Dubstep

Dirk Gently

Well, it's a very thin line between those two, but I would definitely say that "Follow Me" is dubstep. "Unsustainable", on the other hand, is far more complicated to classify, because it not electronic.

Hmmm. I've been into dubstep for a good few years now, along with other types of EDM. Dubstep was originally dark, chilled back bass music with broken up beats. I don't think massive basslines in your face are dubstep, but that's just me :D

Hmmm. I've been into dubstep for a good few years now, along with other types of EDM. Dubstep was originally dark, chilled back bass music with broken up beats. I don't think massive basslines in your face are dubstep, but that's just me :D

I know. I've had a hard time accepting stuff like "Skrillex" to be labeled as dubstep, but what can you do? The majority of people have never heard of musicians like "Distance", for example, and they probably never will.

It is not a thin line. You just don't know what you're talking about like most of the people here.

Then please, share your wisdom with me.

I know. I've had a hard time accepting stuff like "Skrillex" to be labeled as dubstep, but what can you do? The majority of people have never heard of musicians like "Distance", for example, and they probably never will.

Then please, share your wisdom with me.

Just checked out Distance...good...if you're looking for a nap....

What Skrillex, Knife Party and Doctor P et al are to dubstep is the same what nu-metal was to metal in the nineties. Brostep is not longer mediation on bass with heavy dub influences intertwined with 2-step rhythms, it's just the most obvious effects used in dubstep cranked to max and blasted out at frat parties (usually accompanied with very basic rhythms patterns; usually just house).

It is good in what it is, energetic party music that gets people moshing and as such, it could work with Muse songs if done right, but it seems they heard Kill Everybody once and decided that if we play it backwards with our instruments it's good enough for our album.

Follow me doesn't even have the trademarks of popular brostep/dubstep, it just has a drop and heavy bass.
Which is why it's also better than Unsustainable for example. The straightforward rhythm really emphasizes the singing and the grandness of the song. Too bad the lyrics and singing take it to Eurovision, but well it's Muse so it's destined to be camp.

Archived