Thoughts on a custom MIDI controller

Royboy

Ok, without ranting too much here is the deal.

Keyboard MIDI controllers come in a few flavors, but none of them suit all of my needs. You could call me difficult, but I feel like there should be something that does suit my needs.

Generally the nice 88 key controllers with graded hammer action and aftertouch have NO additional knobs, faders, ribbons etc. I am talking about NICE ones, not the M-Audio keystation, yes I am aware it has a billion and a half MIDI encoders.

Then you have the super nice Novation type that have every button and knob known to man, but only come in non-weighted synth varieties.

Some might say get a piano-esque controller for Piano and a synth one for synth. Sorry, but I don't play that way :-p I gotta be difficult.

I currently play live with a Korg Triton ProX 88 key, through Logic's Mainstage.... thus I am not using the Triton for sounds at all, but its my only 88 key controller. I have done TONS of research looking for a new quality dedicated controller, and I thought I had settled on the CME VX8, until I read the reviews... boo.

Then I realized if I am spending in the $1,000 range I dont want to make exceptions and compromises, especially for a CONTROLLER!

Then I realized what I want is a custom MIDI controller. I demand quality and style. I want it sexy. It's not fair that you can buy a sub $500 guitar with an amazing finish and paint job, yet a TOP of the line keyboard still looks like a casio. The ONLY keyboards I have seen with ANY style are the Nords, but thats overkill for me as I only need it as a controller, not an analog synth.

I want something like this, only 88 keys:

L1020691.jpg

Furthermore, I want NICE MIDI knobs... again a top of the line controller still has cheapo knobs. I want custom guitar player knobs, is this so much to ask for? These for instance:

standard_speed_large.jpg

So a custom wooden body with holes drilled in the appropriate spots for knobs, probably no faders, but I would like a ribbon controller, and a joystick ala the triton, I am not a fan of pitch/mod wheels.

I want it to look as epic as the first pic, quality craftsmanship. Like this picture below, I like what they did. A fatar keybed built into a custom mixing desk. Obviously I dont want a desk, but its the idea, SOMEONE out there does custom work.

controller_example_casebolt_2.JPG

I know there are lots of custom guitar people here, can anyone help me. I am looking to spend between $3,000 and $5,000. Thoughts? Also I feel like this is an untapped market, and if someone saw something like what I am describing they might take off.

thanks for listening,

-Royboy

big pic fixed.

As for using a second controller on top of a hammer weighted one, I do that now... with an edirol pcr, I have considered a novation zero, a kenton killamix, and a few other knobby things but I still dont like the idea. Sure it works just fine, but this is just as much about style as it is functionality.

Am I totally alone in wanting a quality custom guitar-like finish on a professional keyboard? I am about ready to try and do it myself and sell the rights.

Yep yep indeed. Being a dream theater fan years ago I was always into the Triton/Trinity and the Kurzweil k2600.

A kurzweil is a quality keyboard with good construction and amazing sounds but I am at the point where I use Mainstage (logic) for 100% of everything, it allows me to automate patch changes and effects changing without learning a new system. All of my songs from logic sound EXACTLY the same live as they do in the studio which is super convenient.

In fact any of the next gen boards are pretty damn cool, the new Roland v-synth, korg oasys, and kurzweils are all pretty cool, but I realllllllly just want a controller, the Zen Riffer is the right idea, I just need it in 88 keys and not in keytar form.

I am beating a dead horse at this point but I feel like guitar and bass players have an infinite number of customization options at their fingertips, and even leaving that out of the equation you can buy a super cheap guitar or bass with a really nice finish whereas keyboards are all the same cheap plastic, MAYBE aluminum.

Generally the nice 88 key controllers with graded hammer action and aftertouch have NO additional knobs, faders, ribbons etc. I am talking about NICE ones, not the M-Audio keystation, yes I am aware it has a billion and a half MIDI encoders.

CME UF8???

UF8.jpg

dunno how many knobs and faders you're after, do believe there's a new model out now with even more knobs and stuff :)

For about a month I swore the CME UF8 and or the VX8 were the solution to my problems.

They both have more style than most keyboards and controllers, which was very nice, but I have heard they don't play too nicely with Macs, and being that they are Chinese made they have little documentation or customer support.

The UF8 has been discontinued, and the VX8 took its place, with motorized faders and a mackie u-control system for most DAWs which is pretty cool. However it has gotten terrible reviews, and is also not everything I am looking for.

Despite having more style than most, I am still not impressed, the LED readout may as well be from an alarm clock. It would fit MOST of my needs, and I am sure despite the bad reviews I could find a way to get it to work for me, but I realized that if I am spending near $1000 for a controller I dont want to make any exceptions, I may as well just use my existing setup which works.

There is a guy on Craigslist in my area selling a UF8 for $350 which is a great deal, I have considered using that to hold me over, but I don't want to give up hope on my dream. At this point I realize there is nothing out there that already works for me, so I want a custom solution. The real question is, will a custom guitar luthier make one for me... or at least the shell?

oh and as for the continuum, I want one of those too, but not for this, and its low on my list of toys ranking up there with a theremin, glass armonica, crotales, and other fun/rare instruments. One day after I have everything else I will have a collection of rare/unique instruments... but I just wanna start with a glossy wooden MIDI controller with a sunburst finish.

Thanks for the advice so far though.

oh and as for the continuum, I want one of those too, but not for this, and its low on my list of toys ranking up there with a theremin, glass armonica, crotales, and other fun/rare instruments. One day after I have everything else I will have a collection of rare/unique instruments... but I just wanna start with a glossy wooden MIDI controller with a sunburst finish.

Thanks for the advice so far though.

All you need to make a glass harmonica is a bunch of cups, a sink, and a tuner. I don't really see the attraction of making the enclosure look that nice; it's not a particularly interesting form to begin with, and it's not really an instrument that people look at that much during performances. I admit it would make it more fun to play and own though, but would that really be worth it?

Ok maybe I should just start over here.

I am looking to build or have someone build me a custom MIDI controller.

I have thought this out thoroughly. What I use for software works amazingly, better than any hardware synth/piano could ever imagine. Also, what I use for controller works as well. I don't mean to sound mean, but I am looking for advice on how to get a custom MIDI controller built, not advice on what I should be doing or using. What I have works, but I want a better controller, and I realize I will need a custom solution, and I will need to spend an arm and a leg.

With that in mind, just ignore the fact that I already have an 88 controller and a few other MIDI controllers. Let's assume I have nothing and I want a custom MIDI controller, in fact for the time being let's throw functionality right out the window. Lets say I am just a weird asshole who wants a piece of art MIDI controller, let's start there.

Now, can anyone help me?

Sorry for sounding like a dick, I guess it's just hard to convey to people what I want. Is anyone out there even somewhat remotely on the same page as me. Am I crazy for wanting this in 88 keys????

L1030147.jpg

With this selection of colors:

141_4174L.jpg

Ok maybe I should just start over here.

I am looking to build or have someone build me a custom MIDI controller.

I have thought this out thoroughly. What I use for software works amazingly, better than any hardware synth/piano could ever imagine. Also, what I use for controller works as well. I don't mean to sound mean, but I am looking for advice on how to get a custom MIDI controller built, not advice on what I should be doing or using. What I have works, but I want something better, and I realize I will need a custom solution, and I will need to spend an arm and a leg.

With that in mind, just ignore the fact that I already have an 88 controller and a few other MIDI controllers. Let's assume I have nothing and I want a custom MIDI controller, in fact for the time being let's through functionality right out the window. Lets say I am just a weird asshole who wants a piece of art MIDI controller, let's start there.

Now, can anyone help me?

Sorry for sounding like a dick, I guess it's just hard to convey to people what I want. Is anyone out there even somewhat remotely on the same page as me. Am I crazy for wanting this in 88 keys????

find out who builds them and email them to find out. pretty simple stuff, is it that hard, doesn't really require a thread does it?

i can't imagine the majority of people on here give a flying fuck about midi controllers to be honest.

I don't think that there are any people making a profession out of doing that, so I would just do it yourself. Seems like the easiest way would just be to buy separate gear that has all of the functionality you need, then take all of them out of the enclosures they have and build a new casing that will house all of it in a useful way, and then either paint it yourself or take it somewhere that will do something that looks nice. Or find a carpenter who's willing to do that sort of work. In any case, I don't think it would be practical to build the actual working components yourself, unless you're incredibly good at that sort of thing.

I don't think that there are any people making a profession out of doing that, so I would just do it yourself. Seems like the easiest way would just be to buy separate gear that has all of the functionality you need, then take all of them out of the enclosures they have and build a new casing that will house all of it in a useful way, and then either paint it yourself or take it somewhere that will do something that looks nice. Or find a carpenter who's willing to do that sort of work. In any case, I don't think it would be practical to build the actual working components yourself, unless you're incredibly good at that sort of thing.

That seems to be what I am finding out. It's not as simple as finding someone who makes them and emailing them, because for the most part they don't exist. I have enough spare MIDI controllers and parts to disassemble, and I have looked at buying a keybed from fatar, so finding parts and putting them together is far from impossible.

I guess the real question is who to go to for an enclosure, I don't trust myself enough with woodworking and or painting. I was hoping some custom guitar people here might be able to shed some light on the matter.

thanks,

-Royboy

That seems to be what I am finding out. It's not as simple as finding someone who makes them and emailing them, because for the most part they don't exist. I have enough spare MIDI controllers and parts to disassemble, and I have looked at buying a keybed from fatar, so finding parts and putting them together is far from impossible.

I guess the real question is who to go to for an enclosure, I don't trust myself enough with woodworking and or painting. I was hoping some custom guitar people here might be able to shed some light on the matter.

thanks,

-Royboy

I wouldn't go to a luthier, I'd look for a carpenter, as essentially what you need manufactured is a box with holes in it and stuff. Maybe take it to a luthier to get it painted and finished.

The pic I posted of the custom desk w/fatar keybed was from that site, I will likely order from them or take apart my existing controllers.

My only concern from building from scratch is plug and play. It's one thing to solder and wire pickups, and another to put in electronics that interface with a computer.

Will the CC's know enough to be mapped universally? as of now I can hook up just about any MIDI controller I own, move the mod wheel and Logic knows I am using CC #1.

I am not too worried about the sysex, so long as the controllers work I can assign them to anything within Logic/Mainstage, and I find that a lot easier than trying to wrap my head around sysex programming a hardware device.

So I have an Edirol PCR and an M-Audio axiom. Let's say I took apart the Edirol, would I be able to use those controls with a third party keybed? In theory if I do this I can retain all of the plug and play ease with no MIDI sysex issues, I know how to map it in Mainstage already, and I can use a fatar 88 key keybed.

hmmmm, getting closer...

I agree a luthier isn't the best choice to build the cabinet, but they would be great to paint it. However I was looking to a luthier for some design sense that a carpenter might not have.

If I make a design myself I am sure a carpenter can do it, I think I just need to make some mockups.

I wouldn't necessarily assume carpenters have no aesthetic sense. May as well at least give them a call or something. If there are any in your area, you could also see if there are any traditional piano makers. They may be able to make something cool looking to house a MIDI controller.

• 2 years later...

Archived