Proposition for New Born

mc269107

As we all have noticed by now, the Resistance tour stage setup detracts from Matt's encounters with the piano. One of my biggest grievances is how Morgan plays the intro to New Born. In my opinion, one of the greatest live aspects that coencides with New Born is Matt's transition from playing the piano and then scratching his guitar as he takes center stage for the riff. My question is why not move New Born to after Feeling Good, this way, Matt can play the intro (with the lasers) as the platform moves down allowing him to transition back onto the stage for the riff. No extra work is needed, the stage crew would have to move the piano back regardless. What do you guys think?

As we all have noticed by now, the Resistance tour stage setup detracts from Matt's encounters with the piano. One of my biggest grievances is how Morgan plays the intro to New Born. In my opinion, one of the greatest live aspects that coencides with New Born is Matt's transition from playing the piano and then scratching his guitar as he takes center stage for the riff. My question is why not move New Born to after Feeling Good, this way, Matt can play the intro (with the lasers) as the platform moves down allowing him to transition back onto the stage for the riff. No extra work is needed, the stage crew would have to move the piano back regardless. What do you guys think?

Don't worry mate, Matt could probably think of some excuse so he wouldn't have to play it anyway.

There is only one thing that can save New Born now; replace it with Unnatural Selection and stop bullshitting around.

Meh. If they started using backing tracks for the piano part I'd be all WTF also but that's not the case. I quite like what Morgan brings to the shows, might as well let him contribute where he can. Now if Morgan also started playing the piano section of B&H, that would detract from the show seeing as how cool that part is. On the other hand it's not like the New Born piano part sounds any better when Matt plays it, or does it?

Meh. If they started using backing tracks for the piano part I'd be all WTF also but that's not the case. I quite like what Morgan brings to the shows, might as well let him contribute where he can. Now if Morgan also started playing the piano section of B&H, that would detract from the show seeing as how cool that part is. On the other hand it's not like the New Born piano part sounds any better when Matt plays it, or does it?

If we're lucky enough to have them play Butterflies and Hurricanes next tour, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Matt piss about while Morgan plays the piano. We've already seen this with New Born. It's not kickass anymore, it's just a lame clapalong.

I know in a few interviews Matt said he doesn't like the restrictiveness of the piano during live shows and it doesn't yield to very much crowd interaction. Maybe they're slowly trying to eliminate it all together, or get Morgan to play it all? :unsure:

21st century solutions for age-old problems :awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2hUpBcbLSQ

Or if he really wants to shake his money maker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKrZiddRphw

On the other hand it's not like the New Born piano part sounds any better when Matt plays it, or does it?

It does.

I know in a few interviews Matt said he doesn't like the restrictiveness of the piano during live shows and it doesn't yield to very much crowd interaction. Maybe they're slowly trying to eliminate it all together, or get Morgan to play it all? :unsure:

Really? I was never overly rude bout Bellamy before, but srs. What a cunt.

Well done on completely misunderstanding his comments there. :)

At the moment, Morgan playing the piano looks slicker than the slightly transition it used to be.

Well done on completely misunderstanding his comments there. :)

I'm not saying they're trying to eliminate it from his music altogether, but just get Matt to play less piano onstage so he can engage the crowd a bit more.

Matt:

You see, in terms of live performance, the guitar is absolutely the most user-friendly instrument. There are not many other instruments that give you so much freedom to express yourself visually and tonally. A keyboard doesn’t let you have the same communication with the crowd. You can’t spin around. You can’t look at the crowd. You have to look at your hands all the time. I love the piano at home and in the studio, but I find it unbelievably restrictive onstage.

In fact, I’ve just had a custom keytar made that actually has strings on it [Editor’s note: Keytars are portable keyboards that a performer can strap on and play like a guitar.] Your left hand feels exactly as if it was playing a normal guitar, but when you put a finger on a string at a certain fret, a contact sends out a MIDI signal. For the right hand, in the place where you’d normally be strumming with a plectrum, I’ve inserted an actual piano keyboard— about one-and-a-half octaves. I think I’ll be able to play some quite interesting parts with this instrument!

Source: http://www.guitarplayer.com/article/breaking-mold-/July-2010/115851

They could come up with 100 workable ways to play New Born with Matt on piano - they've done it for the past 10 years without any problems. The simple reason isn't even laziness - that might be only marginally more tolerable than what I fear the actual reason is - it looks and flows better with Morgan doing it, so Matt isn't faffing around from one instrument to the next.

That's ironic, really, cos it doesn't actually do that, imo. It looked and sounded better with Matt performing and building up the transition from piano to guitar... it created more energy in the song, and as a fan in the crowd, got you even more hyped for the madness of the awesome riffage/moshing to come. They killed New Born live a long while ago, unfortunately. It's still one of my fave Muse songs ever, but not from the recent era live. That's their biggest fuck-up on this tour, and I'll happily slate them for it ;)

On the other hand it's not like the New Born piano part sounds any better when Matt plays it, or does it?

I couldn't say, but in any case the argument still stands. When people go to see Muse, they expect to see the band do what they do best, rather than having an extra performer play a part they could do themselves.

Anyway, I actually quite like the suggestion of playing it on keytar. New Born has been a staple of their live shows for so long, it could do with a change in the way they perform it.

I'm not saying they're trying to eliminate it from his music altogether, but just get Matt to play less piano onstage so he can engage the crowd a bit more.

He's just saying you can't put on a show playing piano compared to guitar. Has no relevance to how they play New Born.

He's just saying you can't put on a show playing piano compared to guitar. Has no relevance to how they play New Born.

I know. I didn't even mention New Born in my post. I was talking about Matt's piano playing in general, since everyone else began talking about Morgan taking the larger chunk of live piano playing... :wtf:

They could come up with 100 workable ways to play New Born with Matt on piano - they've done it for the past 10 years without any problems. The simple reason isn't even laziness - that might be only marginally more tolerable than what I fear the actual reason is - it looks and flows better with Morgan doing it, so Matt isn't faffing around from one instrument to the next.

That's ironic, really, cos it doesn't actually do that, imo. It looked and sounded better with Matt performing and building up the transition from piano to guitar... it created more energy in the song, and as a fan in the crowd, got you even more hyped for the madness of the awesome riffage/moshing to come. They killed New Born live a long while ago, unfortunately. It's still one of my fave Muse songs ever, but not from the recent era live. That's their biggest fuck-up on this tour, and I'll happily slate them for it ;)

Exactly. I agree 100%. One of the most exciting aspects is watching the multi-instrumental talent of Matthew Bellamy (not that New Born is hard at all), but its a thousand times more exciting (because Matt is the face of the band) when Matt plays the intro.

Personally, I don't care whether matt plays it or not. The best time I've seen it live was Sheffield Arena in November and he didn't play it then, so I don't really see what the big fuss about.

I'd just be glad to hear it live, as they didn't play it the last two times i saw them and it doesnt seem to be a staple in the setlist anymore.

It was a big part of the buildup.

Anyway, like I've said many times before: Just drop New Born for Unnatural Selection and be done with it.

It's still played though, just not by Matt. Be thankful it's not a sample being looped or something.

New Born should never be dropped from their set, though the evidence points to it probably being rotated with another song now. Thankfully, it IS Unnatural Selection.

It's still played though, just not by Matt. Be thankful it's not a sample being looped or something.

New Born should never be dropped from their set, though the evidence points to it probably being rotated with another song now. Thankfully, it IS Unnatural Selection.

Yes, it's still played, but what point does it serve when Matt's just pissing about with his hands in the air doing the patented Starlight/Guiding Light-clap?

Yes, it's still played, but what point does it serve when Matt's just pissing about with his hands in the air doing the patented Starlight/Guiding Light-clap?

What does it matter? The song is being played, that should be enough I would imagine. Quit worrying about where Matt waves his hands and what not. Maybe Matt just doesn't want to be bothered, and it's probably way easier to just have Morgan start it and continue it from there. During most of the American shows, if it's played, he's on top of the pillar and it descends. That's an obvious reason why he won't play it.

Archived