Hysteria on guitar

sonofsparda

hey guys im curious tho to see if im doing well or not but ive been properly playin roughly around 7 months or so and i started leaning hysteria on sunday by that night i could do the main riff , and they chorus, i also play the bass for verse 2 as i think it sounds good on the guitar too i kinda had a grasp on that sunday night couldnt play it great , but on monday afternoon i had it down decent and today i have it down good still could be cleaner but that will improve in time i know and there a few mins ago i got the 2nd half of the solo down decent too still errors , so im wondering how long did you take you guys to learn this song fully , i never had lessons either , this is prob one of muses tougher songs too i think so let me know guys :)

I wouldn't say its one of Muse's tougher song, it's pretty simple once you get it down although the first bit of the solo is the trickiest bit of the song. Probably took me a few hours or so to learn and play well, I think it was one of the first songs I learnt completely all those years ago. Keep at it and you will get there soon enough!

thanks yeah i came accross loads of vids on youtube of people not hitting the open strings i think it sounds too empty that way it needs every note i think il practice that one after im finished with hysteria its an easier song all in all i guess cause hysteria has more in it ,ss just has a tougher riff

haha dont worry im sure i wont do the solo great ill make alot of errors but in due time it just happens the 2nd half is really easy tho which is good just the fast bit thats tough :), SMBH is still im my opionion there easiest first song i ever learnt on my guitar :)

For Stockholm Syndrome riff I found it very easy when I changed the way I was trying tolearn it. Instead of focusing on the fret hand and trying to coordinate the pickup hand with it, I just applied a constant alternate picking speed first, concentrate on that and in not changing the right tempo for it, and then try to coordinate the fret hand with it.

yeah i like that strategy i did that with the hysteria bass riff on the guitar i just had the right hand do a certain speed then use the left hand , still kinda make mistakes tho cause my co ordination isnt perfect il upload a quick version of my cover to see what you guys think granted its not gonna be great but oh well

The only bit I alternate on is the intro... personal preferance

you can downpick the solo at the proper speed...holy fuck :O

I know Bellamy does like downpicking for almost everything, no idea why though, alternate so much easier...

I know Bellamy does like downpicking for almost everything, no idea why though, alternate so much easier...

I reckon it might give an ever so slightly more staccato ish sound?

I couldnt do downstrokes all the way through but ach well :LOL:

It takes practice, before hand, down strokes are a lot easier.

It just seems more natural to me, I can never alternate individual strings, it sounds horrid

It sounds basically the same?

im with luke i downpick pretty much everything i can granted maybe iu should of learning alternate picking much earlier like i do downpick the solo from start to end only part i alt in this is the bass riff and the pre solo and outro riff , why cause when its downpicked i think it sounds a little muffled im sure it can be done well all down picks but i cant do that well , the solo is all down for me alt pickin on the g to e string confuses me and i will always always hit the b string by accident ,

I always found downstroking had a more attack-y sound while alternate would sound more fluent and less aggressive. I downstroke most of Muses heavy riffs(Apart from like SS ect because of it's speed.). It does really help when things get fast though.

Archived