Black Holes & Revelations - A Concept Album?

5clone

Concept albums are only so if they're written to be a concept album.

I think it's difficult to apply that logic retrospectively to an album, or to an album that simply features a prominent theme. Muse have never produced a true concept album, thematically or musically.

But the two recent albums do have interpretations that can make them look like concept albums.

While it's clear that there's definately an underlying "theme" in BH&R, I agree with others who've said that you can't really classify it as a "concept album" because #1, there isn't really any well-defined, coherent story and #2, there hasn't been any indication that it was intentionally written that way (which, as Clunge pointed out, is necessary for something to truly be considered a concept album).

Same thing with TR -- it's just a general theme that carries the album, not an actual story arc (although I do like your explanatin, They! Very interesting to think of!)

The only Muse songs that you can definitavely say tell a story are the 3 Exogenesis songs.

But the two recent albums do have interpretations that can make them look like concept albums.

You could do the same with a lot of albums.

If you want to see it as a concept album, that's completely cool by the way.

While it's clear that there's definately an underlying "theme" in BH&R, I agree with others who've said that you can't really classify it as a "concept album" because #1, there isn't really any well-defined, coherent story and #2, there hasn't been any indication that it was intentionally written that way (which, as Clunge pointed out, is necessary for something to truly be considered a concept album).

Same thing with TR -- it's just a general theme that carries the album, not an actual story arc (although I do like your explanatin, They! Very interesting to think of!)

The only Muse songs that you can definitavely say tell a story are the 3 Exogenesis songs.

But I think they can be interpreted that way, but really it's the Artist's opinion really. But we want to make our own decisions.

No, I don't think we can look at it as a concept album. There is a general theme I guess, I think it is an expression of a few visions Bellamy has because of the books he reads and his thoughts. You can see bits and pieces of all those thoughts all over the album but it is not a concept album.

The resistance works pretty well as a concept album.

1) The big brother government takes over / battles start in Uprising.

2) It continues and worsens in Resistance, two people find love amidst all the chaos

3) Develop their love In Undisclosed Desires.

4) USoE has the conflict going global, the lovers are seperated and or captured

5) Guiding Light is one or both declaring love after being seperated presumably thinking they face death.

6) Unnatural Selection sees one nation come out strong, but everyone else has nothing left after the war / conflict / event.

7) MK Ultra has the nation employing sinister methods to ensure this never happens again, regardless of morality.

8) I Belong to You has the two finally reconcile after surviving it all.

9) Exogenesis can either be its own seperate story or a continuation that the world does finally fall due to mankind's influence.

Or at least that's how I envision it

you could pull any muse album together like that though, you're grasping onto weak facts about each song. doesn't make it a concept album.

No, I don't think we can look at it as a concept album. There is a general theme I guess, I think it is an expression of a few visions Bellamy has because of the books he reads and his thoughts. You can see bits and pieces of all those thoughts all over the album but it is not a concept album.

I actually agree with you:)

Also don't see how it can be a concept album. There are too many contradictions and ambiguities as opposed to The Resistance for exapmle, which is much more about a story (as was nicely interpreted by They), still not a concept album as well;)

But still, if someone wants to see it that way - fine.

As for me, I don't think Muse actually made a concept album ever.

To me, Muse's lyrics do mean something to me. But that's because Matt is so deeply fascinated with his subjects that appear in his lyrics. I love to hear when people are really intrigued for something to tell. That's why it means something to me.

And to get back to the topic:

Muse's lyrics have nothing to do with each other, they just happen to be within the same subject, due to Matt's fascination with space, apocalypse and stuff.

And so I conclude; BH&R isn't a concept album. :)

The resistance works pretty well as a concept album.

1) The big brother government takes over / battles start in Uprising.

2) It continues and worsens in Resistance, two people find love amidst all the chaos

3) Develop their love In Undisclosed Desires.

4) USoE has the conflict going global, the lovers are seperated and or captured

5) Guiding Light is one or both declaring love after being seperated presumably thinking they face death.

6) Unnatural Selection sees one nation come out strong, but everyone else has nothing left after the war / conflict / event.

7) MK Ultra has the nation employing sinister methods to ensure this never happens again, regardless of morality.

8) I Belong to You has the two finally reconcile after surviving it all.

9) Exogenesis can either be its own seperate story or a continuation that the world does finally fall due to mankind's influence.

Or at least that's how I envision it

Fail. I agree with Gareeh. "Or at least that's how I envision it" Hmm... seems like it isn't much of a concept after all. It's merely your understanding of that album. Unless Muse specifically state that this Album is a concept album, it isn't. Their interpretation of the album is worth more than our wild guesses and failed conclusions.

i dont think BHAR is a concept album personally, but i can see how someone could perceive it as such

Take a Bow- sets the scene (bad government and people controlling, lying to their people)

Starlight- A soldier, far from home (to stop said bad people^) missing his love

SMBH- Big things going on (such as "glaciers melting") but soldiers (superstars :LOL:) are just becoming insignificant ("sucked into the supermassive") cuz of no results

MOTP- worlds in a bad place, so many things wrong, all these problems mapped out (what the Map of the Problematique is) and no way to fix them and in spite of this, the soldiers can only think of how lonely they are

soldiers poem- Soldier's anger and defiance towards own gov.

Invincible-soldier's lover.... everythings okay

assassin- need to get this war over by killing corrupt leaders

exo- our leaders are corrupt, they want us to do their bidding without reward or reprieve...they might as well be the Zetas (aka other corrupt world leaders)

CoD- WE live in a city of delusion, because we dont see just how corrupt our leaders are

Hoodoo-the hopelessness of the situation is too much, the world can no longer be saved, but we can save each other (or I can save YOU)

KoC-the fire is back, now that we are rejuvinated with love and we deserve to WIN!

:LOL: dont take all that seriously, thats just my view on how this album can be seen as a concept album but very loosely

Archived