What personally disturbs me about Matt's interest in the subject is my fear that he'll put his foot in it in an interview' date=' and will be taken to task in the mainstream media for a [i']perceived[/i] anti-semitism. The resulting stain to his reputation could end up costing him (and his bandmates, let's not forget) literally millions of dollars and much public goodwill. (I personally feel he's very likely innocent of this, but his enduring fascination with conspiracy-theory lit and, now, the "usury" issue do give me pause.)

What makes you even go off on these tangents?:LOL:

I suppose anyone that knows such an in depth history of the term "usury" would suspect Matt for being a preceived anti-semite. Oh wait no, that's just you.

I have a headache. I failed high school economics. And I haven't even watched the interview yet! :LOL:

That part is a tiny part of the actual interview. :LOL:

It's quite funny, imo. :p

(and yeah, that conversation gave me a headache, too. :p)

What makes you even go off on these tangents?:LOL:

I suppose anyone that knows such an in depth history of the term "usury" would suspect Matt for being a preceived anti-semite. Oh wait no, that's just you.

:rolleyes: I can't be held responsible for your persistent failures in reading comprehension.

I do hope, though, that somebody has a little talk with Matt about this so that he WON'T commit a faux pas... as responses to this thread show, some people really have no clue as to the history of usury (and he may be one of them) in western thought....

I have a headache. I failed high school economics. And I haven't even watched the interview yet! :LOL:

I'm sorry, Renee... I also have a headache, but it's due to this infernal heat (103 degrees in Central Park today!).

:rolleyes: I can't be held responsible for your persistent failures in reading comprehension.

I do hope, though, that somebody has a little talk with Matt about this so that he WON'T commit a faux pas... as responses to this thread show, some people really have no clue as to the history of usury (and he may be one of them) in western thought....

Your inane attempts at trying to sound intelligent in this topic is your issue, not any failure in my part in reading comprehension. :LOL:

Just reading on the topic of Islamic banking, and it's actually more of a modern thing (1940s) and it is becoming fairly popular in a lot of countries (including the US). So I'm pretty sure most of those people that follow and agree with Islamic banking have nothing to do with hating Jewish people. Stop talking about the term "usury". The only people that care to bring up the term are those who are too crazed about anti-semitism conspiracy crap. Don't look into it so deeply, Matt, and nobody else does.

Did I logged into the correct thread? :eek: just kidding I'm not that good in economics, but I guess everybody's opinion is valid :D

Thanks for posting this interview... :party:

The clips are very nice, but the crowd don't look really into Muse... I'd have been bouncing to those 3 songs :rolleyes: I guess it's because it was a festival..

Did I logged into the correct thread? :eek: just kidding I'm not that good in economics, but I guess everybody's opinion is valid .

With you in all that! :)

Wow! An interesting interview and economics lesson all in one thread.

You all shared interesting theories. I'm with Musse, I don't know much about the ins and outs of it all, something to look into though.

. Thanks for posting the interview. :)

Another good interview. Thanks. :D Enjoyed the clips too. :D I think I like the idea of it being illegal to lend money with interest. I doubt it would ever happen in the West though.

I don't mind the idea of someone trying something new with lending practices, something that works out better for everyone in the long run, but I really hate the idea of making it illegal to do otherwise. If lending without interest is the best way to do things, then let banks do it and compete with the ones charging interest and let the best idea win out.

I, for one, would rather have a loan with no interest than a loan with one, so its not as though you wouldn't be offering something that seems appealing to people.

I bristle at the idea of making something illegal because someone thinks it's wrong or thinks there's a better way. If you have a better way, then do it, and if it really is better, it'll catch on. On the other hand, if the only way for your plan to work is to make it illegal to do anything other than your plan, than how good can the plan be in the first place? ;)

I think that while I have now googled this and I see that there is something said vaguely about anti-semetic links to the word, I don't know whether that is more of a concern amongst Jewish communities. Overall though the term appears to be modernly applied and widely used to indicate extortionate rates of interest and maybe that is what Matt is referring to rather than all kinds of interest.

Whatever, the problem with banks and debt seems to me much bigger than the fear of inadvertantly offending a few people and I welcome Matt introducing the subject. One aspect I have thought of is the amount of interest charged on visas which lands people in spiralling debt problems, simply because they don't have enough money and therefore are using the never never to live off when it runs out at the end of the month. Then of course they are slaves to their employers, because they have so many bills to pay, and it just gets a bit rich when the government themselves end up propping up the banks with billions of pounds of tax payers money, in amounts that couldn't be dreamed of for paying for services, and then have to cut the services the people have been paying for through the long hours they have been working, because the banks have been lending money which they haven't even got. It blows my mind. It's just horrendous.

People I think have spoken about banks charging interest in order to pay money to savers, but as I understand, it's not that simple anymore. It's not a matter of money being paid in by some people and lent out to others. It's all tied up in money markets and as I said interest being levied on money that doesn't actually exist, because the bank has it on loan from another bank which has in on loan from another etc etc. I apologise if my understanding is simplistic. But a suggestion that has been made is that the domestic banking system should be separated from the investment side, and go back to a simple system, when money which has been deposited is lent and interest rates simply reflect overheads rather than being a way to cream huge profits out of ordinary people.

Basically, people should be put before profit. It does seem to me that people are becoming mere insignificant cogs in something which really has zilch importance in comparison when you think of it. There's all this concentration on the economy but who is it serving really? And consumerism is tied into all this because it's consumption which fuels everything. As ordinary people we are presented with a bewildering erray of products. It's mindblowing. The freemarket ideal is not producing freedom in my view, it's producing chaos, confusion and struggle.

Sorry if that's a confusing ramble and not particularly well thought out for those who have deeper knowledge of economics and stuff. It's based on feelings rather than facts and figures. But it's those kind of feelings that I feel Matt is attempting to represent, and personally I admire him for that. I admire him for caring.

Awesome live clips!

Nice interview too..."would you ever consider smashing a piano?" hahahaha :)

I can't even imagine that :)

I know someone that accidentally snapped a few strings in his piano. :LOL: Goodness knows how he managed that one. :LOL:

Archived