You only one trigger, not the whole e-kit, (I think?) and I'd mount it off the bass drum hoop like a cowbell (they even use the same mounting apparatus) like Rodey Holmes/Steve Gadd do http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/rodneyholmesgroove.html. Just put the brain on a table behind you or near the sound guy.

Yeah thats where I was thinking of - either there or attached to tom2 so that whenever i strike its rim it will make a shaker / cowbell / tambourine sound.

Ill also have a pad left of my hi-hats - a normal pad this time lol

so ill have 2 triggers as such, just one in pad format and one in 'rim' format.

:D

:eek:

FUCKING HELL! THAT VIDEO!!

Nah, I've already got a dreadful kit for practise, it's donating the lugs to make my snare when the shell arrives. I'm especially after the highly resonant 3-ply w/ re-rings Slingy shells from the 60s/70s. That and the badges have "Niles" on them already. It's too much of a sign to ignore.

You could order a new shell for the bass drum from Gold'n'times or RCI Starlite

'Niles' badges, LOL I didn't know that!

Have you drilled a shell before? That's something I really wouldn't feel confident about but then I can build a recording studio and they're quite fiddly too! Are you buying a stave drum? I'd love to hear one of those, do you know anyone who has one so I can download a track?

I've seen the RCI website but it's just getting it over to the UK that will be too expensive. I'll have another look on t'internet, see if anyone's importing them. Good idea that, Mate.

Stakka.

I see your problem with the ekit now. Have you thought about a 'Flats' kit by Arbiter. You can get them with mesh heads on and they're peanuts on ebay. You could even get the rim mounted triggers and some ecymbals and build yourself a rough and ready ekit?

If all else fails, buy him a bass.:rolleyes: Seriously. The world is desperately short of good bass players and you can accompany each other. There's no quicker way of learning an instrument than playing with other musicians.

redglassSlingerlandeyelet.jpg:p

Have you drilled a shell before?

No, but I have friends who know how. :D

Are you buying a stave drum?

No, I'm looking into a segment snare shell, if I can't find a whole snare for cheaper on eBay then I'll use the hardware I've already got on an unfinished shell. I do have soundclips but I can't remember where. The way I hear it the less glue in the shell the dryer the sound gets (there's a comparison between solid, steambent and stave versions of the same wooden shell on teh website I'm thinking of, in each progression the overtone content increases).

'Niles' badges, LOL I didn't know that!

Stakka.

I see your problem with the ekit now. Have you thought about a 'Flats' kit by Arbiter. You can get them with mesh heads on and they're peanuts on ebay. You could even get the rim mounted triggers and some ecymbals and build yourself a rough and ready ekit?

If all else fails, buy him a bass.:rolleyes: Seriously. The world is desperately short of good bass players and you can accompany each other. There's no quicker way of learning an instrument than playing with other musicians.

Thanks Dan - I had a look at the weekend and moving a cymbal around permanently and then just swinging a tom tom out the way and setting up sounds in a spare kit memory will almost get the kit the way he would need it. He will be using a cymbal as a hi hat which in the early days may not be too bad as I can just give it a closed hi hat sound and he can forget about footwork there in the meantime. It is very early days for him so finding his way around the kit, early stick control, starting off some limb separation etc. will give him enough things to worry about than fast foot splash work !! Still I will probably get him some proper lessons which may dictate how things go.

As for the bass - some good logic there - though he is also dabbling with a lead electric - which threw up the left hand issue again!! Then we have a small synth / midi studio as a fall back for him so you can't say I have not given him all the resources / encouragement he needs - knowing my luck he will probably throw himself in to ballet instead :rolleyes:

Got it !!!.....just hang the left handed little beggar upside down by his ankles to play..then no need to move the drum kit around ! :D

Anyways....just watched a re-run of Dom and the boys on Jools Holland for the first time last night...didn't seem to quite cut it in my opinion, was it the small studio environment? (sound mixing was a bit off as well) but guess that is not their fault. Made up for it with KOC at the end though. Getting Sky HD for xmas was good though as now it is recorded (along with other gigs of theirs that crop up) it is cool for studying Dom and his kit in action and is very clear. Do hope they bring out a good official DVD of their current tour sooner or later - they were awesome.

Got it !!!.....just hang the left handed little beggar upside down by his ankles to play..then no need to move the drum kit around ! :D

Anyways....just watched a re-run of Dom and the boys on Jools Holland for the first time last night...didn't seem to quite cut it in my opinion, was it the small studio environment? (sound mixing was a bit off as well) but guess that is not their fault. Made up for it with KOC at the end though. Getting Sky HD for xmas was good though as now it is recorded (along with other gigs of theirs that crop up) it is cool for studying Dom and his kit in action and is very clear. Do hope they bring out a good official DVD of their current tour sooner or later - they were awesome.

yeah with multi-camera angles to be able to see Dom! Woo Dom! :D

Kit's completed, I've gotten a bigger bass shell (24), here's an update on what I'm using now:

"Slingerland" maple w/ re-rings drums
High gloss dark amber stained natural finish w/ chrome hardware and high gloss shell interiors
Slingerland and Vic Firth bass reso logos
12x8 tom	(Texture Coated over Classic Clear)
16x16 tom	(Texture Coated over Classic Clear)
24x14 kick	(Texture Coated Super Kick I w/ Falam Slam over Texture Coated Force I w/ 4" port)

Axis X-L Longboard pedal
Pearl hat stand
Ashton, DXP and Sonor hardware
Vic Firth X5A sticks

Kit's completed, I've gotten a bigger bass shell (24), here's an update on what I'm using now:

"Slingerland" maple w/ re-rings drums
High gloss dark amber stained natural finish w/ chrome hardware and high gloss shell interiors
Slingerland and Vic Firth bass reso logos
12x8 tom	(Texture Coated over Classic Clear)
16x16 tom	(Texture Coated over Classic Clear)
24x14 kick	(Texture Coated Super Kick I w/ Falam Slam over Texture Coated Force I w/ 4" port)

Axis X-L Longboard pedal
Pearl hat stand
Ashton, DXP and Sonor hardware
Vic Firth X5A sticks

Pictures? Go on, indulge us! What's those longboards like, are they easier to play? I play heel up all the time so they probably wouldn't make much differennce to my playing. And did you need a pillow in a kick drum that size or does the coated head damp it down enough? In your opinion, would a coated kick batter be better for punky fast 'blast' beats? I've never used one on a kick before.

For those interested Dom is in Modern Drummer: http://www.moderndrummer.com/updatefull/200001544

Hahaha, nothing would please me more than to post pics, cos that would mean I'd have them. It's all in the mail from America (didn't that sting a bit). I used an Eliminator before the Axis and while it's otherwise my favourite pedal the accuracy of the direct drive really puts it up top. I don't really need the longboard version but it makes playing heel down easier (I play heel up and down).

Both the front and back bass heads I'm using are pre-muffled (Force is Aquarians version of the Powerstroke 3 and Super Kick I is an Ambassador with a ring of felt around the outer edge), that coupled with the coating on both heads, the port, the falam patch and the really shallow depth I expect will make it quite tight indeed. I got coated heads specifically so they would dampen the click of the attack, I'd get clear for blasting with.

I may not port the head, I'm tending towards a more open, boomier sounding bass lately.

Update on my backward son...er I mean left handed little darling....he is not left handed...he has "mixed dominance" which is apparently an established medical condition. Just had it confirmed by a doctor and an optician so what it means is on some things he will lead with his left side and some with his right and some will be a mix of the 2.

He is def left handed when using his arms drumming ie left hand hit hat, right hand snare as he has just clicked with separating the two out and playing a rhythm (that’s my boy) but he naturally taps his right foot to music and says his right feels better on the bass pedal.

F**k*ng marvellous - I swear he is doing this to wind me up :indiff: - having just sussed out a way to lay the kit out for left (him) and right (me) handed playing (got an extra cymbal on the right for his hihat and reversing toms and snare sounds (digital kit). So now it looks like he has to either play open style to keep the hi hat above the left foot or we needs a cable hi hat to swing the hat over to the right. Anyone heard of this set up / playing style before or see any advantages / pitfalls ?

None at all, in fact I very nearly did the same thing myself as a crutch to compensate for the fact that I led with the left but started fills with the right. hey, maybe I've got that, too, cos I eat with my utensils back to front and play guitar left handed, too.

In my opinion the only important thing is toms, if you're right handed your toms must descend towards the right and vice versa for lefties, you can learn how to play in any hand/foot config (I'm living proof) but if you're right handed you'll get tangled up trying to play left handed toms.

How recent is this? This picture shows him using CS white dot snare and P3 bass batters as well as 19" crash and, unprecedented, A Custom ride, and a Chrome Cobra (which I suspect the "DW9000" pedal was all along). There's something on the leg of his 14" floor tom that looks like a black sweatband (like the kind that I've taken to wearing when I play now). The 18" crash is still a K Custom fast, the hats are still the 14" KC special Dry and the splash is definitely an 8" Avedis. The china is the universal 18" FX oriental china trash.

Best shot I found of dom's drums to date...

339628450_1eb9d5bd54_o.jpg

wow! where did you get that?!

i like the little hand :D

is that there throughout the whole gig? :LOL:

How recent is this? This picture shows him using CS white dot snare and P3 bass batters as well as 19" crash and, unprecedented, A Custom ride, and a Chrome Cobra (which I suspect the "DW9000" pedal was all along). There's something on the leg of his 14" floor tom that looks like a black sweatband (like the kind that I've taken to wearing when I play now). The 18" crash is still a K Custom fast, the hats are still the 14" KC special Dry and the splash is definitely an 8" Avedis. The china is the universal 18" FX oriental china trash.

How can you tell what the cymbals are? :LOL: all you can see is the lathe marks on them! :LOL:

I trust you though! I bet ur right! But HOW! :LOL: :LOL:

The hand is a remnant from when a roadie previously tried to tighten Doms snare just as the top half of Dom's drum cubicle crashed down and severed his arm right off. They decided to leave it there as a tribute but also a warning to others of the perils of the new stage setup :) .

How can you tell what the cymbals are? all you can see is the lathe marks on them!

That's exactly how. :) The ride has "Avedis Zildjian" on the top so it's either A or A Custom, it's brilliant so that means it's either an A Custom or Avedis Sweet/Medium ride and the lathing (fine blade) and hammering (radial) patterns are distinct to the A Custom line. If my net connection was good enough I could browse the Zildjian website and using the bell profile determine which model A Custom ride it is. With the 18" crash you can see it has K/KC random hammering and given their depth and that it's a brilliant cymbal it can only be a KC fast. Red logo, shallow lip, brilliant finish identifies the china, heavy, radial hammering, scratch lathing and logo identifies the hats and hammering and traditional finish identifies the splash.

And more interestingly, why did you name every single part in the first place? I didn't even see anyone ask

Started a discussion, didn't it?