Yeah. Vents of any kind in the shell-head system dry the sound, reducing overtones. A reso with a port on the bass reduces the boomy-ness and sharpens it into mroe of a thud. SK1 and FI are already slightly dried heads (outside edge muffling only) so with a small port offset from the centre of the drum, heads just tight enough that they don't wrinkle, you get the deepest shuddering sub-lows, and that's with a 22x16, I still want to get a 26x18 cannon.

heh, Dominic used the exact same bass head combo as me (in clears) at Dundee:

http://www.microcuts.net/gallery/details.php?image_id=4943

Hi guys, no doubt this has been asked so I'm going to get mauled for it... but here goes. I can play Knights pretty well except for this one bit, the fast rolls at 2 mins 46. Anyone got any tips on how to play them? Would be greatly appreciated!!

Yeah. Vents of any kind in the shell-head system dry the sound, reducing overtones. A reso with a port on the bass reduces the boomy-ness and sharpens it into mroe of a thud. SK1 and FI are already slightly dried heads (outside edge muffling only) so with a small port offset from the centre of the drum, heads just tight enough that they don't wrinkle, you get the deepest shuddering sub-lows, and that's with a 22x16, I still want to get a 26x18 cannon.

Weeell I can always cut a hole in the head I have. They're just so bloody expensive :stunned:

Oh, and do you have any suggestions for Remo/Evans bass drum heads? I have a EUR 20 voucher for a shop, but they don't sell Aquarian heads...

And do you have any suggestions for double kick pad thingies? The Remo ones are yellow and really wouldn't go with the rest of the kit [/woman] ;)

Weeell I can always cut a hole in the head I have. They're just so bloody expensive :stunned:

Oh, and do you have any suggestions for Remo/Evans bass drum heads? I have a EUR 20 voucher for a shop, but they don't sell Aquarian heads...

And do you have any suggestions for double kick pad thingies? The Remo ones are yellow and really wouldn't go with the rest of the kit [/woman] ;)

ARGH don't get me started about drum pads, i have a remo one...a red one and it's done fuck all for me, is there any thicker ones?

EDIT: I really want a ribbon crasher, i've got a shop that could deliver it to me for around £50ish, but i don't know if you need a specific stand that only fits them or i could just buy a normal boom stand? any help?

ARGH don't get me started about drum pads, i have a remo one...a red one and it's done fuck all for me, is there any thicker ones?

EDIT: I really want a ribbon crasher, i've got a shop that could deliver it to me for around £50ish, but i don't know if you need a specific stand that only fits them or i could just buy a normal boom stand? any help?

normal boom stand aparently.

This question has been asked on here before and someone posted a close up link. This was ages ago tho...

Oh, and do you have any suggestions for Remo/Evans bass drum heads?

Remo only has one bass specific drumhead, the Powersonic, (you can use any others as a batter or resonant, Ebony if you want a black one, Smooth White if you want a white one, coated if you want less click and more warmth) here are what I've heard of most people using arranged in terms of ascending sound control:

Remo:

Ambassador (1x 10 mil ply)

Emperor (2x 7 mil plies, free floating)

Controlled Sound (1x 10 mil ply, dot on top)

Powerstroke 3 (1x 10 mil ply, edge overtone control ring)

Pinstripe (2x 7 mil plies, bonded edge overtone coltrol)

Powersonic (2x 7 mil plies, 2x edge overtone control rings AND snap on dampening pads (can change dampening without taking the head off))

I don't have much experience with Evans heads so I can't order them, but these are their bass heads:

EMAD2 (2-ply, 6.5 mil outer 10 mil inner, 2 external overtone control rings (can change dampening without taking head off))

EMAD (1-ply, 10 mil version of the above)

EMADS are batter side heads, you can get an EMAD reso, too.

EQ1 (1-ply, 10 mil, overtone control ring, EQ muffle ring (inside, can be removed), dry vents)

EQ2 (2-ply, overtone control ring, removable EQ muffle ring (inside), "studio grill; to diffuse air from point of beater attack" WTF I dunno)

EQ3 (2-ply, overtone control ring, removable EQ muffle ring (inside))

EQ4 (1-ply, 10 mil, overtone control ring, "a special film makes this head extra-rugged") = Powerstroke 3

G1 (1-ply, 10 mil) = Ambassador

G2 (2x 7 mil plies) = Emperor

Retro screen ("Rediscover the punch of a 60's single-headed bass head sound. The black retro-mesh looks good and keeps your shell in round. Zero sympathetic resonance promotes solid oomph!")

I generally don't buy Evans because I don't know what the hell any of their stuff does (and they're the most expensive). :/

And do you have any suggestions for double kick pad thingies? The Remo ones are yellow and really wouldn't go with the rest of the kit

I've always used the Aquarian ones tha you get when you buy a Force I. Evans make one, too, but I don't know who else. I've heard of people using a credit card taped to the head though, they sware it works even better than the pad.

BEWARE!! the mount on the rhythmtech crasher lies directly below and underneath the metallic strips: therefore not ideal for mounting on ordinary cymbal stands unless you hacksaw a bit of the metal rod off, so if the bolt comes loose you dont get the cymbal mount rod ploughing into the playing strips. Ive just got a crasher and not used it yet so gonna try and find some special mounting device, + of course see how it actually works on an ordinary stand.

EDIT: it looks from this pic that part of an ordinary stand has indeed been cut off

http://www.soundaffects.net/photos/Muse/muse02.jpg

boobs

HAHAHAHAHAHA:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

:stunned:

urm...yes to fellow on the discussion:

Quote:

Originally Posted by 6ixty_6ix

BEWARE!! the mount on the rhythmtech crasher lies directly below and underneath the metallic strips: therefore not ideal for mounting on ordinary cymbal stands unless you hacksaw a bit of the metal rod off, so if the bolt comes loose you dont get the cymbal mount rod ploughing into the playing strips. Ive just got a crasher and not used it yet so gonna try and find some special mounting device, + of course see how it actually works on an ordinary stand.

i should be able to manufacture something to hold it onto a boom stand, my Dad's obsessed with metal work and engineering, he's customised my hi hat stand to make it more powerful and durable, fancy selling your crasher mr richie jazz?:D