'm soooo happy now that I've got at least 3 quarters of a whole gig filmed exactly from where I was standing:)

I've had this at every gig I've been to but then I do a lot of filming. Not the whole gig by any means but maybe a couple of entire sings then bits and pieces of lots of songs.

I bought a spare battery (which I've had to use at every gig) at the same time I bought the camera as I'd already read lots of reviews in which poor battery life were mentioned so I was forewarned before purchase:)

I guess I will have to do that too, but I'll only be sitting at level 5 in Wembley :(:(, so maybe this time I won't film at all...

Well I did, or at least I tried to film the whole gig... zooming was a bit difficult in the dark and my arms were getting heavier and heavier and above all it was incredibly hard to stand still, but yet, I'm soooo happy now that I've got at least 3 quarters of a whole gig filmed exactly from where I was standing:)

You can't beat watching your own HD footage back as and when you wish after the event!:happy:

DO NOT BUY A CANON XS200IS, the audio performance is very very bad! See my video in youtube, I'm rickys87

Oh that is such a shame, I just watched one of your videos. I know just how it feels to have a fairly decent video only for it to be completely ruined by the audio:(

I took this using a Panasonic FZ18 (that's an old model, the newer FZs are far superior) in 2008. what a a song to be ruined too!:(:(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMOYrRJYNqg

This one is even worse!:stunned:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kF3h71Mq6U

If you enjoy filming gigs then it really is worth spending a bit extra and getting a good gig camera recommended by others. When I bought my FZ18 I don't think there were any compacts or bridge cameras around at the time which compare with the TZ7 I now own!

I also have the Lumix (called ZS3 in the US) and found it to be quite handy at the gigs I went to.

For the battery life, I found it to be very annoying at the beginning (brought the camera to disney world and treated it like my old camera and the battery was dead by lunchtime! :pope:) so I bought an extra one. I also changed the powersave settings and turned it off between uses. My old camera had better defaults set, plus a weaker LCD, so I wasn't used to having to care all that much.

With any camera, video will kill the battery quicker than just taking pics, as will a lot of zooming. And then, with the Lumix in particular, you have to be careful with the power settings and leaving it on.

If you're sitting high up in a stadium and want to be able to see the band in your pics, you're going to probably need zoom >10x. I had nosebleed seats behind the stage when muse opened for U2 and using my niece's 18x zoom camera I was able to get decent pics where you could actually see the band.

This isn't wembley, so of course it'll be different but if you want to get an idea of how far away things might be from the nosebleeds...

Here's an unzoomed panoramic pic to give an idea of where I was seated

picture.php?albumid=1494&pictureid=13986

Here's a zoomed pic at 18x

picture.php?albumid=1494&pictureid=14544

I also have the Lumix (called ZS3 in the US) and found it to be quite handy at the gigs I went to.

For the battery life, I found it to be very annoying at the beginning (brought the camera to disney world and treated it like my old camera and the battery was dead by lunchtime! :pope:) so I bought an extra one. I also changed the powersave settings and turned it off between uses. My old camera had better defaults set, plus a weaker LCD, so I wasn't used to having to care all that much.

With any camera, video will kill the battery quicker than just taking pics, as will a lot of zooming. And then, with the Lumix in particular, you have to be careful with the power settings and leaving it on.

If you're sitting high up in a stadium and want to be able to see the band in your pics, you're going to probably need zoom >10x. I had nosebleed seats behind the stage when muse opened for U2 and using my niece's 18x zoom camera I was able to get decent pics where you could actually see the band.

This isn't wembley, so of course it'll be different but if you want to get an idea of how far away things might be from the nosebleeds...

Here's an unzoomed panoramic pic to give an idea of where I was seated

picture.php?albumid=1494&pictureid=13986

Here's a zoomed pic at 18x

picture.php?albumid=1494&pictureid=14544

I loved having the 18x optical zoom on my FZ18! Videos taken away from the front also sounded fine on that camera, it was only those from near the front which had dreadful audio.

From the Royal Albert Hall taken with my old FZ18.

No zoom...

2408411853_ec8eb9de97_z.jpg?zz=1

18x optical zoom..

2409235016_f3b84b96c2_z.jpg?zz=1

As for 18x optical zoom from the barrier (V Festival 2008)...

2772320416_7f5f5f6c1e_z.jpg?zz=1

2771472887_fc2850490d_z.jpg?zz=1

.......this is why I'm very tempted by the newest FZ in the range (the FZ100k)! That has a 24x optical zoom! Can you imagine the photos you'd capture with that?!:eek:

So basically what we're all saying is buy a compact or bridge camera with the biggest optical (not digital) zoom you can afford and one which records video in HD and audio in stereo:)

I loved having the 18x optical zoom on my FZ18! Videos taken away from the front also sounded fine on that camera, it was only those from near the front which had dreadful audio.

From the Royal Albert Hall taken with my old FZ18.

No zoom...

2408411853_ec8eb9de97_z.jpg?zz=1

18x optical zoom..

2409235016_f3b84b96c2_z.jpg?zz=1

As for 18x optical zoom from the barrier (V Festival 2008)...

2772320416_7f5f5f6c1e_z.jpg?zz=1

2771472887_fc2850490d_z.jpg?zz=1

.......this is why I'm very tempted by the newest FZ in the range (the FZ100k)! That has a 24x optical zoom! Can you imagine the photos you'd capture with that?!:eek:

So basically what we're all saying is buy a compact or bridge camera with the biggest optical (not digital) zoom you can afford and one which records video in HD and audio in stereo:)

Those are all great pics :D It's really so true about getting as big of a zoom as possible. I really love it, I don't think I could live without it at this point :$

The main thing that makes the ZS3 so great is it's size - the Olympus UZ ones are monsters (and I went to the U2 show carrying two of them :LOL:), and if I remember the FZ ones are the same? I can't wait until they figure out how to design it to allow even bigger zoom/better lenses in the smaller cameras :yesey:

For audio, I didn't have any trouble with it on my niece's camera (An Olympus UltraZoom) although I seem to have had some problems with my camera (same camera but an older version with lower zoom) I haven't listened to all the vids, but it sounds muffled - it could be that my mom had her hand blocking the mic though ;)

The video quality of the ZS2 is amazing, though... I still can't believe how crisp and clear my Helsinki Jam video from MSG was!

Wow, Ducky and Pip, those zoomed pictures are amazing! I wish I'd had my Lumix when I saw them open for U2. Still would've just been pics of their butts, though. :facepalm: Well... :eyebrows:

And a note about battery.... I took about 200 pics at one gig, using flash a lot of the time, and didn't seem to wear the battery down much at all. I know that if you take video that's mostly what does it. But if anyone is not planning on taking a lot of video, I don't think the battery should be much concern. This is just my experience though. Compared to my previous Canon, the battery life seem a lot better.

Wow, Ducky and Pip, those zoomed pictures are amazing! I wish I'd had my Lumix when I saw them open for U2. Still would've just been pics of their butts, though. :facepalm: Well... :eyebrows:

Have you looked at my pics from the U2 show....? :eyebrows:

:p

And a note about battery.... I took about 200 pics at one gig, using flash a lot of the time, and didn't seem to wear the battery down much at all. I know that if you take video that's mostly what does it. But if anyone is not planning on taking a lot of video, I don't think the battery should be much concern. This is just my experience though. Compared to my previous Canon, the battery life seem a lot better.

Yeah, I think a lot of it has to do with what you use the camera for and what you're used to :yesey: I was used to a camera with a really great battery life that I rarely had to worry about, so this one required me to change my habits.

That said, it didn't do all too bad at the gigs, I had one battery in all day and then put in the unused battery right before muse and it was fine, even with me taking a couple of vids at the one show. My disney experience kinda scared me, though, so I was glad to have the backup :)

One recommendation for anyone looking to buy a new camera - try to get it a bit in advance so you can play with it and get used to it before going to the show. If I hadn't had mine earlier, I don't think the battery would have made it to the second song with how I had been using it initially... :noey:

Oh it's definitely the videoing and zooming in and out which kills my battery. Also, my camera is switched on and off dozens of times during the course of a gig which also uses battery power.

You guys are killing me!! I want the Lumix sooooo bad now :mad::(

Amazon doesn´t send cameras to Iceland, only books and cd´s :wtf:

I´m gonna talk to my mom about it though, maybe she will be unterstanding about the importance of taking a great photo of Matt :p

Lumix TZ10 (the tz9 is not sold here) costs around 740 dollars here!!!!! :mad:

Why does it say "cheddar 100" on the top ? :stunned::LOL::D

Oh, Pip, what GREAT pictures!!!!!!!!!

Anyone here by chance who can tell me if taking pictures at Wembley from level 5 row 19 (:() will make sense with an optical 12x zoom??

And, as I'm always scared that I won't be allowed to take my camera in (paranoia is in bloom): Has anyone ever had bad experiences about security people taking cameras (small digital cameras) away ad the entrance? Did you get them back?:stunned: My worst experience in this has been in France (but fortunately they just took my mini-umbrella;)) whereas in Italy there have been NO security checks at all.

Oh, Pip, what GREAT pictures!!!!!!!!!

Anyone here by chance who can tell me if taking pictures at Wembley from level 5 row 19 (:() will make sense with an optical 12x zoom??

And, as I'm always scared that I won't be allowed to take my camera in (paranoia is in bloom): Has anyone ever had bad experiences about security people taking cameras (small digital cameras) away ad the entrance? Did you get them back?:stunned: My worst experience in this has been in France (but fortunately they just took my mini-umbrella;)) whereas in Italy there have been NO security checks at all.

Well it depends how far round the stadium you are but even if you're opposite the stage at the back of the stadium with 12x optical zoom you'll still get some decent stage shots and shots of the band on the screens.

You'll be fine with a compact and probably a bridge camera at Wembley;)

You guys are killing me!! I want the Lumix sooooo bad now :mad::(

Amazon doesn´t send cameras to Iceland, only books and cd´s :wtf:

I´m gonna talk to my mom about it though, maybe she will be unterstanding about the importance of taking a great photo of Matt :p

Lumix TZ10 (the tz9 is not sold here) costs around 740 dollars here!!!!! :mad:

Maybe you can look into getting a TZ3? They're a lot cheaper and still have the 12X zoom. That's what I have and it's amazing! It takes video, but the TZ7+ are capable of HD video. I think that, and the size of the LED screen are the main differences. Not sure what they've added with the TZ10. Anyway, just a thought.

Why does it say "cheddar 100" on the top ? :stunned::LOL::D

:chuckle:

Archived