What if young Muse sang newer Muse songs?

I'm curious, but what would an Showbiz/OoS-era Muse sound like if they were to take a time machine to the future and try to sing their own discography in recent times. What would their musicianship be like? Would Matt be hitting these notes easily? Would the instrumentals sound more raw? How would Matt make use of his signature "fast vibratos and falsettos" style from the Showbiz/OoS era in some of his more modern music? Imagine a Showbiz/OoS Muse attempting to sing:

Aftermath (Drones, 2015)

The Globalist (Drones, 2015)

Dead Inside (Drones, 2015)

Madness (2nd Law, 2012)

Exogenesis Symphony Part 1 - Overture (The Resistance, 2009)

Discuss any recent tracks actually if it was young Muse singing it. However, please share what you think they would sound like if they sang some of the songs I listed above too. I know Aftermath and Dead Inside would be vocally very demanding and I wonder if a young Showbiz/OoS Matt would be able to hit all the hard notes in Aftermath and Dead Inside (without short cutting the vocally demanding parts)

Aftermath was never even sang live, even though I love this song. I know Matt would probably struggle singing this song today, I sing this song myself and it's pretty difficult. I'm a decent Muse cover singer. So I wonder what a OoS Muse would sound like if they were fortunate enough to show us something fantasy-ish like.

Does he really need to?

yeah!! sure why not? :D I mean, we are talking about a dream matchup here, so we can stretch the realm of fantasies and what ifs a bit. it is undeniable that Matt's voice and singing style is dramatically different from 2000-2002 and compared to 2012-2015. Idk maybe it's just me but it would be interesting to imagine a Hullabaloo style influence on something like some of the songs from Drones. Not completely a drift away but just to imagine a young Matt singing something like Aftermath or The Globalist. would be interesting IMO. Young Matt is definitely much different from today's

He'd hit all the notes, it's just it would sound far more nasal. His voice sounds far nicer on record now than it did in the early '00s (although his Shrinking Universe-style falsettos were cool), so long as he isn't doing his hero vocals.

And yeah, OOS Muse would never have written anything as slushy as Aftermath

It's not just his singing style that's changed though. What would be more problematic is the the type of songs he nowadays writes vs. what he did back then.

Pretty much.

Without changing the songs themselves, the only songs I'd be interested in hearing Matt's younger vocals on would be The Handler, Animals, Reapers and maybe Mercy, weirdly enough. Other than that, the styles just don't mesh imo. Liquid State recorded in '02 with Matt singing could've been a banger though.

Pretty much.

Without changing the songs themselves, the only songs I'd be interested in hearing Matt's younger vocals on would be The Handler, Animals, Reapers and maybe Mercy, weirdly enough. Other than that, the styles just don't mesh imo. Liquid State recorded in '02 with Matt singing could've been a banger though.

Animals is pretty good as it is imo, but how I would love a less clean version of TH and Reapers both vocally and instrumentally.

Animals is pretty good as it is imo, but how I would love a less clean version of TH and Reapers both vocally and instrumentally.

Oh yeah no, Animals'd be the most minor change. It's just Matt used to have that raspy-but-floaty voice when he did quieter stuff (e.g. Screeny G, Darkshines verses) that I think would suit Animals well.

Imagine his Origin-era screams on the 'Leeeet me go' bit at the end of TH though :stongue:

how I would love a less clean version of TH and Reapers both vocally and instrumentally.

I agree, especially if there was a live and studio version of these with the more "rawness" of the style from the OoS days would potentially do such miracles for these tracks. I really feel like a young Matt would do it well. Especially since a lot of the music in Drones sounds very "synthetic" even the rock instruments... it would be interesting to hear these songs being played by the real instruments that they used to use.

Pretty much.

Gosh, I can totally imagine '02 Muse jamming something like Mercy. Since many Muse fans love "Bliss" from the Origins of Symmetry days, I'm sure it would sound a little bit like Bliss possibly. I used to love Bliss like 10+ years ago.

He'd hit all the notes, it's just it would sound far more nasal. His voice sounds far nicer on record now than it did in the early '00s (although his Shrinking Universe-style falsettos were cool), so long as he isn't doing his hero vocals.

And yeah, OOS Muse would never have written anything as slushy as Aftermath

I have a feeling he would hit all the notes too. Like Dead Inside, he wouldn't drift away too much during the epic singing part of Dead Inside (Only you can stop the paaaaain, don't LEEEEAVEEE ME OUT IN THE COLLLLLD) and I believe he'd actually sing it high and strong all the way through. Of course, he's older now, so watching his live performance you can hear him catching his breathe and sort of "short cutting" it. There would probably be a lot more vibratos and he would hold his notes way longer.

Aftermath is probably one of my favorite fluff songs on their discography, I love it more than Bliss. From a singer standpoint, that song is pretty hard to sing and quite vocally demanding at the end. I'd imagine a OoS Muse being able to do it live with ease.

What's hero vocals?