Music with a Macbook

Davy

Messed around with Garageband before, but feel like its time to actually get a midi controller and perhaps a few new programs, e.g. Logic, Ableton, etc.

Anybody got any advice, midi hardware & software recommendations at all?

Cheers

Messed around with Garageband before, but feel like its time to actually get a midi controller and perhaps a few new programs, e.g. Logic, Ableton, etc.

Anybody got any advice, midi hardware & software recommendations at all?

Cheers

depends what kind of music you want to make, but ableton is usually a good start for electronic music.

if you want to geek out into electronic music, maybe pick up puredata (free) and a monome (controller). if that floats your boat, invest in max/msp. supercollider is very good if you're apt at programming too.

otherwise, if you wish to use it as a tape deck (normal recording style) i reccomend cubase, as that's what im used to... though cubase, logic and protools are the main 3. theres also digital performer and sonar.

other hardware that might float your boat is the behringer bfc2000 powered fader mixing interface. i also recommend the m-audio axiom midi keyboards

OK, so basically I'm a computer n00b but I know some of you guys can help me here.

Basically I want to know if a G4 Mac with these specs will be able to run DAW programs and such smoothly:

Running 10.5

Hard Drive: 40GB

Processor 933GHz

CPU Type: PowerPC G4

Memory 640MB

CD: Write - -R, -RW

Reads dvd: Yes

Wireless Card: Yes

Go!

OK, so basically I'm a computer n00b but I know some of you guys can help me here.

Basically I want to know if a G4 Mac with these specs will be able to run DAW programs and such smoothly:

Running 10.5

Processor 933GHz

Memory 640MB

Go!

looking at my cubase 4 essential box, you could run that yeah.

cubase 4 needs a G4 at 1ghz - essentially what you have - 512mb of ram, and OSX 10.4 upwards.

depends what kind of music you want to make, but ableton is usually a good start for electronic music.

if you want to geek out into electronic music, maybe pick up puredata (free) and a monome (controller). if that floats your boat, invest in max/msp. supercollider is very good if you're apt at programming too.

otherwise, if you wish to use it as a tape deck (normal recording style) i reccomend cubase, as that's what im used to... though cubase, logic and protools are the main 3. theres also digital performer and sonar.

other hardware that might float your boat is the behringer bfc2000 powered fader mixing interface. i also recommend the m-audio axiom midi keyboards

Whats so good about a monome? But yeah those programming languages seem alright. I've been doing Java for a while now, so could get into it fine. Will have to look into it more.

I've seen the bfc2000 around before and thought it looked good for its price.

Whats so good about a monome? But yeah those programming languages seem alright. I've been doing Java for a while now, so could get into it fine. Will have to look into it more.

I've seen the bfc2000 around before and thought it looked good for its price.

the monome is just a really fun interface to use with max/msp and such for writing sequencers and stuff.

i definitely reccomend trying out max then... if you go to the cycling 74 website, you can download a month long free trial. if you're a student you can get a 9 month license for about $60 i think.

if you do decide to download the max/msp trial, i reccomend you follow some of the examples in the help files... theyre the best help files ive ever seen in any program and really lead you through the learning process.

ive made synths in max, sequencers, loop playback and mashing tools, delay effects, guitar random stutter effects.. am currently working on a weighted probability based generative patch to create music (not pop music, more atmospheric pads and electronic stuff) by itself, with the user just changing parameters like randomness and overall speed.

id reccomend getting into it if you think in a programming kinda way, and dont mind a bit of signal flow to keep in your mind.

Running 10.5

Processor 933GHz

Memory 640MB

Go!

Quite simply, no.

New Macs though are very good at running DAW's. Getting myself a Macbook soon :facepalm:

good plan.. as i said its always giving the max/msp free trial a go when you have spare time

Definitely. Sound pretty interesting indeed.

Quite simply, no.

New Macs though are very good at running DAW's. Getting myself a Macbook soon :facepalm:

Why the facepalm? Will be one of your best purchases ever

I'm more worried about how I break it to my mate Dave :( We were united against all our mates and their fucking macs

boo hoo :p

i wasnt keen either until i started working at pc world, spending every day for 6 months with the fuckers, they kind of grow on you:p

but im glad i got mine, i fucking love this lil bugger. planning my next one already for when i move to wales in 2 years, haha

You're the 4th person I know who has said boo to macs and then goes and gets one.

They just pwn Windows end of.

It's so I can have Logic as the majority of people I deal with use that. I'll still be using my PC for the majority of what I do as 90% of what I use is Windows only ;)

It's so I can have Logic as the majority of people I deal with use that. I'll still be using my PC for the majority of what I do as 90% of what I use is Windows only ;)

Yeah. I have Parallels on mine and use Windows for like TextPad and stuff like that. The joys

• 1 year later...

Archived