Song Muse/Matt put the most heart into?

Xvm27

To be fair some of the early performances looked pretty uncomfortable. I think the pop-star act can look a bit forced at times but on average they look more comfortable on stage than they've ever been.

Like... compare any performance since 2012 with the Teignmouth performance in 2009 where everyone looks like they're going to shit themselves at any moment.

Matt's specifically stated that he wanted to do some of those things to "get closer" or more in touch with the audience; after the TR tour, where the pillars fit a sort of concept, but completely alienated the audience from the band at several points of the performance.

Maybe that makes it "forced" but I also believe that that is impossible to get away from a lot of times in such a big performance; things are going to be a bit scripted.

The band, Matt in particular, had almost NO interaction with the crowd in the past, enough that it was noted by a lot of gig reviewers, also.

I think it's fine to say you like the "raw" stuff better, but that doesn't mean it WAS better, especially in terms of Matt's voice.

Maybe it's because I never saw any of the old stuff live, but I actually really liked what I saw at the T2L tour.

Oh of course I love the fact they're interacting a bit more. After 3 Resistance gigs I left the T2L gig feeling like I had seen a different band entirely, one that wasn't robotically playing all the songs on stage. I guess by the cheesy stuff I mean more the sudden knee drops and the reaching-out-hand-to-dancer during Blackout. I don't really have much of a problem with those though.

I think it's a good thing that he seems like he's more comfortable with his role as frontman. I mean, I really never thought I'd see him perform without being accompanied by an instrument. It's alright, as long as he doesn't start initiating "hey-oh" back and forths with the crowd.

I think it's a good thing that he seems like he's more comfortable with his role as frontman. I mean, I really never thought I'd see him perform without being accompanied by an instrument. It's alright, as long as he doesn't start initiating "hey-oh" back and forths with the crowd.

))))))) Aha... But who knows... May be we'll see it soon.

And yes, that's true he hardly ever performed without an instrument until very recently. I don't know, in my opinion, he's a musician more than singer. Composer, guitarist, piano-player and only then a singer. I always felt like his voice was just like another instrument and sounded as a part of the music rather than music sounded as accompaniment of his voice..

And, oh God, never frontman!

Matt's specifically stated that he wanted to do some of those things to "get closer" or more in touch with the audience; after the TR tour, where the pillars fit a sort of concept, but completely alienated the audience from the band at several points of the performance.

Maybe that makes it "forced" but I also believe that that is impossible to get away from a lot of times in such a big performance; things are going to be a bit scripted.

The band, Matt in particular, had almost NO interaction with the crowd in the past, enough that it was noted by a lot of gig reviewers, also.

I think it's fine to say you like the "raw" stuff better, but that doesn't mean it WAS better, especially in terms of Matt's voice.

Maybe it's because I never saw any of the old stuff live, but I actually really liked what I saw at the T2L tour.

Yes, I know. This is what I meant saying he planned to do something like crowd-surfing.

Alienated the audience? But this is what was so special about him. About them. Wasn't it?

Even though "gig reviewers" noted this do you think the public needed more interaction with him? I mean, you could feel his passion about his music. He was definitely concentrated on himself, but that was breathtaking. You could feel how he feels about this songs. May be, that was an acting, but what an acting!

And now... he's getting closer to the audience and away from his music.

I agree with this, though. May be that's why ( I hope!!!!) they want to play more small gigs this year rather than concerts on big stadiums.

Yes, I know. This is what I meant saying he planned to do something like crowd-surfing.

Alienated the audience? But this is what was so special about him. About them. Wasn't it?

Even though "gig reviewers" noted this do you think the public needed more interaction with him? I mean, you could feel his passion about his music. He was definitely concentrated on himself, but that was breathtaking. You could feel how he feels about this songs. May be, that was an acting, but what an acting!

Perhaps in the early days. But in most of the Resistance tour it felt like they were playing each gig just to get it over with. Everything nice and rehearsed, even the guitar throws and constant riffs felt so pre-planned.

I don't see how they're distancing themselves from the music while at the same time having fun with the music they're playing.

i have never mentioned this before. Apart from all of I said above I think his manner is moving towards pop-star behavior. All that crowd-surfing (even if he didn't actually did that he had a plan), all that "flirting" with the audience, "fishy" face, pop-like dancing while singing (ok, almost pop-like dancing), strange way of walking and... Like his expressions, his mimics, if you want.

I can give you some examples, but you can check almost EVERY performance since 201...2? It feels like he's not himself on the stage anymore. Seems like he's learnt it from somewhere ( I've got some ideas where exactly) and it doesn't suit him at all. Do you remember once I've mentioned that earlier it felt like he didn't care about the audience, he was completely absorbed by his own music? So, that was true. I am pretty sure that was not acting. I know something about this.

that's why I like him better back in early days. Yes, he was unexperienced, but he was natural, like a pure energy. Then, of course, he acquired some kind of a manner. But it seemed unintentional, also natural, his own, that was just an another expression of his music or smith.

I don't want him to stay the same all the time. But I'd prefer him to move closer to that personification of himself rather than the new one.

Don't think I'am insane in advance.

Meh, I'd say there's been a natural, albeit fast progression. It started by Matt handing over the guitar to Morgan for a song or two. He then realised that he acually felt pretty good without the guitar, despite having feared being without an instrument for so many years.

Then after a few gigs of awkward arm movements without the guitar, he became comfortable with it, and tried taking it one step further by involving the audience. I don't think there's anything unnatural or rehearsed about it, Matt just loves how he can now interact with them.

Sure some of the movements seem very copied by U2, but that's not exactly a shocker. It's called inspiration, and it doesn't just apply to songwriting.

The more "scripted" a performance is, the more you get away from crowd interaction.

I have no idea what these moves are, but if Bellamy has gone from always having a guitar to singing without one, these "scripted" moves are probably more to do with his confidence than crowd interaction. It is daunting to going from having something for your hands to do to not.

Once the confidence is truly there, then it will be less scripted and more free. It is then easier to read and react to a crowd.

My bandmate has a performing arts degree. :)

Oh of course I love the fact they're interacting a bit more. After 3 Resistance gigs I left the T2L gig feeling like I had seen a different band entirely, one that wasn't robotically playing all the songs on stage. I guess by the cheesy stuff I mean more the sudden knee drops and the reaching-out-hand-to-dancer during Blackout. I don't really have much of a problem with those though.

Sorry, I was responding to Static's concerns more, but quoting is such a fail on my "tablet" at times. :(

I think everyone knows I like the "cheesy" stuff by now. :LOL:

I was into every single thing about the performance of Follow Me that I saw. :phu:

I also haven't seen a full stadium performance, as they keep getting deleted before I can get home.

And no, I don't think that was what was "special about him."

It seemed to at best come off as a lack of confidence, and at worst that he was stuck up his own arse.

For me, personally, it was the middle ground where it wasn't a big deal, but it did feel very, very odd in person.

I think Matt said one thing during the gig I was at, and I don't think that made him feel "passionate" about the music at all.

Like Kueller said, he seemed more "bored" during TR than T2L. It didn't even come off as bored to me, it just felt more scripted and more distant (the pillars were so cool to look at, but really didn't help.)

I would argue that albums should be all about the music, but concerts obviously have to be about the crowd, at some point.

I mean, it's a concert, not a play at the theater... (even though they seem to like throwing in those sorts of things into the concerts lately.)

Not everyone who goes to these things is a hardcore fan (and in the US, probably very few of them are) and having a band that doesn't even acknowledge that the crowd is there is often off putting.

I definitely believe it's a reason why a lot of reviewers (professional or otherwise) have disliked Bellamy after attending gig for no real reason.

Perhaps in the early days. But in most of the Resistance tour it felt like they were playing each gig just to get it over with. Everything nice and rehearsed, even the guitar throws and constant riffs felt so pre-planned.

But i meant the early days exactly! The Resistance is the beginning of the period that is worrying for me. And i agree with what you said. This is what I call resting.

I don't see how they're distancing themselves from the music while at the same time having fun with the music they're playing.

Having fun? I don't really understand what you mean by having fun with the music. I am just saying that getting in touch with the crowd and finally this pop-star manner make him less concentrated on his music. I don't really see him improvising and really enjoying the music he plays anymore. This is what I call having fun with the music.

Having fun? I don't really understand what you mean by having fun with the music. I am just saying that getting in touch with the crowd and finally this pop-star manner make him less concentrated on his music. I don't really see him improvising and really enjoying the music he plays anymore. This is what I call having fun with the music.

How can you not say he's having fun with his music right now?

Meh, I'd say there's been a natural, albeit fast progression. It started by Matt handing over the guitar to Morgan for a song or two. He then realised that he acually felt pretty good without the guitar, despite having feared being without an instrument for so many years.

Do you think that was his fear of not having an instrument in his hands?

How does he not look like he's not enjoying the music he plays when the band is putting their all into it? Matt's singing songs much more difficult than before, Chris is going to lead, they're bringing back extremely rare and old songs (meaning they're not too ashamed of the past anymore).

Is there a right way to have fun?

Sorry, I was responding to Static's concerns more, but quoting is such a fail on my "tablet" at times. :(

I think everyone knows I like the "cheesy" stuff by now. :LOL:

I was into every single thing about the performance of Follow Me that I saw. :phu:

I also haven't seen a full stadium performance, as they keep getting deleted before I can get home.

And no, I don't think that was what was "special about him."

It seemed to at best come off as a lack of confidence, and at worst that he was stuck up his own arse.

For me, personally, it was the middle ground where it wasn't a big deal, but it did feel very, very odd in person.

I think Matt said one thing during the gig I was at, and I don't think that made him feel "passionate" about the music at all.

Like Kueller said, he seemed more "bored" during TR than T2L. It didn't even come off as bored to me, it just felt more scripted and more distant (the pillars were so cool to look at, but really didn't help.).

Yes, i mean the Resistance as well. And actually I do like T2L more than the Resistance. But his behaviour getting more and more pop.

You = tumblr_mrmkifS5aw1syjenho5_r1_250.gif

And that's you playing with Sippe:

b9d.gif

But i meant the early days exactly! The Resistance is the beginning of the period that is worrying for me. And i agree with what you said. This is what I call resting.

I think the problem is not Muse's performance, but that you just dislike more and more songs Muse perform nowadays.

Muse still have it. *looks at the Zepp gig*

I am just saying that getting in touch with the crowd and finally this pop-star manner make him less concentrated on his music.

That part of your post confuses me the most.

How does he not look like he's not enjoying the music he plays when the band is putting their all into it? Matt's singing songs much more difficult than before, Chris is going to lead, they're bringing back extremely rare and old songs (meaning they're not too ashamed of the past anymore).

Is there a right way to have fun?

May be. You see, i never bring my opinion as the right one. I share what I think and really interested in how you respond on it. So, yes, but it's another sort of having fun. And do they have to be ashamed of their past?????

May be. You see, i never bring my opinion as the right one. I share what I think and really interested in how you respond on it. So, yes, but it's another sort of having fun. And do they have to be ashamed of their past?????

Most bands tend to not like their old stuff.

And I don't know them personally, but it looks like they're having fun to me. Maybe not in the same way as in 2001, but still having fun.

I don't really see him improvising and really enjoying the music he plays anymore. This is what I call having fun with the music.

Yeah, that's what you call having fun...

Do you think that was his fear of not having an instrument in his hands?

Yes, he has talked about it in several interviews.

Archived