Thanks everyone for joining!!!

treee

• 2 weeks later...

Look! Don't forget we're atheists based on our own set of beliefs. If we're going to go around shoving our beliefs down people's throats like some religous groups, then we'll be just as bad. However, it's always worth for people (esp children) to hear both creationism theory and the logic and realism behind athiesm. Let them make their own choice :D

You're absolutely right mrs_bellamy! I don't think atheists should shove anything. We don't have a dogma & it's not a religion. According to my mum I decided I was an atheist when I was 7. I never felt there was any reason to share that with other people. The only reason I am outspoken now is because I discovered recently that my non-atheist friends are more intolerant than I realised. Apparently it's ok to say stupid, belittling stuff to an atheist like “I can't believe you don't believe there is something higher than you, you arrogant, disrespectful know-it-all!”. I agree with Dawkins about atheists being visible. Maybe if more atheists put their hands up people will see we are not immoral demons with tails growing out of our backsides. But I don't agree with him on the militant stamping out of religion. That is naïve. I prefer Michael Shermer's more tolerant stance. Creating an understanding about atheism is not the same as converting people to it.

Bloody hell. I can't believe there is a Flat Earth Society. It's a joke right? No one can be this stupid surely.

The last president of the Flat Earth Society, Charles K Johnson spent years examining the studies of flat & round earth theories & proposed "The idea of a spinning globe is only a conspiracy of error…" His article was published in the magazine Science Digest, 1980. It goes on to state, "If it is a sphere, the surface of a large body of water must be curved. The Johnsons have checked the surfaces of Lake Tahoe & the Salton Sea without detecting any curvature."

Fantastic. How did they check? In a dingy? That makes as much sense as proposing sellotape is holding all the water to the surface of the earth! … Didn't this guy ever look at the horizon? His ideas are so stupid it's worth reading the original story.

http://www.lhup.edu/~dsimanek/fe-scidi.htm

You know, I bet the moon is just a cardboard circle hanging a mile away by fishing wire...

my grandfather thinks (i know this is weird) that istead of a sperm going into an egg god touches the women when the man and woman are having sex!!! then he said "im educated about this i know more then you because i go to the liberry" yes he did say liberry!!! i thought that was funny that he said he was educated because he cant even say liberry right!!!LOL

Well I found out recently my father thinks that the reason NZ has flightless birds is because aliens put them there!!! I thought he was pulling my leg but I think he might actually think that. Even when I asked him what he thought seemed more probable – that lack of predators on the island might have had an evolutionary influence over a long period of time or that some grey guys decided to travel light years away to dump a bunch of oddball looking birds here for no apparent reason whatsoever. And he also thinks Einstein got his ideas from aliens. WTF! What the hell is so odd about having a brain and using it? Einstein is not THAT strange. :stunned:

That Flat Earth thing is hilarious. I found a book on it by Christine Garwood in the “liberry”. Might have to read up on it and do a blog. (I used to say “liberry” actually, and “Feb-u-erry” until I started learning German)

I used to get really frustrated with people who wouldn't just SEE how simple it is not to have any supernatural and even just spiritual beliefs, but now I just let people believe what they want without trying to sway them. mrs_bellamy is right, that is exactly what I've always kept in mind when I realized I was an Atheist. Shoving your beliefs down the throats of others is just as bad as religious loonies. That's why I'm always reluctant to tell people I'm an Atheist, because I'm afraid they'll assume I'm out to destroy their beliefs, which I'm not.

And tbh, we all know that no one ever succeeds when it comes to religious debates; all you accomplish is driving a wedge between yourself and people you love despite your differences.

Still, I find it a little disappointing all the same that religious discussions are thought of as something taboo because that means that the only time people get to have proper debates is between academics. And it means that people don't talk to or understand each other. Yet some of the philosophical questions that can be asked are really thought provoking and interesting. I think it can be fun trying to answer them. I don't find that being atheist diminishes my curiousity in any way about other people's religious views or makes me less interested in the answers to questions normally tackled by religion. Some of the better philosophical discussions I've had have been with religious people. And just because my stance is atheistic now doesn't mean I wouldn't change my mind if someone presented a convincing argument for a belief in god. I think it's a good idea to question your own beliefs occasionally anyway in case they are false. I do anyway. :p

Me! I still say “libry” & “Febry” (instead of library & February). That's because I learned to say them incorrectly when I was about 3 & never realised until much later. I also mispronounce my own name for the same reason! My parents have a recording of me gabbling ad infinitum when I was 3 which is quite cute. That's got a few funny things like that in it. My Mum told me last night I haven't changed one bit. I still ramble an incoherent load of garbage they can't understand ha ha! I might stick it on my myspace for a laugh. I call my uncle “Aunty John” in it. I actually remember making the recording too because I was obsessed with sound engineering stuff even then. My Dad gave me the machine we made it on later when I was 5. :p

I say it the English way too. But I read so much that now I get American English and English English confused. Add to that that I also programme (which tends to use American words like “color” and “center”) and I am ½ fluent in German. So I have no idea what I am saying any more! I use the English English dictionary to spell check though since NZ English is pretty much the same.

Do you have American Mum, English Dad? Which country were you born in? I was born in NZ but I don't really think of myself as a NZder much – or anything else.

I found some interesting "atheist" stuff earlier I might have to post here later.

american mother, english father. i was born in america. mesa, arizona. i HATE the heat and the sun. (i only like the sun when im going to be swimming at the beach or an outdoor party) i love the darkness, part of my atheism, more or less the cloudy days and the rain i prefer night over the day. theres my englishness for you!!!:D