NaNoWriMo?

what if

just about halfway there which is a lot but still leaves me quite a bit behind. :(

been checking out the nano website (rather than writing) esp the section on sadistic methods to punish yourself if you don't meet your daily writing quota. fairly funny. I think the "buy a clown doll. every day I don't meet my word count, it sleeps in bed with me" may just work.

Failed. Had a character, had personalities, had a writing style etc...remembered everything but a plot.

What's a plot? :stunned:

Seriously though, you should keep writing. Sometimes you just need to create those amazing characters and they will take care of the rest. Sounds silly (and a bit patronizing, sorry) I know. However, I think when we're trying really hard to make sure we sound a certain way and are constantly critical of what we're writing it's just generally really hard to write anything. The point of nano is just to write and see what happens, not to write a bestseller in a month.

Btw, being that I've read your poetry in the other thread, I can say without doubt that you are a talented writer. :yesey: Who needs a plot anyway, look how well a certain sparkly vampire series did. Four books and hardly a plot between them. :rolleyes: Maybe you should write YA fiction. ;)

(No offense if you like the series. It's really, really not well written, though many seem to like it. That said, I mostly write loads of pretentious crap, so I doubt I'm going to be in position to take her place on the NY Times best seller list any time soon. I'm also sure SM doesn't worry herself with trivial matters such as lack of plot or any loopholes when she checks her ever increasing bank balance). :LOL:

*overuse of smileys observed and noted*

What's a plot? :stunned:

Seriously though, you should keep writing. Sometimes you just need to create those amazing characters and they will take care of the rest. Sounds silly (and a bit patronizing, sorry) I know. However, I think when we're trying really hard to make sure we sound a certain way and are constantly critical of what we're writing it's just generally really hard to write anything. The point of nano is just to write and see what happens, not to write a bestseller in a month.

Btw, being that I've read your poetry in the other thread, I can say without doubt that you are a talented writer. :yesey: Who needs a plot anyway, look how well a certain sparkly vampire series did. Four books and hardly a plot between them. :rolleyes: Maybe you should write YA fiction. ;)

(No offense if you like the series. It's really, really not well written, though many seem to like it. That said, I mostly write loads of pretentious crap, so I doubt I'm going to be in position to take her place on the NY Times best seller list any time soon. I'm also sure SM doesn't worry herself with trivial matters such as lack of plot or any loopholes when she checks her ever increasing bank balance). :LOL:

*overuse of smileys observed and noted*

Character wasn't even that good anyway. I honestly wrote a chapter of it and every time I returned to it my mind would go completely blank. I know what you mean about characters 'taking care of the rest' but this one just refused to. :LOL: I'm not offended. :)

Slag Twilight all you want, I haven't read it, and I'd look inside it occasionally in bookstores to find malformed sentences and pure pulp. I do get what you mean though. I am being too critical.

November's far gone but I'll just keep trying, get another idea and build on it as quickly and erratically as I can. Like you said, being too critical doesn't get anything done, but I have to admit the idea I had was limited, vague and a bit derivative. I just have to forget about it and focus on thinking up another idea.

I'm glad to see that some of you are doing well!!

I failed at this. I haven't written anything since November 6th-ish. Maybe next year? Although I can honestly say I will probably say the same thing next year. I am so unmotivated.

It reminds me of the Apple vs Mac commercials :LOL:

PC: It won't have any of the problems windows vista had

Mac: I think I've heard this before

<flashback>

PC: It won't have any of the problems windows xp had, I promise

NaNoWriMo 2009: I didn't get far this year, maybe next year

NaNoWriMo 2010: I didn't get far this year, maybe next year

I'm glad to see that some of you are doing well!!

I failed at this. I haven't written anything since November 6th-ish. Maybe next year? Although I can honestly say I will probably say the same thing next year. I am so unmotivated.

It reminds me of the Apple vs Mac commercials :LOL:

PC: It won't have any of the problems windows vista had

Mac: I think I've heard this before

<flashback>

PC: It won't have any of the problems windows xp had, I promise

NaNoWriMo 2009: I didn't get far this year, maybe next year

NaNoWriMo 2010: I didn't get far this year, maybe next year

I've just kept writing this year, even though the majority of the book is probably shit with a gem of a paragraph thrown in here and there (gah, hope not :(). I'm at 40,083. Not sure how I'll finish with the holiday, but I'm going to try, even if I have to start copying entries from Urban Dictionary (I kid). Honestly though, I think one of the only reasons I kept going in the beginning is b/c I signed up for the nano cd swap, and would have felt guilty if I didn't send one to the others once I got theirs, plus would have felt like crap when they looked up my user name and saw a big zero. Guilt + deadline = results!

Btw, went to a coffeehouse tonight to try to get some work done. Nice and quiet there, until odd man with molestache (thanks Urban!) comes in with odd girl and sits next to me. He proceeds to talk very loudly about the following subjects in great detail:

1) He believes he owns the last King James Bible ever printed in English.

2) Marijuana is legal, it's the same as if you wanted to smoke some tea leaves or maybe a chrysanthemum.

3) When he flies over San Diego he can smell the ocean.

4) His twin brother can hold his breath for over two minutes but he's dead now.

I'm guessing some of these things may be related.

I'm not sure why I had to tell you this, possibly because it was so ridiculously funny and I needed to tell someone. Thanks creeper guy, you've inspired me. ;)

I finished 51,044 complete

*pats self on the back and smiles smugly*

Yay you! :D

I may have to scramble but I'm hoping to finish. Btw, what's your name over at nano? I'm not what if, though I did reg that name first then promptly forgot about it. Now I'm yes please (:facepalm:).

Congrats again! :party:

• 11 months later...
YOU CAN DO IT!!!

it's so insane, i know, but at the end it's like "that just happened. WEEEEE!!!"

haha.

just drink tons of coffee.

:D

the WEEEEE!!! part made me lol irl.

i'm loving the nanowrimo site, i must say. it's very "YES YOU CAN DO THIS [much like you] AND IT'S FUN. EAT CHOCOLATE AND DRINK COFFEE."

it's going to be interesting, at any rate. :LOL:

Guest lilee360

1667 words to do a day AT LEAST and I still have English coursework to do!!! D':

ah well, should be fun :D:D

though how much fun can a novel written about Hitler's teenage years be? (:

1667 words to do a day AT LEAST and I still have English coursework to do!!! D':

ah well, should be fun :D:D

though how much fun can a novel written about Hitler's teenage years be? (:

explain more? Hitler's teenage years?.... :stunned:

Guest lilee360

ah that was just a short lived idea, i found out the most exciting thing you can write about his early years was that he wiped his bottom with his gcse certificate - or whatever the Austrian equivalent is.

Have you got any ideas? :awesome:

Archived