Muse Inspired Me to Play the Piano Again

mc269107

Growing up, I can honestly say I never had a favorite band, in fact, listening to the radio just aggravated me. All you ever seem to hear is the same generic rock and pop over and over again. Honestly, when people would say "so and so" is there favorite band, it would just piss me off and drive me away from music becuase nothing special separated that band from the rest of the crowd. I'll admit, the first band that I actually truly liked was Coldplay, they struck me as somewhat different, and what I liked most was there constant and nice incorporation of piano into their music. If i thought this was good, I had no idea what unbelievable music was about to head my way.

The first song I heard by Muse was New Born, I was instantly hooked after hearing the first 3 notes of the opening piano riff. My obsession with this band now is beyond levels that I could ever imagine. I never saw myself as someone that would have a favorite band, Muse changed that, and in turn, inspired to continue playing piano.

Looking back at what I wrote, I may be a bit harsh towards other music, but I've always liked my dad's music (Genesis and Peter Gabriel) and a good amount of classical music (chopin). But Muse has led me to many good things, including a continued habbit of playing piano, and even Radiohead lol. Take a look at my cover of Map of the Problematique if you're interested, it starts of with slow piano and then I bring in a backing track to suppor the piano. Let me know what you guys think, I really appreciate feedback form die hard Muse fans.

Btw, I am very excited for back to back shows in Cincinnati and Columbus Ohio this coming October.

Also, please don't delete this, feedback and hearing your stories would mean a lot to me.

I know exactly what you mean. Muse inspired me to write more songs. I'm Even writing a book based on conspiracy theories because of them. I want to take singing lessons, learn to play bass and play the piano again because of them. So I completely understand what you mean(:

You should definetely try to pursue those instruments, especially piano..lol. But there are many great basslines to be had too, as we all know.

What I forgot to mention most in my first post, and I'm not sure how I forgot this since it was one of the biggest turn ons for me is Muse's ability to perform there songs live and have it sound better than it does in the studio. They are the first band that I saw that could actually nail the difficult instrumental parts and hit the high notes singing, etc. The only other band that truly sounds better live than in the studio that I knew of was Dave Matthews, and they're a jam band, that's beside the point. I don't think I'll ever see a band that performs better and brings better energy and intensity to a live performance. The whole switch off that Matt does from piano to guitar in songs like New Born and Butterflies and Hurricanes, and Citizens Erased, its just really exciting to see.

Thanks for replying guys. Keep the stories coming, its interesting to hear.

I can definately relate to a lot of what you said. I also became hooked on Muse after listening to one song. :D Matt definately inspires me to keep playing piano.

Great cover. :happy: I play piano but I can never figure out how to play songs by ear. I always need sheet music. :$

New Born is the song that got me into Muse, and Space Dementia is the song that inspired me to play piano after about 7 years of not playing it. But I quickly realized that SD was way too hard :LOL: and learned New Born and Exogenesis 3. Hopefully I'll be able to play SD soon...

Basically, Muse taught me that piano isn't limited to just classical music, like I originally thought. It just made piano a hell of a lot more interesting.

I'm also going to attempt to learn bass soon, so wish me luck!

That was a great cover! :D Actually I'm still listening to it, but... XD So far it's awesome!

This actually reminds me, my friend once said, "Every time I listen to Muse it just makes me really want to learn how to play the guitar/piano/drums/bass." I, and I'm sure many others, feel exactly the same way.

Personally I've played piano since I was 5 and never actually stopped... but somehow after discovering Muse it's becoming so much more enjoyable and my playing itself has become much freer, being less afraid to make mistakes and just play the hell out of the instrument... :)

And well, so far Muse is fueling my attempts to learn guitar for the 298 time. :LOL:

That was a really pretty cover! :)

I plan on starting piano soon. I played it a bit before but there were really no songs or "style" of music that I liked. I'll probably only be able to play the very simple Muse songs like New Born but I'd still like to give it a go. (I have absolutely no musically ability at all :facepalm::LOL:)

And again, that was a really really pretty cover of MotP! One of the best I have heard :happy:

New Born is the song that got me into Muse, and Space Dementia is the song that inspired me to play piano after about 7 years of not playing it. But I quickly realized that SD was way too hard :LOL: and learned New Born and Exogenesis 3. Hopefully I'll be able to play SD soon...

Basically, Muse taught me that piano isn't limited to just classical music, like I originally thought. It just made piano a hell of a lot more interesting.

I'm also going to attempt to learn bass soon, so wish me luck!

Yea Space Dementia is a really fun song to play. And it sounds awesome. You should keep trying it, once you get the pattern down its not bad at all.

That was a really pretty cover! :)

I plan on starting piano soon. I played it a bit before but there were really no songs or "style" of music that I liked. I'll probably only be able to play the very simple Muse songs like New Born but I'd still like to give it a go. (I have absolutely no musically ability at all :facepalm::LOL:)

And again, that was a really really pretty cover of MotP! One of the best I have heard :happy:

Thanks for the compliment. and yea, new born would be a good one to start out with. The Gallery is pretty easy too, though it depends on how you play it I guess. Exogenesis III isn't a bad one to try either.

I've wanted to learn how to play piano since I can remember, but never got a chance to do it :(

Was singing in a choir for a change.

Now, I finally decided that time is running out (hahaha) and I'm starting my lessons in September :)

Ps. Muse had also a lot to do with that ;)

And I love that cover :) MotP is one of my favourite songs :)

I can definately relate to a lot of what you said. I also became hooked on Muse after listening to one song. :D Matt definately inspires me to keep playing piano.

Great cover. :happy: I play piano but I can never figure out how to play songs by ear. I always need sheet music. :$

Creating a very psychedelic effect on the music, many artists followed The Beatles use of the sitar and Indian instruments. Musicians such as The Rolling Stones (Paint It Black), The Lemon Pipers (Green Tambourine), Donovan (Hurdy Gurdy Man) all found inspiration through the sitar. Great!

online television

online games to play free

You should definetely try to pursue those instruments, especially piano..lol. But there are many great basslines to be had too, as we all know.

What I forgot to mention most in my first post, and I'm not sure how I forgot this since it was one of the biggest turn ons for me is Muse's ability to perform there songs live and have it sound better than it does in the studio. They are the first band that I saw that could actually nail the difficult instrumental parts and hit the high notes singing, etc. The only other band that truly sounds better live than in the studio that I knew of was Dave Matthews, and they're a jam band, that's beside the point. I don't think I'll ever see a band that performs better and brings better energy and intensity to a live performance. The whole switch off that Matt does from piano to guitar in songs like New Born and Butterflies and Hurricanes, and Citizens Erased, its just really exciting to see.

Thanks for replying guys. Keep the stories coming, its interesting to hear.

i definitely want piano lessons of all. haha.

and i know, Muse is amazing live. i've never seen them live unfortunately, but just by seeing video's and stuff, they're REALLY good.

• 3 weeks later...

I messed about with the piano at school but never really did much with it but muse have changed that. I'm so amazed when I hear the piano parts in their music that I took it up again. I don't know if they really know how their music has touch so many people. I'm an artist and a lot of they work has inspired what and how I paint. I think without them I would lose some of my imagination. I suppose they are my muse in a way!

Archived