Tom Morello - Just can't play very well imo, and uses a vast amount of FX to hide his basic lack of skill.

Zakk Wylde - Ok, he can play very fast and well. But it's just like PH pentatonics, maybe I just haven't heard enough of his stuff.

Noel Gallagher - Seriously wtf? he's like someone who's been playing for 2 years or something, and he's still at that level.

Ho hum, can't think of any others right now :\

id say tom morellos a VERY good guitarist, and highly influential, but still overrated.

he hasnt really done anything to genuinely progress with his inventiveness since the first couple of ratm albums

Good point.

I rate him so highly because he does actually have a lot more technical skill than you generally hear, because of his initial originality, and because of the sheer number of people who have picked up/got good at/got famous by playing guitar because of his influence.

Tom Morello - Just can't play very well imo, and uses a vast amount of FX to hide his basic lack of skill.

Zakk Wylde - Ok, he can play very fast and well. But it's just like PH pentatonics, maybe I just haven't heard enough of his stuff.

Noel Gallagher - Seriously wtf? he's like someone who's been playing for 2 years or something, and he's still at that level.

Ho hum, can't think of any others right now :\

Tom morello:- well, i can see hwere you're coming from, but to be honest, he is quite good. Better than a lot to be fair.

Zakk Wylde:- I really don't know about zakk, he seems like all he ever does is pentatonics, but he does them very very well...

Noel Gallagher:- Is he even rated in the first place, he's more of a song writer anyway.

some of mine:

steve Vai:- I might get shot down for saying this, but i don't think he is THAT good. Yes, he can play fast, yes he looks fairly cool doing it..But, he seems to be able to get away with playing random notes that don't make much sense, and because he calls it experimentation, everyone seems to love it? :stunned::$

Paul gilbert on the other hand is everything Vai and Satch want to be.

Synester Gates:- He is good, but dosn't deserve the kind of guitar God status he has achieved already.

Kirk Hammett:- Not very good in my opinion, very sloppy live, very bad guitar tone...

Slash:- again, i might be shot down, but i really don't think he is all that. He has inspired countless guitar players, so that can only be a plus point.

Herman Li:- LOL..Just LOL

Lol, you have no idea. Tom Morello is one of the best guitarists, and also one of the most influencial guitarists ever.

:yesey: Playing guitar isn't just about technique it's about inspiring people and that's exactly what Morello does.

matt bellamy i reckon

+1.

Mine are Slash: Seriously if he got any further up is arse he'd get lost.

Graham Coxon : Just another tele toting faggot who thinks he's great. Very mediocre player imo.

Jeff Beck: Repetitive guitarist really. The licks sound the same no matter what the song.

id say tom morellos a VERY good guitarist, and highly influential, but still overrated.

he hasnt really done anything to genuinely progress with his inventiveness since the first couple of ratm albums

to be fair same can be said for people like eddie van halen, hendrix, yngwie etc. i find morello seems to walk a fine line between overrated and underrated, some people go super crazy for him, which i can't understand i just think he's had some very cool ideas but isn't someone who's playing i adore other people seem to think he's all effects when really he achieves a lot from imagination, a few simple regular effects and a lot of technical skill

I think Satch is a technically brilliant guitarist. And some of his tracks are quite good.

But as a songwriter he totally sucks it.

Nah, i disagree. Satch is one of the very few guitarists who breach the gap between technical brilliance and good catchy tunes.

Tom morello:- well, i can see hwere you're coming from, but to be honest, he is quite good. Better than a lot to be fair.

Zakk Wylde:- I really don't know about zakk, he seems like all he ever does is pentatonics, but he does them very very well...

Noel Gallagher:- Is he even rated in the first place, he's more of a song writer anyway.

some of mine:

steve Vai:- I might get shot down for saying this, but i don't think he is THAT good. Yes, he can play fast, yes he looks fairly cool doing it..But, he seems to be able to get away with playing random notes that don't make much sense, and because he calls it experimentation, everyone seems to love it? :stunned::$

Synester Gates:- He is good, but dosn't deserve the kind of guitar God status he has achieved already.

Kirk Hammett:- Not very good in my opinion, very sloppy live, very bad guitar tone...

Slash:- again, i might be shot down, but i really don't think he is all that. He has inspired countless guitar players, so that can only be a plus point.

Herman Li:- LOL..Just LOL

aww i disagree with most of these, vai has some awesome work some's a bit hit and miss but he struck me as out of the shredders probably the one most talented in the way of actual musical composition and stuff. his live shows are immense too. gilbert is awesome too of course

i like synesters playing too, best thing about that band in my opinion.

agreed on hammett, often sounds just like a crybaby wanking excerise hetfields solo's always have so much better melody.

slash is overrated by tons of people who dont play guitar who seem to think he's the fastest but yeah he's the reason i picked up a guitar and he just has awesome tone and great melody, i tend to think he gets underrated by serious guitar players despite his hardest stuff being very very hard to play

Guest bshuker

Nah sorry not right, Steve Vai, while yes does tend to bend what you can get away with musically, and is known for being such a shredder, is such a brilliant musician and guitarist.

Vai is one of those guitarists who has reached that plateau where technique is no longer something that comes into play, the instruments simply an extension of his musical creativity. Not to mention the amount of thought that goes into his phrasing and feel. Go and find the proper transcription of For the Love of God for example, while it sounds kind of simple to play, there are so many intricacies that make it so phenomenal when he plays.

Yeah I come across a little bit of a fanboy here, but I wouldn't say it if it wasn't true.

Gilbert's a great musician and brilliant technician, on the other hand I don't find his music particularly inspiring, his solo album only has maybe 2 or 3 tracks that stand out.

I think Satch is a technically brilliant guitarist. And some of his tracks are quite good.

But as a songwriter he totally sucks it.

Nah Satch is a pretty decent songwriter really.

I'll post some of the ones that I think are overrated in a bit.

IMO Tom Morello is not bad and uses guitar in a otherway then other people for example ( DJ style techniques on guitar) or using a wrench on People Of the Sun + he has a simple setup a few pedals on the ground and cable to the amp no over sized MIDI rig that a lot of Rated guitarist use these days

I think Kirk from Metallica doesn't deserve all the fame because he must use his freakin wah pedal on almost every note of a solo :(

Wah is cool aslong as you don't over use it

and ofcourse Herman Li

Video game noises okay fine but there is something that just makes me dislike him

probally his speed and his attitude that says ''Hey I bet you can't play like this"

He just got famous because of Guitar Hero IMO

IMO Tom Morello is not bad and uses guitar in a otherway then other people for example ( DJ style techniques on guitar) or using a wrench on People Of the Sun + he has a simple setup a few pedals on the ground and cable to the amp no over sized MIDI rig that a lot of Rated guitarist use these days

I think Kirk from Metallica doesn't deserve all the fame because he must use his freakin wah pedal on almost every note of a solo :(

Wah is cool aslong as you don't over use it

and ofcourse Herman Li

Video game noises okay fine but there is something that just makes me dislike him

probally his speed and his attitude that says ''Hey I bet you can't play like this"

He just got famous because of Guitar Hero IMO

Herman Li can't play at the speed you do realise right? Live he doesn't cut it. They sped it up on the albums.

No-one actually rates Kirk Hammet do they?

Kev - I agree on Slash. I hate GnR to be honest, but I think he was a very influencial guitarist, and there's a lot to be said for his harmonic and melodic abilities. Without him the Manics would never have sounded the same - he was a big influence on JDB.

Guest bshuker

So yeah for this list:

Every guitarist in every popular band at the moment (all the stupid indie bands), none of them are good, and they're all getting far more credit than they deserve.

Kurt Cobain is a completely overrated guitarist that deserves nothing, he was shit.

Jimmy Page is alright, but he's not as good as people tend to make out.

The Edge, now theres a guitarist that is certainly creative but is not really that good imo, I think I would put Tom Morello with him aswell.

Jack White just....no.

Tom Delonge

Right now I can't think of many others, but its pretty much the guitarists that are in bands who have become popular, and their playing becomes overrated due to the success of the band.

phail herman li is phail.

:yesey: He's more fail then a donkey with three legs getting attacked by a hobo with one leg!

So yeah for this list:

Every guitarist in every popular band at the moment (all the stupid indie bands), none of them are good, and they're all getting far more credit than they deserve.

Kurt Cobain is a completely overrated guitarist that deserves nothing, he was shit.

Jimmy Page is alright, but he's not as good as people tend to make out.

The Edge, now theres a guitarist that is certainly creative but is not really that good imo, I think I would put Tom Morello with him aswell.

Jack White just....no.

Tom Delonge

Right now I can't think of many others, but its pretty much the guitarists that are in bands who have become popular, and their playing becomes overrated due to the success of the band.

SO MUCH WIN. I forgot about Kobain tbh, he's nothing short of forgettable.

Jack White lol.

OMG NO SCOTT IZ GUN TEW HATE U FIR NAWT LIKING DELONGE!!1111

Page.... Sort of agree but some of his work was ok, just nothing awe inspiring.

The Edge is only good at creating music to fit that band, he doesn't really try and push himself.

Tom Morello - complete disagree. Personally, I think he has vast amounts of skills, plenty more than a lot of todays guitarists. He can shred, write heavy singalong riffs, and even just provide background music, which imo is great. Also, loads of FX? Cock and bull. He has like...5 pedals, thats way less than most guitarist. None of which I can see as covering his skill, all of them he uses in interesting ways, which add to the song.

Noel gallagher - completely agree :D

Archived