NewsOK: Chris Wolstenholme Interview – “We Are Basically A School Band”

a-museing

http://erato1.wordpress.com/

BY GENE TRIPLETT, Entertainment Editor

Seldom have so few made such a “supermassive” sound.

Muse, comprised of three British boyhood mates — Matt Bellamy, Dom Howard and Chris Wolstenholme — is a little old band from Teignmouth, Devon that creates dense, majestic, arena-size anthems and apocalyptic lyrical visions of an ambition and scope that grant them bragging rights as the 21st century’s resounding answer to prog-rock power trios of the past (think Emerson Lake and Palmer and Rush), while adding their own modern edge.

“The Resistance” is the most recent recorded evidence of their grandiose zeal, with Bellamy’s distressed, Thom Yorke-like tenor scaling new heights of operatic emotion while his masterful fingers flash all over fretboards and keyboards, drummer Howard bringing the epic thunder, and bassist Wolstenholme contributing to the layered harmonies while weaving a busy bottom line. The group even went so far as to hire a 40-piece orchestra to realize the classically influenced three-song suite, “Exogenesis: Symphony Part 1 (Overture),” “Exogenesis: Symphony Part 2 (Cross-Pollination),” and “Exogenesis: Symphony Part 3.”

But when Muse take the stage at the Ford Center on Oct. 8, don’t expect to hear the whole of that sprawling work. Even with today’s high technology, not all studio performances can be reproduced in live settings.

“I mean, in all honesty, it’s probably one of the reasons why we haven’t actually played ‘Part 2’ and ‘Part 3’ of the symphony live yet,” Wolstenholme said in a recent phone interview from San Diego, the first stop on the North American leg of Muse’s endless world tour.

“I think sometimes there are certain strings and orchestra things that can be produced electronically, but we kind of thought with those two songs the main focus was on the orchestra. I think the difference with other songs is that the focus has always been the band, and the orchestra’s always acted as the backdrop.

“I think sometimes when you go out and write a song that is practically all-out classical music, it’s very, very difficult to take that to the stage without having an extra 40 people right behind you onstage. And obviously to tour with those numbers of people is unrealistic.”

But Muse can handily recreate all the other songs from “The Resistance,” as well as past albums such as “Showbiz” (1999), “Origin of Symmetry” (2001), “Absolution” (2003) and “Black Holes and Revelations” (2006).

Take, for example, “Undisclosed Desires,” a song that stands out on the new album for its electro-sheen instrumentation, the sexual suspense of its lyrics and Wolstenholme’s funky slap bass underscoring it all.

“We’ve always been very, very keen to open up as many of these doors as possible with songs, like on ‘The Resistance,’” Wolstenholme said. “Like the song ‘Undisclosed Desires,’ which is the one song which kind of completely shoots off in a different direction. But obviously that direction needs to be explored further in the future.

“On ‘Black Holes and Revelations’ it was probably ‘Supermassive Black Hole.’ And I think there are always certain songs like that where we really kind of push the boat out and try, I guess try to shock people, really,” he said. “Try and write something that people listen to and go, ‘Wow, that’s totally out there for this band.’”

Although Bellamy is the chief songwriter, Howard and Wolstenholme bring their own ideas to the table when it comes time to shape a song into its final form. And for the recording of “The Resistance,” the three chose to produce themselves for the first time, a course that has ended in the self-destruction of other bands for the resulting disagreements over technical and creative issues.

But not everyone has been playing together since they were 13 years old.

“I think the three of us know each other so well,” Wolstenholme said. “Being in a band is kind of like a marriage, and in a marriage you have to be able to fall out and you have to be able to argue, but you kiss and make up again, you know? It’s much more difficult to do that with people that you don’t know so well. If you fall out, you walk out and that’s it.

“So I think in a sense being friends and that history between us is something that’s very, very important to the band. I mean all three of us are very, very different people. We all have our own interests outside of the band. But I think that’s something that makes this band quite special, the fact that we are basically a school band.”

Take, for example, “Undisclosed Desires,” a song that stands out on the new album for its electro-sheen instrumentation, the sexual suspense of its lyrics and Wolstenholme’s funky slap bass underscoring it all.

:chuckle:

...sexual suspense of its lyrics ....

“I think the three of us know each other so well,” Wolstenholme said. “Being in a band is kind of like a marriage, and in a marriage you have to be able to fall out and you have to be able to argue, but you kiss and make up again, you know? It’s much more difficult to do that with people that you don’t know so well. If you fall out, you walk out and that’s it.

“So I think in a sense being friends and that history between us is something that’s very, very important to the band. I mean all three of us are very, very different people. We all have our own interests outside of the band. But I think that’s something that makes this band quite special, the fact that we are basically a school band.”

This is so sweet and Chris is uber awesome as usual :D:chris:

http://erato1.wordpress.com/

BY GENE TRIPLETT, Entertainment Editor

Seldom have so few made such a “supermassive” sound.

Muse, comprised of three British boyhood mates — Matt Bellamy, Dom Howard and Chris Wolstenholme — is a little old band from Teignmouth, Devon that creates dense, majestic, arena-size anthems and apocalyptic lyrical visions of an ambition and scope that grant them bragging rights as the 21st century’s resounding answer to prog-rock power trios of the past (think Emerson Lake and Palmer and Rush), while adding their own modern edge.

“The Resistance” is the most recent recorded evidence of their grandiose zeal, with Bellamy’s distressed, Thom Yorke-like tenor scaling new heights of operatic emotion while his masterful fingers flash all over fretboards and keyboards, drummer Howard bringing the epic thunder, and bassist Wolstenholme contributing to the layered harmonies while weaving a busy bottom line. The group even went so far as to hire a 40-piece orchestra to realize the classically influenced three-song suite, “Exogenesis: Symphony Part 1 (Overture),” “Exogenesis: Symphony Part 2 (Cross-Pollination),” and “Exogenesis: Symphony Part 3.”

But when Muse take the stage at the Ford Center on Oct. 8, don’t expect to hear the whole of that sprawling work. Even with today’s high technology, not all studio performances can be reproduced in live settings.

“I mean, in all honesty, it’s probably one of the reasons why we haven’t actually played ‘Part 2’ and ‘Part 3’ of the symphony live yet,” Wolstenholme said in a recent phone interview from San Diego, the first stop on the North American leg of Muse’s endless world tour.

“I think sometimes there are certain strings and orchestra things that can be produced electronically, but we kind of thought with those two songs the main focus was on the orchestra. I think the difference with other songs is that the focus has always been the band, and the orchestra’s always acted as the backdrop.

“I think sometimes when you go out and write a song that is practically all-out classical music, it’s very, very difficult to take that to the stage without having an extra 40 people right behind you onstage. And obviously to tour with those numbers of people is unrealistic.”

But Muse can handily recreate all the other songs from “The Resistance,” as well as past albums such as “Showbiz” (1999), “Origin of Symmetry” (2001), “Absolution” (2003) and “Black Holes and Revelations” (2006).

“We’ve always been very, very keen to open up as many of these doors as possible with songs, like on ‘The Resistance,’” Wolstenholme said. “Like the song ‘Undisclosed Desires,’ which is the one song which kind of completely shoots off in a different direction. But obviously that direction needs to be explored further in the future.

“On ‘Black Holes and Revelations’ it was probably ‘Supermassive Black Hole.’ And I think there are always certain songs like that where we really kind of push the boat out and try, I guess try to shock people, really,” he said. “Try and write something that people listen to and go, ‘Wow, that’s totally out there for this band.’”

Although Bellamy is the chief songwriter, Howard and Wolstenholme bring their own ideas to the table when it comes time to shape a song into its final form. And for the recording of “The Resistance,” the three chose to produce themselves for the first time, a course that has ended in the self-destruction of other bands for the resulting disagreements over technical and creative issues.

But not everyone has been playing together since they were 13 years old.

Thanks for that!;)

Thanks for sharing!

:happy:Well said Chris ;)

Awww, maybe someday they will find 40 musicians to tour with them so that we can finally hear full Exo! :LOL: I understand why they really can't, but can you imagine how amazing that would be? *sigh*

I agree with what others have already said, this part was really sweet and super awesome. Not many people have the luxury of living out their lifelong dreams and spending their professional career alongside their closest friends, who can all support/understand eachother and help along the way. I think the fact that they have such a strong personal and professional relationship with each other is a real key factor in why they are so successful as a band :happy::musesign:

Great interview, thanks for sharing!! :)

Awww, maybe someday they will find 40 musicians to tour with them so that we can finally hear full Exo! :LOL: I understand why they really can't, but can you imagine how amazing that would be? *sigh*

I volunteer! I'll even pay for my own plane tickets if I must. XD

Archived