no i havent got them yet. do you want me to ask him what he thinks will go well together when i get them? since he makes them i guess hes the best person to ask.

in other news. i ran out of clear coat and only got some more a few days ago. then my extractor keeps cutting out, so i wasnt able to do as much per day as i wanted. but the holly had the last coats a couple of days ago, and the strat has maybe one more day. but that might be done too.

in other news, the sims chrome body i got sent ages ago is total shit. quite apart from all the orange peel and bobbles and bits of dust sticking up, the first time i look at the thing in months, and part of the clear coat is lifting near one of the humbucker ring screw holes. then when i put the neck in to have a look at it, screw the neck in only as much as it needs to be, not too tight, just right - two chips on where the neck meets the body on the back, and more clear lifting around the neck plate.

at the minute it looks like the plan is to buy a chrome paint system and do it myself

no i havent got them yet. do you want me to ask him what he thinks will go well together when i get them? since he makes them i guess hes the best person to ask.

in other news. i ran out of clear coat and only got some more a few days ago. then my extractor keeps cutting out, so i wasnt able to do as much per day as i wanted. but the holly had the last coats a couple of days ago, and the strat has maybe one more day. but that might be done too.

in other news, the sims chrome body i got sent ages ago is total shit. quite apart from all the orange peel and bobbles and bits of dust sticking up, the first time i look at the thing in months, and part of the clear coat is lifting near one of the humbucker ring screw holes. then when i put the neck in to have a look at it, screw the neck in only as much as it needs to be, not too tight, just right - two chips on where the neck meets the body on the back, and more clear lifting around the neck plate.

at the minute it looks like the plan is to buy a chrome paint system and do it myself

Nah it should be fine. I know the guitar that I'm loosely basing this on is a '63 with an old PAF in the neck (so the mule should work) and a stock bridge pickup. I think I chose the '68 stagger bridge single coil, and I figure that would be closest to the sound I'm after. bright with some good attack.

I'm not sure if you need to get anything different in order to wire up the phase switch correctly. I think it just requires a 4 conductor neck pickup, but I can't remember

And you'd probably make a fortune doing that. Doesn't really look like there are any good chromers in the UK anymore

regarding that second replacement strat neck i mentioned a few pages back

do you think I can send you the body because 1) i'll probably get the measurements wrong again and 2) I'm considering a refinish with a matching headstock

i guess from this

169fga1.jpg

to this

p2_u544tiwku_so.jpg

(lake placid blue...sorry Olly)

Why? :ninja: it's not exactly worth keeping original in its current state. bridge saddles, pickups, and all electronics have already been replaced. original neck is long gone as well.

plus, hooglebug will be doing the work, so...

It's not even fiesta red, it's more of a dakota red which is much more bold and somewhat blinding :( I do have that '62 reissue which is fiesta red. The one I'm considering refinishing is what I believe was the standard japanese strat of the late 80s

I would have done a burst finish, as I much prefer that over solid colors on a strat... but you never see burst finishes on basswood, and I'm wondering if there's a reason for that...

so i got james neck all polished up and looking lovely. i drill the holes for the tuner screws and start putting them in. all nice and dandy.

then the last screw.

fuck off last screw. you can bollock off you stupid weak little twatknocker.

yes, it couldnt handle being screwed into something. what a useless screw you are last screw. great stuff. now im going to have to dig you out you idiot.

so i got james neck all polished up and looking lovely. i drill the holes for the tuner screws and start putting them in. all nice and dandy.

then the last screw.

fuck off last screw. you can bollock off you stupid weak little twatknocker.

yes, it couldnt handle being screwed into something. what a useless screw you are last screw. great stuff. now im going to have to dig you out you idiot.

I've had that happen way too many times. Seems like some are stronger than others

i started making those holes only just small enough to grab. it's not like they need to take a huge load and like you say, they can be weak as hell if you have to crank them in.

yeah, the holes can handle only so much cranking and load before you break the screw.

hooglebug, will it be visible with the tuning machine installed? not really bothered if there's a bit of an imperfection

i did make them only just big enough. any bigger and they'd have slid in and out. stupid things are so weak. why dont they just make them stainless. stupids.

and james, i'll dig it out and put a plug in. you wont see it with the tuner on

sounds good

i'm wondering if we can put a finish that's a bit more special on this strat i'm sending you.

what about some sort of artwork? maybe even using the existing finish

image_26754.jpg

jh.jpg

not something exactly the same, but just to give you an idea.

would you be willing to give that sort of thing a try?

Archived