Melbourne Rod Laver Arena!

Claireness

m69.png

This is to the people asking me about the photos I took: I put a few of the photos I got up on the last.fm flickr thing, they haven't showed up in the tags yet though. Otherwise, I've got about 70 pictures from the concert on my myspace, as well as a few short videos including one of Matt playing that weird happy piano song before "Feeling Good". You can probably find the video's by searching "muse rod laver" on the video section on myspace.

I haven't uploaded the photos onto photobucket or anywhere else yet though, because I've been flat out studying for my final year 12 exam on Wednesday.

Oh, and did anyone read the review of the concert in The Age today? It was so awful!

wow, sounds like you had a good time, smuffy ;)

speaking of high-pitched squealing, at the end of every song and every five seconds before the encore, I was screaming so loud, so high and so long that the woman in front of me kept putting her hands over her ears. lol

I was surrounded by a bunch of oldies who weren't even singing along (damn them!). My friend could pick me out from ages away because there was this bunch of people just nodding their heads a little and then there was me going absolutely MENTAL.

If this article doesn't get you angry, I don't know what will...

"Having released its last album Black Holes and Revelations almost 18 months ago, the band has been on a steep ascent since.

However, Thursday's show is Melbourne failed to improve on the tight, visually impressive display that was offered at its last Melbourne show, at Festival Hall in January. While that show was played in stifling conditions, it was a more compelling and visceral performance.

The band is renowned for a lack of on-stage camaraderie with Bellamy, ever the egoist, perceptibly running the show and his band falling in line behind him....Black Holes is an ambitious, if overblown, prog-rock record and the band managed to clinically demonstrate most of its best parts on Thursday. ...The nights most bewildering moment had the diminutive frontman storming off stage as he was preparing to start a song.

Bellamy returned with a sound technician a few minutes later, while his band mates remained frozen on the spot, seemingly as curious as the audience was about Bellamy's "sound issues".

For a moment, it appeared that the show might be canceled.

Eventually, Bellamy unapologeticaly sat down behind his piano and began playing again. The problem was never explained to the confused audience.

That's not to say the show wasn't without some genuinely thrilling moments. Starlight, Time is Running Out, Supermassive Black Hole, and Hysteria, and the excellent Plug in Baby managed to capture all that is great about the band, loopy lyrics and all, into four-minute pop songs.

It's just sometimes a bumpy ride getting there"

WTF?? "Pop songs"? And that the Festy Hall show was a "more compelling and visceral performance"?

Omg. What the fuck?! Who wrote the article?! Thanks for posting it tessamused, thanks for letting everyone there're such dickheads out there. Geez! Bellamy wasn't storming off stage, and even if he was, it was to make sure the sound was good for the audience. Oh my God. I still can't believe this shit. Starlight wasn't fucking thrilling, Starlight was the norm. Geez. Pop songs... bloody hell. This writer needs a fucking slapping to wake him/her up. Who wrote it?

Omg. What the fuck?! Who wrote the article?! Thanks for posting it tessamused, thanks for letting everyone there're such dickheads out there. Geez! Bellamy wasn't storming off stage, and even if he was, it was to make sure the sound was good for the audience. Oh my God. I still can't believe this shit. Starlight wasn't fucking thrilling, Starlight was the norm. Geez. Pop songs... bloody hell. This writer needs a fucking slapping to wake him/her up. Who wrote it?

Andrew Murfett was the "reviewer", I feel like writing in to them and complaining about the article! :mad: And it was even worse, because the photo he put of Matt is one of when he was sort of pouting, with the text underneath saying "Muse frontman Mat [yes, with one t] Bellamy stormed off stage over 'sound issues' during the band's Thursday night performance, which did contain some thrilling moments"

Andrew Murfett was the "reviewer", I feel like writing in to them and complaining about the article! :mad: And it was even worse, because the photo he put of Matt is one of when he was sort of pouting, with the text underneath saying "Muse frontman Mat [yes, with one t] Bellamy stormed off stage over 'sound issues' during the band's Thursday night performance, which did contain some thrilling moments"

What?!?!?! That's just wrong! Mat Bellamy. Geez... I'd seriously like to complain about the article as well, but I just need the actual article in hand, damnit. Tried searching the college for today's The Age, but meh, came up with nothing. Argh! If anyone could scan it in or something, it would be awesome. If not, I'll just keep searching. Urgh. This makes me angry. :mad:

not at all :) i've only got it on private because of some rather interesting messages i've been sent from 40 year old men haha :stunned:

lol, i think everyone on the forums that reads that and has a myspace will try to add you now :p

oh and btw, most of the photos that you have put are are frinken awesome thanks :D

That review was utter shite. Seriously, this guy can't even spell Matt's name correctly, how can he be expected to have a credible view of the show?:mad: I wasn't at the Festy Hall gigs, but Thursday was easily the best concert I have ever been to.

The set list was great, the visuals were stunning and the way all of them click to make an amazing act is simply extraordinary. I wasn't really after an explanation of the sound problems Matt was having. They weren't frozen in place, they were just waiting for the problems to be fixed. Still correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Dom interacting with the audience instead of Matt, as always? And Dom explained that they were having sound problems anyway!

I don't think those small mishaps detracted from the experience. I was drawn in from start to finish (and got really into the music with my yelling, screaming and almost-moshing in the seated zone, much to the horror of my friend:LOL:)

I'm still inexplicably high from it, but at the same time, shattered that they probably won't be back for at least another year. Oh well, that's what the Wembley DVD will be for.

Twats, clearly have no idea what they're on about!!

Tessamused you got some WICKED pics, you should be a photographer? (Oh, btw, I added you to myspace so I could have a look at your pics!)

I've uploaded my Invincible video to youtube, but I think it's still processing or something? I dunno, I added it like an hour ago and still can't watch it. Is that normal?

Setlist:

Take A Bow

MOTP

New Born

Butterflies and Hurricanes

Micro Cuts

Supermassive Black Hole

Feelin Good

Apocalypse Please (In place of Ruled By Secrecy)

Soldier's Poem

Invincible

Hysteria

Fury

Starlight

Time is Running Out

Stockholm Syndrome/Dead Star/The Groove outro

------

Plug In Baby

The Groove

Knights of Cydonia

I know there were some riffs in there as well, Led Zeppelin and Queen lol! Can't remember exact location of them though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugEpysJ76IY

^^My Invincible vid. Quality of the video is horrendous, and we were quite a way back, but the sound quality could be worse.

Setlist:

Take A Bow

MOTP

New Born

Micro Cuts

Supermassive Black Hole

Feelin Good

Soldier's Poem

Invincible

Hysteria

Fury

Starlight

Time is Running Out

------

Plug In Baby

The Groove

Knights of Cydonia

"the groove outro" was actually the hyper music riff

fuck thats a good list. even though it didnt have bliss/assassin/CE it still worked fucking well :happy:

Setlist:

Take A Bow

MOTP

New Born

Micro Cuts

Supermassive Black Hole

Feelin Good

Soldier's Poem

Invincible

Hysteria

Fury

Starlight

Time is Running Out

------

Plug In Baby

The Groove

Knights of Cydonia

I know there were some riffs in there as well, Led Zeppelin and Queen lol! Can't remember exact location of them though.

Thanks. You're my hero of the day. I salute you.

Full review in The Age attached (I think l0stwhispers asked for it). I thought it was an acceptable review. I accept that there might not have been a single person in the department who liked Muse (shock horror). Although the reviewer didn't like Muse, at least he made an effort to point out the positives. What really bugs me, though, is that the reviewer wants Muse to be something they clearly don't aspire to. Criticising Muse for being overblown is silly -- it's what they're aiming for. Praising Muse for condensing their goodness into 'pop' songs is silly. Muse has metallic riffs? That's a new one. Muse has superficial lyrics? Eh, actually I'm half-inclined to agree with that one, except I'd say unemotional instead of superficial (don't shoot me); detached =/= superficial... I agree that the delay should have been explained. Matt running the show? Egoist? Which other band has their drummer as spokesman?

All of the above is just my opinion though. On the other hand 'Mat' Bellamy is inexcusable.

Great pictures, tessamused. Thanks so much!

EDIT: am not writing letter to the editor because while i wish Murfett were less biased, everyone's entitled to their taste in music and free speech... I can't actually criticise him (aside from 'Mat').

musereview.thumb.jpg.344f2988a1d252cda478784263dfed7d.jpg

Archived