Hendrix is probably the greatest guitarist ever, but he is still overrated.

I know this thread is just about opinions, and there have been some pretty stupid opinions expressed, but fuck me. Have you READ this^ quote? Go on, read it.

"Hendrix is the greatest guitarist ever (therefore it's impossible to rate him too high), but he is still overrated"

Christ all mighty. A plague on all my knts.

I know this thread is just about opinions, and there have been some pretty stupid opinions expressed, but fuck me. Have you READ this^ quote? Go on, read it.

"Hendrix is the greatest guitarist ever (therefore it's impossible to rate him too high), but he is still overrated"

yehinorite.

Guitarists who concentrate so much on the technical side of playing that they forget about melody and emotion -- the stuff that music is all about -- are not my cup of tea. Who's in this group: Yingwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Satriani as mentioned. Also, the sound they get out of a guitar often is tinny and hollow. It's like they've sacrificed everything in the name of some technical aspect.

Someone like Slash, on the other hand, can play some killer melodies. He brings across emotion in his playing. I would never put him in the same group as those other guys. He also uses a real man's guitar -- Les Paul -- so it doesn't like a toy ukelele being put through a digital effects machine.

But when you think about it, each guitarist is special in his own way (even the ones I don't like), so as long as someone appreciates them it's really just all subjective after that.

I think its dull. I got about 1minute in tho so i did pretty well.

nah, you missed out on all the high points of the video if you only watched a minute of it. He's just introducing the theme for the first bit. Who knows though, you might not have liked the rest either.

The reason I said it is because I'm bored to hell and back of Hendrix arselicking. Jesus I'm allowed an opinion no matter how dumb it may sound. Should I PM them to you for approval next time?

The reason I said it is because I'm bored to hell and back of Hendrix arselicking. Jesus I'm allowed an opinion no matter how dumb it may sound. Should I PM them to you for approval next time?

yes, but have you read what you actually wrote back there? he wasn't going on about the opinion itself.

Guitarists who concentrate so much on the technical side of playing that they forget about melody and emotion -- the stuff that music is all about -- are not my cup of tea. Who's in this group: Yingwie Malmsteen, Steve Vai, Satriani as mentioned. Also, the sound they get out of a guitar often is tinny and hollow. It's like they've sacrificed everything in the name of some technical aspect.

Someone like Slash, on the other hand, can play some killer melodies. He brings across emotion in his playing. I would never put him in the same group as those other guys. He also uses a real man's guitar -- Les Paul -- so it doesn't like a toy ukelele being put through a digital effects machine.

But when you think about it, each guitarist is special in his own way (even the ones I don't like), so as long as someone appreciates them it's really just all subjective after that.

I'd say Vai is probably the greatest guitarist to combine technical skill and melody. Just listen to Building The Church. Slash is almost as bad as Malmsteen, depending on scales and technique, not much else to his playing.

And also, Slash does use effects, and Les Pauls are far from being good guitars

Archived