Yep :LOL:

I'm bored at work.

Me too. So quite obviously there is a point to arguing points of view - it keeps us entertained.

If you're a hypocrit I will point it out as has been shown - doesn't that make you feel like a tit? I would feel like a tit if I made some totally contradictory statements and then they were pointed out infront of my peers.

I look forward to disagreeing with you again soon.

Isn't that the entire point of a message board?

truth

i'd say myself herman li is just shite. nothing more needs to be said.

& steve vai, he is very technically amazing. but his music just bores me. good guitarists are the ones who strike the balance between being able to play extremly well and being able to use those skills in meaningful circumstances, not just over-technical wankery.

also i saw the guitarist out of the wombats on reading on bbc3 the other day, and he was using a tele plus (i could tell by the bridge), but only strumming it for the songs it was used for. i mean, wtf? awesome guitar with lots of potential and he's not even using it awesomely.

Guest bshuker
truth

i'd say myself herman li is just shite. nothing more needs to be said.

& steve vai, he is very technically amazing. but his music just bores me. good guitarists are the ones who strike the balance between being able to play extremly well and being able to use those skills in meaningful circumstances, not just over-technical wankery.

also i saw the guitarist out of the wombats on reading on bbc3 the other day, and he was using a tele plus (i could tell by the bridge), but only strumming it for the songs it was used for. i mean, wtf? awesome guitar with lots of potential and he's not even using it awesomely.

Sounds like someone who hasn't listened to Vai properly, as with most of the people's opinions on the internet, based on small judgements with no real basis of fact.

As for the last bit, what do you expect from a shit band.

The Wombats arent a technical band. theyre a pop band, theres no need for their guitarist to be pumping out riffs that tele plus's are normally used for.

But its his choice if he wants to use that guitar. It might, to him, sound better than other guitars hes tried for those songs. And dont forget that players dont stop playing when they leave the stage, he might use that guitar at home for playing other bands songs.

*likes the wombats :$*

The Wombats arent a technical band. theyre a pop band, theres no need for their guitarist to be pumping out riffs that tele plus's are normally used for.

But its his choice if he wants to use that guitar. It might, to him, sound better than other guitars hes tried for those songs. And dont forget that players dont stop playing when they leave the stage, he might use that guitar at home for playing other bands songs.

*likes the wombats :$*

haha :D good points.

Guest bshuker
truth there on the last comment.

i will admit to not having heard much of his stuff though, just random youtube stuff :$ what can you recommend for me to listen to, vai-wise? :)

No worries here are a few off youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjPugIHLfJs&feature=related (not a video but the song's there regardless)

Theres a few anyway! Hopefully enough to at least give you a glimpse

edit: note on the live performances with the orchestra, the songs are composed by Vai, I can't say if he wrote the arrangements out or not, but they're no different to the album versions in terms of the composition. (incase you were thinking yeah its all well and good but he didn't write it or something)

Tom Morello - Just can't play very well imo, and uses a vast amount of FX to hide his basic lack of skill.

Zakk Wylde - Ok, he can play very fast and well. But it's just like PH pentatonics, maybe I just haven't heard enough of his stuff.

Noel Gallagher - Seriously wtf? he's like someone who's been playing for 2 years or something, and he's still at that level.

Ho hum, can't think of any others right now :\

:rolleyes:

He's just saying as a guitarist Noel Gallagher is wank. Which he really is. As are the rest of the band as musicians.

Noel is a fine guitarist by his own Right as is Gem....... neither of are the best admittedly but still bloody great musicians. Andy Bell howetehr is a genious guitarist anyone who knows his work from Ride will tell you that... so by saying the band are wank as musicians shows typical fuckin anti Oasis ignorance. Bell could outplay your Bellamy's, your Greenwoods any other British guitarist at this moment in time. But the offer to become the bass player in the BIGGEST band in Britain doesn't come along very often he had to take it.

But oh well thats typical Muse/Radiohead fan snobbery I suppose.

Noel is a fine guitarist by his own Right as is Gem....... neither of are the best admittedly but still bloody great musicians. Andy Bell howetehr is a genious guitarist anyone who knows his work from Ride will tell you that... so by saying the band are wank as musicians shows typical fuckin anti Oasis ignorance. Bell could outplay your Bellamy's, your Greenwoods any other British guitarist at this moment in time. But the offer to become the bass player in the BIGGEST band in Britain doesn't come along very often he had to take it.

LOL. Who bought anything about Bellz or Greenw00d into this? Sounds more like your stuck for defending a very repetitive band that can't change themselves and keep up with the times! They aren't good musicians at all. They do stuff that page etc was doing 10 or so years before them but with a northern accent. Also seriously don't generalize me as one of these Muse or Radiohead snobs. I think Bellz is at best an average guitarist. Jonny is much the same but at least he tries to be unique.

Guest bshuker

Yes he's clearly better than Guthrie Govan

Manic Streets Preachers guitarist, peoples opinions?

He was in that nme best guitar poll a few months ago, and was pretty high on the list for a while, if not first... which makes him lose some skill already :LOL: But hes wrote some good riffs, ie. motorcycle emptiness.

So ye, underrated or overrrated?

Manic Streets Preachers guitarist, peoples opinions?

He was in that nme best guitar poll a few months ago, and was pretty high on the list for a while, if not first... which makes him lose some skill already :LOL: But hes wrote some good riffs, ie. motorcycle emptiness.

So ye, underrated or overrrated?

He's not even rated imo. I wouldn't count him as anything, but then the fan boys will be like 'NO HE'S A GENUIS' as Mr Noel proved with my Oasis bashing.

Archived