Muse's Policy Regarding Fan Photography

Alendi

Heya!

Just a few questions about Muse's policy regarding photography. Are fans allowed to bring DSLRs, and if so, what is the maximum focal length lens and/or size of telephoto equipment allowed?

Cheers

_E

Okay, so I'll check with the venue then. I've shot concerts with DSLRs before, and there seems to be a bit of confusion with regards to this. For a NiN concert, the band gave stipulations that the length of the lenses could be no longer than 10 inches, but there was a miscommunication with the venue, and they gave me grief but did not eject me from the premises.

Okay, so I'll check with the venue then. I've shot concerts with DSLRs before, and there seems to be a bit of confusion with regards to this. For a NiN concert, the band gave stipulations that the length of the lenses could be no longer than 10 inches, but there was a miscommunication with the venue, and they gave me grief but did not eject me from the premises.

for the three shows I saw here in the states it was no professional cameras with detachable lens. Point and Shoot only, also lens could be no longer than 3 inches. Also depends on security, lax at some venues (like MSG) they didn't even bother to look. But also, once inside the staff was watching throughout the nite.

As mentioned it depends on the venue's policy really. Even if the band is more lax the venue might not be.. So calling ahead is ur best bet.. Also, noticed what is written on the websites of the venues isn't always correct. At least two listed no cameras allowed but when I called they said its ok for point and shoot...etc.

How about bigger than normal P&S's? I usually take my photos with a small point & shoot, but I just got this as an early bday present and I really want to bring it:

nikon-coolpix-p100.jpg

...but I'm afraid they will think it's professional or too big. I'm planning on bringing my little cybershot just in case. Anyone been successful in taking pictures at shows with a bigger than normal P&S without being harassed by security?

How about bigger than normal P&S's? I usually take my photos with a small point & shoot, but I just got this as an early bday present and I really want to bring it:

nikon-coolpix-p100.jpg

...but I'm afraid they will think it's professional or too big. I'm planning on bringing my little cybershot just in case. Anyone been successful in taking pictures at shows with a bigger than normal P&S without being harassed by security?

I took my Fuji S5500 http://www.itreviews.co.uk/hardware/h734.htm with no problems -

I don't bother with a "camera bag" I put it in my handbag that straps across my body and carry extra card and batteries, just in case. HTH.

• 3 weeks later...

Depends on venue and promoter really. Check the small print on the ticket and signs around the gig. Most tend to say no photography though with no clarification.

Don't think the band have much say in it. Though seems to be a fair bit of tolerance (if not encouragement) for gig photos all over the net, here and on the official site.

Likewise with videos, although post them on the net and Warner can get in a tizz about it, especially on YouTube.

Seen SLRs turned away at a couple of Muse gigs though, and one case of someone hauled off mid-gig with their SLR.

• 1 year later...

Gigs are often played in private venues, which means it is based on permission being given by the band to be photographed or videoed (The paparazzi can only photograph people in public places for this reason) and if you don't have permission specifically, you're not supposed to take photographs at all. It's not actually up to the venue as it does not make any difference to them.

In reality, no one gives a shit, just luck on the door and better to play stupid as you look less like a pro photographer.

But some venues are notorious for being harsh on cameras, even if it's widely known that the artist playing at the venue has a relaxed camera policy.

The security guys are often out-sourced and not actually employed by the venue for a start.

It can cause issues if a venue is not seen to do anything and goes against the wishes of those putting on the show, in fact it would be a breach of contract.

But ultimately it is not a decision taken by the venue.

I've only known one venue to actually have a policy of no cameras.

I think that may apply more in the US Jess. I've never known UK venues to be anal about cameras.

Most definitely. I've had to argue with plenty of venue managers just to get my camera in before, then have it put in writing to show venue security indoors that it was allowed, since I know they will (and usually do) come over to harass me. I was almost refused entry at a Muse show once, but they let me in once I flagged down the house manager that I had been speaking to previously. I don't like arguing and being a pest. But what's right is right, especially if the artist is ok with it. If they are not, I gladly leave the camera at home and enjoy the show without my trusty sidekick.

Archived