Marvin the Buchla

Beddo

We have also obtained a Buchla. Our very own Marvin sat in the corner depressed too complex to be fun and too unreliable to be a friend. It may have been close to getting blood from a stone but in the end we did get some earnest synth dreams out of him.

splash.jpg

That throws a bit of light on that quote - at least it did for me...

Buchla Website

Oh Jeez - i don't really like to venture on to main Muse - it's so har to keep up with all the posts so I just leave and stay out of it for a while :$ - anyway I think this counts as kit and tab. So this is for all the kit and tab only peeps ;)

Oh Jeez - i don't really like to venture on to main Muse - it's so har to keep up with all the posts so I just leave and stay out of it for a while :$ - anyway I think this counts as kit and tab. So this is for all the kit and tab only peeps ;)

I concur.

That synth looks awesome. Matt Bellamy has the potential to become the new Jonny Greenwood with that thing.

I think the patch leeds route the sound through different synth effects but that is only a guess. I'm not sure. I think there is abasic input sound which is changed as you put it through more and more effects like oscillators, envelopes, filters, sequencers etc. etc.

In fact wikipedia explains it better!

Wiki: Modular Synths

2 x 12 Powered Cabinets

1 x Control and Signal Router

2 x MIDI Decoder/Preset Managers

1 x System Interface (2 Panel Units)

1 x Dual Arbitrary Function Generator (2 Panel Units)

1 x Arbitrary Function Generator (2 Panel Units)

1 x Quad Control Voltage Processor

3 x Complex Waveform Generators

1 x Duophonic Pitch Class Generator

3 x Complex Waveform Generators

1 x Source of Uncertainty :eek:

2 x Quad Function Generators

2 x Triple Morphing filters

2 x Quad Dynamics Managers

... wait for it ...

System price ...

$27,400!!!

and one of them is a "Source of Uncertainty"!!!

That costs $850 on it's own!

Just so there's no confusion, the Buchla is not called Marvin. It's a modular system designed by Ron Buchla, (The real father of modern synthesisers).

If anybody reads sound on sound there was a review of one of the systems a few months ago.

It's the nick-name that Matt gave the Buchla in his little message in main muse, though. AS its caused him to think of Marvin from the Hitchhikers Guide.

It's the nick-name that Matt gave the Buchla in his little message in main muse, though. AS its caused him to think of Marvin from the Hitchhikers Guide.

Espcially with that "source of uncertainty" thingy. Reminds me of the infinite improbability drive. Not that that has anything to do with Marvin, but with the Hitchhiker in general.

Espcially with that "source of uncertainty" thingy. Reminds me of the infinite improbability drive. Not that that has anything to do with Marvin, but with the Hitchhiker in general.

What is a Source of Uncertainty anyway?

What is a Source of Uncertainty anyway?

I don't know exactly. I watched some video of a guy explaining the various functions of the latest Buchla and apparently you can have the Buchla do this one kind of thing and control the certainty of the machine doing it. Sorry if that sounded terribly vague, but I can't remember at all what that man was talking about.

I don't know exactly. I watched some video of a guy explaining the various functions of the latest Buchla and apparently you can have the Buchla do this one kind of thing and control the certainty of the machine doing it. Sorry if that sounded terribly vague, but I can't remember at all what that man was talking about.

Umm, yeah. That did not help one bit. Lol.

Hmm, how does this work for an analogy: The Source of Uncertatinty is like getting Media Player, and putting it on random. Cept the effects are the songs and you can change the likelyhood of a "song" being played?

Umm, yeah. That did not help one bit. Lol.

Hmm, how does this work for an analogy: The Source of Uncertatinty is like getting Media Player, and putting it on random. Cept the effects are the songs and you can change the likelyhood of a "song" being played?

That comes close, I think.

Let me find the video, that'll be much easier than me trying to explain it again. ;) I guess I might JUST be able to describe it in German. :LOL:

edit: http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=1959

That comes close, I think.

Let me find the video, that'll be much easier than me trying to explain it again. ;) I guess I might JUST be able to describe it in German. :LOL:

edit: http://www.sonicstate.com/news/shownews.cfm?newsid=1959

in the video, the guy mentions something about MARFG (Multiple Arbitrary Function Generator)...maybe it sounds stupid but can you see the link with marvin? :D

:$ I wish I could work one of those things/afford one of those things - i wonder how it sounds on the album???

Its probably not hard to work. Plug in the chords to the different slots. Turn on. Pretty easy.

Getting a sound thats actually useable, though, may prove harder.

• 2 years later...
I know this has possibly been already asked, but I couldn't find any mention of it in this forum so I decided to ask it..

But what is that thing that Dom has beside his drum kit? He's seen using it in Take a Bow on HAARP. Does anyone know what it is or what it's used for?

synth

Archived