Yay more Phoenix Foundation tickets for February. I am going to see them now. :happy:

Taking my Italian friend, slowly integrating her into the kiwi scene. At my birthday it was kiwi themed and she was the only one there who wasn't from NZ. She got quite the education.

Excellent! I'm looking forward to seeing them at BDO.

I just endured a bit of a giggling fit at work. I'm working on a movie that has lots of posh British secret servicey guys, and one of them just called a woman a conniving cunt. :LOL:

I replayed it several times. It's quite glorious.

Nice! :LOL: What was the movie?

Muse are horrible! Apparently the tickets to the first night in Brisbane went on sale first, and they got a pretty shit setlist. The second show has so far featured MK Ultra and Butterflies & Hurricanes. That's so unfair on the fans who rushed to buy first night tickets.

Edit: And now Sunburn, apparently. I don't blame anyone who went on the first night bearing a grudge.

Damn, Sunburn and Bliss. That would have been sweet. Maybe it was a good thing they didn't come back here then because if they gave us a setlist without any goodies I'd be furious :LOL:

Nice! :LOL: What was the movie?

It was called The Bank Job. Quite entertaining, actually. Coming up next Monday night.

Maybe it was a good thing they didn't come back here then because if they gave us a setlist without any goodies I'd be furious :LOL:

Haha, true.

I'm guessing the reason they didn't come is that they wouldn't have been able to bring the towers stage over because of the costs and everything involved in bringing them across the Tasman for just one or maybe two shows - it's sad that they're too scared now to do an arena show without all the fancy visuals. In 2004 they just had the Absolution falling men background and they were amazing, and they hardly had all the bells and whistles in 2007 either.

It was called The Bank Job. Quite entertaining, actually. Coming up next Monday night.

Oh awesome, sounds good.

Haha, true.

I'm guessing the reason they didn't come is that they wouldn't have been able to bring the towers stage over because of the costs and everything involved in bringing them across the Tasman for just one or maybe two shows - it's sad that they're too scared now to do an arena show without all the fancy visuals. In 2004 they just had the Absolution falling men background and they were amazing, and they hardly had all the bells and whistles in 2007 either.

Yeah they could have easily just brought over a few bits and pieces (or even nothing!) for a simple show again, but I guess Warner said no or Muse think we are more interested in the pretty lights than the music :rolleyes:

Scary stuff from John Key with the changes to security surveillance laws. People can make submissions, but the whole process is going to be behind closed doors "for reasons I don't want to go into." :unsure:
And he's getting away with it because of the world cup.

I wrote him off as minister of tourism, but this is actually getting quite sinister.

Guest hysteriaaah
Muse are horrible! Apparently the tickets to the first night in Brisbane went on sale first, and they got a pretty shit setlist. The second show has so far featured MK Ultra and Butterflies & Hurricanes. That's so unfair on the fans who rushed to buy first night tickets.

Edit: And now Sunburn, apparently. I don't blame anyone who went on the first night bearing a grudge.

WHAT. wait, so thats mk, butterflies,sunburn,CE....holy shit it must be exploding in the aussie boards over there. i don't dare venture.:stunned: wth! they've never done this before.

still wish they came here though. for months i thought they'd come eventually, but i'm being a realist now. maybe if cost and shipping is a problem, they could just and play a standard show. No glitz, no glamour; just muse.:D but i guess it aint like that anymore....

This is something special. :chuckle:

:chuckle:

Sorry if you guys are growing tired of my TNAF raving, but I just think this song is too lovely not to share.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akkph1cJbO0

Nice.

I'm into Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds at the moment. Quite like this song and it has been stuck in my head a lot lately.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZgIliykTFw

I'm in favour of us becoming a republic, actually - as long as we get to vote for our head of state (which was the thing Australia fucked up in their proposed republic). I just don't think the British royal family is relevant to us in this part of the world anymore, and I'd like to have a head of state that actually lives here and gives a shit about us.

But John was so starstruck when he got to meet the Queen that he's ruled it out for as long as he's PM, so that's that.

Because we're trying to be Australia?

:noey: we'll never be Australia. We're just not big enough and we don't have enough people.

I'm in favour of us becoming a republic, actually - as long as we get to vote for our head of state (which was the thing Australia fucked up in their proposed republic). I just don't think the British royal family is relevant to us in this part of the world anymore, and I'd like to have a head of state that actually lives here and gives a shit about us.

But John was so starstruck when he got to meet the Queen that he's ruled it out for as long as he's PM, so that's that.

Well, the royal family is relevant to no-one anymore, really. Their lives are thrown all over the magazines, they want to put William and Kate's wedding in 3D, ffs. Okay, for that reason, yeah, break away from them, the royal family lost any kind of power when Diana died. Now it's all just about the publicity for them :noey:

I just don't like the idea of being a republic because we don't need to be that way. Although the queen is simply just a figurehead these days, at least we know if we screwed up anywhere, the UK would be right there to save us. If we became a republic, they'd still do the same just because it's right to do, but they wouldn't have any kind of obligation to do so. Under the Commonwealth, we're basically safe, no matter what.

I don't like that we'd be vulnerable, basically. At least it'll never happen :yesey: well, not any time soon, anyway.

That's fair enough.

But the Commonwealth, to me, is such a random collection of countries that no longer have very much at all in common. I think the days in which we refer to the UK as "the home country" are long gone. The only thing I like about the Commonwealth is our increased medal tally in the Commonwealth Games!

I'm more interested in strengthening regional relationships. If we did ever need saving, we'd have a bit of a wait if we were relying on the UK.

That's fair enough.

But the Commonwealth, to me, is such a random collection of countries that no longer have very much at all in common. I think the days in which we refer to the UK as "the home country" are long gone. The only thing I like about the Commonwealth is our increased medal tally in the Commonwealth Games!

I'm more interested in strengthening regional relationships. If we did ever need saving, we'd have a bit of a wait if we were relying on the UK.

It is a bit, but it's just a safety net, really. The Commonwealth, United Nations, League of Nations, European Union, so on, so forth, they all were/are just a collection of countries that, at the end of the day, would always 'be there' for each other. UN and LoN, not so much (seeing they've failed so many times), but it's just that extra safety net. We'll probably never need them, but it's always nice to have the option.

That's true. At least our country isn't in too much debt yet. I think we're lucky that we're so small for that reason - there's not enough money here for other countries to borrow, and our economy appears to be coping at the moment (for all I know, we could be in enormous debt and our economy could be collapsing like crazy) so we don't need to borrow.

This is why I never took economics or politics. Waaaaay over my head... I leave it to people like you and Jo who know a hell of a lot more about it than I do :LOL:

Guest hysteriaaah

no one seems to have the guts to leave the commonwealth.

maybe the queen will turn into a lizard and eat you if you do.